So I rented this 12 string...

suziko

Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:51 am

Congrats, Al! I never thought about seeing if I could RENT a 12 string from my guitar shop. I've often thought about trying out a 12 string, it does seem like the logical next step, but kind of balk at the thought of buying yet another guitar this year. But I sure would like to try one out for a month. I can't wait to see a video of you playing it.

Also, thanks to Bear for the informative post on 12 strings. All good information for when I DO decide to buy.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:24 am

I pick on the 12 string with mixed success... sometimes works really well others can be frustrating. I have mentioned before that I often remove the octave strings on the the lowest 2, E & A just to relieve the pressure and get clean bass notes when picking. I only have 10 on right now. I also tune down a half step some times for that jangling sound... helps on the voice on many songs. Hope you flip us some songs AL! ;-)

BigBear

Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:20 am

AcousticAl wrote:
Bear- Thanks for all your suggestions. I didn't think you could fingerpick on a 12? I can't imagine it would be too easy.

Al- Absolutely!! John Denver was the master but Paul Simon is right there with him. And Roger McGuinn uses a combination pick with fingerpicks on his middle and ring fingers. That's where that great sound on Mr. Tambourine Man, Turn, Turn, Turn and Eight Miles High comes from.

I've tried to master this technique but it will take work and Roger has about a 40 year head start on me! Oh, plus he has musical talent! lol!

I really believe the songs you can play on the 12 are endless. It just has such a big sound they don't get used as often as they should!

Have fun buddy! :cheer:

dennisg

Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:42 am

BigBear wrote:
It just has such a big sound they don't get used as often as they should!
I think it's precisely because they have such a big sound that they don't get used more often.

I started paying attention to 12-strings many years ago when I saw a stage production of a musical called Begger's Opera in which there were about 20 guitars on stage at all times. Only one of the guitars was a 12-string, and yet it completely dominated all the others.

Because of its gigantic sound, it's difficult to blend a 12-string into a band in an acoustic setting. But I love the sound of 'em.

BigBear

Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:11 pm

dennisg wrote:
BigBear wrote:
It just has such a big sound they don't get used as often as they should!
I think it's precisely because they have such a big sound that they don't get used more often.

I started paying attention to 12-strings many years ago when I saw a stage production of a musical called Begger's Opera in which there were about 20 guitars on stage at all times. Only one of the guitars was a 12-string, and yet it completely dominated all the others.

Because of its gigantic sound, it's difficult to blend a 12-string into a band in an acoustic setting. But I love the sound of 'em.

That's exactly right! Even at a jam session you have to be really careful not to just blow away the other guitars, especially with my jumbo. But the sound is so great!!

NKenny

Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:02 pm

Tony it sounds like you know me, sounds like a lot of things I have bought in the past

Kenny

jayswett

Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:58 pm

This is probably not a popular position, but I'd recommend against purchasing a 12 string. Difficult to play, hard to maintain. My guess is that it would not get played much, and over time, you'd prefer to spend time playing your Fender or Yamaha. Renting is a good idea. I have little experience with 12 strings, but the few times that I've played them, I can't say I enjoyed it much. I will be curious to find out what you decide to do. Good luck, in any case.

AcousticAl

Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:08 pm

jayswett wrote:
This is probably not a popular position, but I'd recommend against purchasing a 12 string. Difficult to play, hard to maintain. My guess is that it would not get played much, and over time, you'd prefer to spend time playing your Fender or Yamaha. Renting is a good idea. I have little experience with 12 strings, but the few times that I've played them, I can't say I enjoyed it much. I will be curious to find out what you decide to do. Good luck, in any case.

I'm open to all opinions, Jay- and you may be right. I have this rental for a month and I'll see how much I play it after the novelty wears off for me. I am glad I didn't rush into it like I normally do with these types of purchases.

Thanks for your input.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic