So I RECORDED this 12 string... 'Patience' by G'nR

AcousticAl

Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:19 pm

...you knew it wouldn't take me long :)

'Patience' by Guns 'n Roses. Sorry it's only half the tune-- the wheels fell off soon after the edit. Just wanted to record a sample and get it up here.

I played this a long time ago on my 6-string and shelved it. What a change on a 12-- very tough to fret the strings properly and get the hammer-ons clean.
And Bill is right- my fingers are a wreck! But it sure is fun to play!!

Let me know your thoughts.

ceaser67

Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi al.
That sounds really good,i like yourself have never had a 12 string before,you got ME thinking lol,
Tommy

haoli25

Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:51 pm

Excellent, Al. I really liked that video. You sounded great....the 12-string wasn't bad either. :)

If you decide to get a capo for that 12-string, get a PAIGE 12-string capo. I have tried them all over the years and this one actually works.

Enjoy those new calluses. :) Thanks again for the post.

Bill

tovo

Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:28 pm

Let me see....how do I put it? I freakin LOVED it! Man that was good. The 12 string was booming and your voice was just great for this tune Al. I absolutely adore this song and you MUST finish it. I can strum it OK but you had a lot of the little nuances in there the hammer ons and melody notes that make it such a compelling tune.

Finish it off PLEASE.

Great work.

BigBear

Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:43 pm

Nice job Al!! It's not as radical of a change as you thought is it? I think guitarists get freaked out by the big headstock and all those strings. But it isn't that difficult. You will get bigger calluses though!

I think your problem with hammer-ons is more about getting used to this guitar. The centers of the string pairs are just slightly further apart on a 12 (usually) so your mind/hands think the strings are where they should be on your 6 string. So you hit a few more clankers on the 12.

No question the 12 requires more accuracy but the big sound masks a few more sins. Where it gets fun is trying to fret an A-shaped barre chord at the 9th fret! It will take a real good setup to play that cleanly. So instead you learn which chords are even playable at certain positions. It part of the fun!!

Thanks for sharing this video! I enjoyed it!

Cheers! :cheer:

RicksPick

Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:52 pm

My Thoughts

Proud, Almost brought tears to my eyes
The way family can make you do

Enjoyed that Al
You got talent my friend

Just finished watching an emotional film
And you nearly finished me off

RicksPick :blush:

heatndude

Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:03 pm

DUDE THAT IS AWESOME ! As Tony said please finish it. The guitar sounds good I may need tom go to the store this weekend. First I will see what you have to say about that monster first, see if you wear off the end of your fingers with it.

Mark

buddy

Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:04 pm

Al,

That was really cool. Nice and relaxed and very smooth. I agree that you need to finish this so we can all enjoy it.

Bud

MarkM

Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:34 pm

Al,

Well done!! Not bad for pulling out an old song on a new 12 string. I thought you played and sang that really good. Keep it up. Now tune it down a whole step and play some Sugar Mountain!!!!!

MarkM

AcousticAl

Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:35 pm

Tommy- thanks for checking it out.

Bill- I'll keep my eye out for that type of kapo (if I keep this guitar) :)

Tony- I can feel the excitement in your typing. Makes it worthwhile posting these knowing that people enjoy them or find it interesting.

Rick- Thanks again for all of your advice and tips. You're right about being freaked out about 12's. I was always afraid to even pick one up at the guitar store. Not any more! But they do take some getting used to. I'm really having trouble with the D-chord, as you may have noticed from the video. I've got pretty thin fingers, and I guess I've got less pad available when I fret a 'D'

Other Rick- Really?? Good thing I didn't nail it and get through the whole song or you'd be an absolute MESS!!

Mark & Buddy- Thanks for requesting that I finish it. I will.

MarkM- YES! I was thinking of Neil Young and what would sound good on a 12. I mentioned in my other thread that I tried 'Needle' and it wasn't working for me. Could be because it was the first song I had ever played on a 12 (and that was yesterday!) 'Sugar Mountain' would be great.

I should also mention that the guitar is tuned down half a step for this song if anyone was trying to play along.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic