How's your repertoire?

waggis

Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:01 pm

I'm too lazy to count songs, but since one doesn't need to read the music I was wondering how many of those songs can be played with the eyes closed? I just played two fingerpicking songs I've known for some time.

St. Louis Blues
Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out

I will probably have more trouble with strumming chords.

David

schm040

Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:52 pm

Tovo et al,

This is a great site and haven't been very active in posting, mostly just practicing and .......well practicing.

After all these years of wanting to play music, I finally can say that I am getting there.

When people ask me how its going, I usually say "I don't suck anymore".

One of my largest hurdles is that I really don't like using a pick, so I have grown my nails. This is great for the fingerstyle and Hector stuff, but I lose something trying to play Day Tripper for example using fingers. (unless you are Muriel Anderson or Tommy Emmanual of course).

Strangely, I play much better in the morning, and usually revert to the pick at night. And as most of us probably do, I revert to strumming type campfire stuff after a few cold ones.

I have wanted to put up a medley of some of the stuff Neil has taught me but need a good camera and mic. I am looking forward to any tips from all of you guys, especially on my tone and rhythm, two things I really want to improve on.

My goal a year ago was to learn 100 songs before I kick the bucket, but I now realize that number could be much greater. Hey even Doc Watson said you have to practice!! Also, some songs I am working on and are close:

These I need music for:

Circle Game
Little Green
Both Sides Now
Stairway to Heaven (very close without music)
And I Love Her
Day Tripper (very very close no music)
Here Comes the Sun (pretty much can do with eyes closed but lose myself in arranging the verse, chorus, bridge).
Mississippi Blues
Smokey Mountain Lullaby (found a .pdf at www.acousticfingerstyle.com ) Really hard but cool.
Alices Restaurant, need more time
Open G version of If I Saw you in Heaven
Double Drop D song called Song for George
Open G Jack Fig
Revolution
Double Drop D What a Wonderful World

Now that I have created this list, that is partial I now see, I realize how much I have been working on but still am eager to be able to hear the song in my head and just play. I too am lazy, but am thinking I should keep this list handy with me and do a better job of organizing all my music. I have seen MANY STAGE Performers using cheat sheets. I am not proud.

If anyone is actually reading this tirade, I will give this piece of advice that has really worked for me and that is to try to play along with Neil in the performance section. I was reluctant at first, but have found it accelerates my learning and forces me to "jam" with Neil.

I have been a closet player for so many years that this is like a "coming out" for me. Playing along with Neil does a couple things. One, it forces me to actually tune my guitar :). Second, I find myself playing better in time, as he is my metronome. Sometimes I even just try to play the song with him on a new lesson before I open the tab, just as you would in a campfire session learning a new song.

Before I forget if anyone is still reading this diatribe, I am SO GLAD I now understand swing time thanks to Neil (not saying I am good at it) but I at least get it. So many songs are like that, and it has really helped me with triplets in fingerstyle blues and the shuffle stuff.

More to follow now that I got that out, I guess I need to practice, or maybe I should work on my honey do list instead.

Take care all.

tovo

Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:21 pm

schm040 wrote:
Tovo et al,

Now that I have created this list, that is partial I now see, I realize how much I have been working on but still am eager to be able to hear the song in my head and just play. I too am lazy, but am thinking I should keep this list handy with me and do a better job of organizing all my music. I have seen MANY STAGE Performers using cheat sheets. I am not proud.

If anyone is actually reading this tirade, I will give this piece of advice that has really worked for me and that is to try to play along with Neil in the performance section. I was reluctant at first, but have found it accelerates my learning and forces me to "jam" with Neil.

Take care all.
Just to reinforce, I wasn't trying to imply that using sheet music is somehow wrong, I was more interested in how many tunes people can keep entirely in their heads. It was certainly prompted by another discussion.

I think your method of playing along with Neil is really valid and works for me also.

Hey Matt do us all a favour and write more often. Enjoyed reading your post and nice to have a fresh perspective on things.

Music Junkie

Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:21 pm

I've have a bookshelf full of song books, and two inch ring binder with downloaded songs from Chordie.com and from TG. I can do a decent job of 'comping or following the chord structure of the songs, but that doesn't mean I have the kind of solid and complete arrangement of the kind Neil is teaching on TG. That is what I find new and exciting in TG. There are thousands of songs that use more or less the same chords, and if you strum them you wouldn't be able to tell one from the other. But once you incorporate a distinctive riff, or a few main melody notes into the strumming you start to have something that makes it interesting and recognizable to other listeners.

I probably have a solid list of twenty "go to" songs that I don't need to sweat. And maybe another twenty that I can remember once I come up the some hook into the song.

I have the opposite of a photographic memory for lyrics. Somehow my camera never has film in it. I have been listening to the same Beatle tunes for over forty years, and I still can't remember the songs from beginning to end. Of course, I have the same problem with telling a proper joke -- no talent for that either. So I sort of like and need a chart or lyric sheet. But I think it is a measure of mastery on a song if you can play and sing a song straight out from beginning to end. I am working towards have more of those in my bag.

Wally

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:19 pm

I spent some time about 3 years ago compiling all the songs I could play into a song book so that I had something for folks to sing along with and a memory crutch for myself for that odd elusive chord or phrase. When I hit 200 songs I wanted to know how many I could do without help and I guessed about half. It's actually about 120 by now. I must admit, it did feel good to see how far I'd come even if I'm just playing simple versions on most of them.

I'm lyric driven mostly as I just seem to absorb lyrics and remember songs that capture my interest. But I also get hung up on a song and listen to it repeatedly and sing it all day long. This happened at the weekend with All Right by Toad the wet Sprocket - obscure lyrics so not so easy to note but after singing it through a couple of dozen times they stuck! So I guess it's what catches my attention that sucks me in and I stay with it until I can sing/play it. I can't remember where I put my keys or wallet 3 times a day but do remember lyrics and chord sequences form all those songs. But it's an effortless remembering, there is not much thinking involved it has to come out of the ingrained memory. I remember visually mostly but not exactly photographically like Buddy. Oddly, I don't process verbal instructions very well. When Neil is going on about "first finger on the second string third fret and second finger on the G 3rd string..." I daze out. I have to see or hear what he does or rewind 5 times to pick up the verbal info.

Again, great question Tony and it's great to see newbees dropping in to share stuff with the regulars so you're adding good value to the forums for everyone.

jcrocket

Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:06 am

I’ve often thought about doing what Buddy did, and cataloging my repertoire on the computer (seems every time I start to make a list, I end up to just playing instead).

Anyway, here’s an attempt to list the songs I’d feel comfortable playing for others, on the acoustic, with no visual aids, leaving out the works in progress. In absolutely no particular order:

Jethro Tull - Skating Away, One White Duck, Wind Up, Thick as a Brick, Baker Street Muse, Cross-Eyed Mary, With You There To Help Me, Wond’ring Aloud, Wond’ring Again, Dr. Bogenbroom, Life’s A Long Song

Neil Young - Old Man, Ohio, Needle and the Damage Done, A Man Needs a Maid, Alabama, Southern Man, Ambulance Blues, Albuquerque, Speakin’ Out, Don’t Let It Bring You Down, Cinnamon Girl, Heart of Gold, Out on the Weekend, Down by the River

Jackson Browne - Barricades of Heaven, For Everyman, Your Bright Baby Blues, These Days, For a Dancer

Beatles - Here Comes The Sun, I’m Only Sleeping, Strawberry Fields, You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away, Michelle, Good Day Sunshine, A Day in the Life, No Reply, While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Bob Dylan - Idiot Wind, It’s All Over Now Baby Blue, Simple Twist of Fate, Lay Lady Lay

Grateful Dead - Brokedown Palace, Black Peter, Loser, Uncle John’s Band, Jack Straw, Ramble on Rose, Black-Throated Wind, Sugaree, Dire Wolf, High Time

Guess Who - Sour Suite

Arlo Guthrie - City of New Orleans, Coming Into Los Angeles

Barenaked Ladies - If I Fall, Brian Wilson, Light Up My Room

Beach Boys - In My Room, Don’t Worry Baby

Blind Faith - Had To Cry Today, Sea of Joy, Can’t Find My Way Home, Presence of the Lord

Brook Benton - Rainy Night in Georgia

Cat Stevens - Wild World

Crosby & Nash - Page 43

Dave Mason - The Lonely One

David Bowie - Space Oddity

Derek & the Dominos - Bell Bottom Blues

Doors - The Crystal Ship

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Friends of Distinction - Going in Circles

George Harrison - Give Me Love, Dark Horse, Far East Man

Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman

James Taylor - Fire and Rain, Carolina in my Mind

Jayhawks - One Man’s Problem, Take Me With You When You Go

Jim Croce - Operator

Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe

Johnny Cash - Drive On

Joni Mitchell - Amelia

Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven, Over the Hills and Far Away

Little Feat - Bill’s River Blues, Fighting the Mosquito Wars, Willin’

Live - Untitled Track

Los Lobos - When the Circus Comes

Moody Blues - The Story In Your Eyes, Tuesday Afternoon, Nights in White Satin

Paul Simon - Papa Hobo, Duncan, Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard, Kodachrome, Slip Slidin’ Away, I Am A Rock, Homeward Bound

Phish - Sample in a Jar

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here, Breathe, Brain Damage, Comfortably Numb

Police - Roxanne

Ray LaMontagne - Shelter

Robin Trower - I Can’t Wait Much Longer

Rolling Stones - Angie, Wild Horses

Son Volt - Highways and Cigarettes, Ten Second News

Steely Dan - Razor Boy, Rikki Don’t Lose That Number

Three Dog Night - Easy to be Hard

Tom Petty - Mary Jane’s Last Dance

Traffic - Evening Blue

Uncle Tupelo - Whiskey Bottle

The Who - Behind Blue Eyes

Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

ZZ Top - Hot, Blue & Righteous

Turned out to be more than I would have guessed. I can tell you that, if I had the vocal range of Al or Chris, the list would be longer. One thing that really jumps out - with a few exceptions, I'm pretty firmly stuck in the 60's and 70's. It almost looks like I was stranded on a desert island with a guitar and an 8-track player somewhere around 1979.

Jeff

haoli25

Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:25 am

Damn, that's a great list, Jeff. I am envious.

Bill

tovo

Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:32 am

haoli25 wrote:
Damn, that's a great list, Jeff. I am envious.

Bill
Me too Jeff, that's awesome! Can I ask out of interest how long you have been playing?

jcrocket

Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:20 am

I've dabbled in it on and off since I was a teenager, but never really got very serious until I bought my first acoustic about five years ago, and only got the nerve to start singing when I play maybe a couple of years ago. I've known bits and pieces of some of those songs for years, but it's only been the past few years that I've focused on playing and singing the songs from start to finish.

From a purely guitar standpoint, I would guess that 95% of my list would be 4's or below on the TG difficulty rating scale. With many of them (especially the Dylan songs), the real challenge was memorizing all the lyrics.

Jeff

willem

Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:23 am

buddy wrote:
I can see the tab sheet and lyrics in my head as I play the song.

Bud
I had that a few times,,its a great thing to have.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic