How's your repertoire?

Music Junkie

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:56 am

My list while looking at sheet music is impressive these days, but without sheet music it is quite limited.... :)

My My Hey Hey - Neil Young
Rocky Mountain High - John Denver
Rivendell - Rush
Holding Her and Loving You - Earl Thomas Conley
Take It On The Run - REO Speedwagon
Southern Cross - CSN
Just A Song Before I Go - CSN
Much Too Young - Garth Brooks
Indigo Passion - Atlanta Rhythm Section
One Step Up - Bruce Springsteen
Barricades of Heaven - Jackson Browne
Looking Into You - Jackson Browne
You and Me - Lifehouse
After The Goldrush - Neil Young
Lyin' Eyes - Eagles
Sister Golden Hair - America
Highwayman - Highwaymen

Might one or two more, but not many...... :unsure:

J

Craig

Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:18 am

Good question Tony...made me think. I guess about 10 that I would feel really confident in knowing from start to finish. Probably another 10 that (like Suzi) I can go along pretty good until I forget that one chord! The Beatles' Two of Us pops into mind...easy enough song to play, then I always forget the first chord in the chorus...then I would normally curse out loud for not remembering...again!!
Great list Chris!
Craig

Chasplaya

Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:14 pm

Great list from Chris, I guess if I was to add in TG camp fire versions I might get a few more but not many, I have quite a list that I still need the chart in front as a safety blanket, like Suzi's American Pie just way too many chords! It can be frustrating as usually its the same part that trips me up, must be a mind thing as these have been practised time and time again.

haoli25

Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:42 pm

I just go with the flow. My memory is on permanent 'SHUFFLE', so there are songs that I can play today that I couldn't remember yesterday. It's always a treat when a 'Golden Oldie' that I haven't played in 20 years comes around. :laugh: :laugh:

buddy

Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:28 pm

Tony,

Good topic. I keep a list on the computer of songs that I know that I can print out and take along with me as a reference when I play away from home. I am up to 71 songs that I can play without looking at the sheet. I try to play each of these once a week so I can keep them fresh. I just rotate through my list during the week. The list really helps me to remember the songs and to keep up on them.

Bud

tovo

Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far. It's not about "my list is bigger than yours" so Chris there's no reason to feel like you are bragging.

It does however lead me to ask another question that has been on my mind. Of the 2 really big lists that stand out (Chris and Buddy) I wonder, are you guys individuals who find it easy to memorize lyrics or are you in the camp of the lyrics not being important to you?

Obviously I am wondering if there is any connection between knowing lyrics and remembering chord sequences. I think there is.

buddy

Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:00 pm

Tony,

I find it more difficult if I try to memorize the lyrics. What works for me is to play the song along with the original artist and then the lyrics just come naturally to me. I do have somewhat of a photographic memory and this probably helps me a lot as well to learn songs as I can see the tab sheet and lyrics in my head as I play the song.

Bud

jayswett

Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm

My list would be short; maybe five songs. The problem for me is memorizing the lyrics. The chords are not as much of an issue, but learning the lyrics with confidence is a real challenge.

schm040

Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. For me it is a puzzle. For example, I remember songs that I shouldn't be able to and the ones that are so easy I don't. In general, I remember the instrumental songs way better, and the easier strumming ones least. Though I am getting better at the "3" chord songs as I understand the theory better and the strumming. A good example is America, which I could never seem to get from the tab but now that Neil explained 3/4 time strumming and following along with him on the video I can nail it.

As for the instrumentals, it amazes me that I remember the following note for note in my head: (some are shown with % memorized)
On the Horizon
Windy and Warm
Winter Wonderland Solo
Frosty the Snowman solo
GodFather Theme
A Time for Us
Pachelbel's Canon in D (75%)
Dear Prudence
Blackbird
Anji (50%)
Yesterday
Imagine Solo
I Want You
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
Her Majesty (this one still amazes me, learned if from a great Beatles book)
Oh Suzanna

I have more trouble with the straight strumming songs but I can usually do the following right now without too much trouble:

Wish you Were Here (solo and strumming, NOT Neil's amazing chord solo in preview, though I want to)
Watching the Wheels
Here Comes A Regular
Brain Damage
Across the Universe
Waiting on a Friend
Wild Horses (took me forever!!! for some unknown reason)
Another Brick in the Wall (remembered it the fastest of all for some reason, still a little shaky on the little run)
From the Beginning
Let It Be
Fire and Rain Fingerstyle more so than strum!
Margaritaville (again took me forever, but so easy!)
Old Man
Ventura Highway (only after hours and hours of practice, I know know the leads in three ways and several strumming patterns)
Norwegian Wood (don't know why but I know the chords, still working a bit on the strumming)
You've Got to Hide Your Love Away (love strumming this song)
Proud Mary (I can pretty much nail the chord solo)
Friend of the Devil
Ripple Chord Solo (about 90%, still working on getting the swing time and melody / strum together)
Something (80%, still having trouble with the bridge)
Have You Ever Seen the Rain
Who'll Stop the Rain

These are the ones that if I was asked too, I could write down the tab without assistance. You would think I would be some logic to this. I have tried every lesson on this site, most several times. There are other songs I am learning but I wanted to get this list out.

I think this is an excellent forum question, and has got me thinking that making this kind of list is healthy for the player.

As for why I can remember hard songs often quicker than easy ones, that's anyone's guess.

Also, just because I said I remember the chords / notes and rhythm, doesn't mean I play them well.

I also have two homes, and at the second home I don't usually take the sheet music with me. I have found that practicing without music has helped me tremendously because I am forced to use my head and ears.

I can tell everyone this to be sure, my list and confidence level was much shorter before Totally Guitars. Thanks Neil et al.

Matt
Taylor Acoustic-love it!

tovo

Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:49 pm

Hey Matt your list is pretty impressive in number of tunes and complexity of some of the tunes. It's nice to have your participation as well.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic