How's your repertoire?

tovo

Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:09 am

michelew wrote:
Did I just hear Chris volunteer for a spot as guest teacher? Others heard that right?

:P

Michele
Queen of Hearts Juice Newton!!! I guess it's OK for an Englishman to play such tunes! :P

Seriously now Chris...impressive list of tunes in the kitbag!

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:32 am

Michele, Save me! I can actually play and sing all those songs out of my head but my playing is 90% pure camp fire hero stuff. I've only just begun learning a few riffs and and licks here at TG and I'm finally understanding the timing issues which I often gloss over because I've haven't quite got something right. And I have only ever once given advice on playing a song on the forums because I really don't know enough. I just know lots of songs from a singer's point of view.

And Tony, I really love that Juice Newton song! ;-)

I must admit, I spent an hour wondering whether I should answer being torn between being chuffed at myself and appearing a show off!!!

suziko

Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:02 am

Great topic, Tony, and here's my question:

From time to time I have tried building up my repertoire of songs that i can play w/0 looking at the TAB or chords. I'd say right now I have maybe 5-10 songs under my belt. But I do find that it's so hard to remember what the chords are in a song, and when you switch to which chord! For example, I spent a while last year trying to memorize the chords to American Pie. It's an easy enough song to play, and a great campfire song. But the blasted thing has about 12 chords in it, and I can never remember when I should switch to which one? (eg. "Ok, I'm on Am now.... do I go to Em or C?") If I switch to the wrong chord, I know it, but at that point it's already too late.

So, any suggestions? Or is it just a matter of practice, practice, practice?

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:06 am

.... yes Suzi, just practising the sequences until they sit. But after a while, you know there are certain sequences that are the same or similar and one song can help you remember 10 others.

willem

Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:10 am

suziko wrote:
Great topic, Tony, and here's my question:

From time to time I have tried building up my repertoire of songs that i can play w/0 looking at the TAB or chords. I'd say right now I have maybe 5-10 songs under my belt. But I do find that it's so hard to remember what the chords are in a song, and when you switch to which chord! For example, I spent a while last year trying to memorize the chords to American Pie. It's an easy enough song to play, and a great campfire song. But the blasted thing has about 12 chords in it, and I can never remember when I should switch to which one? (eg. "Ok, I'm on Am now.... do I go to Em or C?") If I switch to the wrong chord, I know it, but at that point it's already too late.

So, any suggestions? Or is it just a matter of practice, practice, practice?
Hello Susy,,maybe a tip,,i never done it but maybe find the logic in the chord numbers,,you know the key,,you know all the chords,,you know it all by his numbers,,hey i must try that myself..let me know.

willem

Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:17 am

Chris i see you write out you index yours songbook,,you at to type them out memory(the titles)..

LOL

willem

Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:26 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Michele, Save me! I can actually play and sing all those songs out of my head but my playing is 90% pure camp fire hero stuff. I've only just begun learning a few riffs and and licks here at TG and I'm finally understanding the timing issues which I often gloss over because I've haven't quite got something right. And I have only ever once given advice on playing a song on the forums because I really don't know enough. I just know lots of songs from a singer's point of view.

And Tony, I really love that Juice Newton song! ;-)

I must admit, I spent an hour wondering whether I should answer being torn between being chuffed at myself and appearing a show off!!!
If you are a good singer and you are,,you can smugling what you want,,who noticed,,and when they sing with you,,well give the party..

ffsooo3

Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:48 am

Chris, VERY impressive. I wouldn't be able to remember all the song TITLES (in the list) never mind all the CHORDS in all the songs! BTW, why don't you have a video for each song up on your YouTube channel?

michelew

Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:47 am

OK I can't even dream of going anywhere near Chris' million songs and counting. But, I've memorised 13 songs if you forgive a few pauses and stumbles into an incorrect chord and then correction.

Of course I can't claim to be able to play them without panicking in front of an audience where chances are they will all fly out of my head as soon as I think anyone is really paying attention.

Michele

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:00 am

willem wrote:
Chris i see you write out you index yours songbook,,you at to type them out memory(the titles)..

LOL
Willem my friend, I deleted about 80 songs from the songbook list that I can't honestly say, I don't need the cheat sheet for. There are some there that I need to have the sheet just for just one chord I always miss or one line I forget how it starts. I have always memorised lyrics from songs I like so, over the years it just adds up. Now at TG I'm learning to play much more sophisticated and interesting (not to mention more correct) versions of these songs.

Suzi, my version of American Pie gets by with about 8 chords so you must be using the Amazing Variation Version! It helps to simplify. :-)

Michele, I still get that thing where a song I know really well will fly right out the window if I feel nervous. My trick is to only put myself in a situation where it's like sitting around a camp fire and everyone joins in and you feel you are playing WITH them not FOR them. That sort of stage situation makes me really up-tight and I avoid it and find mental strategies to handle it. Otherwise I can't even recall my name! Getting over the nerves was my biggest challenge and it took me quite a while.

Daryl, yeah I need a play list or I go blank too. When I have a list I'm fine and it triggers all the memorised stuff... otherwise I can hardly recall 30 songs. Odd.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic