'Patience' - FULL version - 12 string

smilinsteve

Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:49 am

Great Job!

Id a smiled and not been able to whistle for many takes...
that in itself was great!

Gotta love those 12 strings !

Keep at it!

Smilinsteve :)

AcousticAl

Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:27 am

Pete- you may be right. Although possibly not this one unless it gets easier for me.

Marc- Thank you. I think someone else wrote that I went a whole year without singing on TG. Now I seem to do it in every vid! One of my goals was to be able to play and sing at the same time, so I think I'm getting somewhere at least.

Steve- Thanks for taking the time to view and comment. I read your bio, and it looks like you have a lot of experience. Any tips or recommendations you have for 12's?

AcousticAl

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:42 pm

Something I forgot to mention...

At the end of recording this, I started to get a numbness in my wrist and fingers while playing. Could be the amount I've been playing lately- or could be the fingerings in this particular song are messing with me. It could even be the length of the neck on this guitar. I seems a bit short to me for some reason.

I can handle finger pain- but numbness is never a good thing.

I need to leave the 12 alone for a bit and see if it subsides.

tovo

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:46 pm

AcousticAl wrote:

\
If it's "comfortably numb" it's a very good thing!

jayswett

Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:02 am

That was great, and once again I am amazed with your singing. Your progress as a performer is improving by leaps and bounds. If TG organizes a guitar camp, I'd love to play/learn that with you.

rapsidy

Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:40 am

Hey AXEL???

i mean Al :)

simply awesome

a part from the obvious little indiscretions :P

playing was great

vocals were great axelesk!!!

vid dubbing back up vocalsit awesome

is this a TG song? as it is one of my favs that i tinker with because i dont know how to play it properly. i am off to check it out if it is

i honestly thought you sung that really well as he is probably one of the hardest voices to emulate, not that you were trying but its hard to get the original out of your head and make your own.

so well done

Brad

AcousticAl

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:05 am

jayswett wrote:
That was great, and once again I am amazed with your singing. Your progress as a performer is improving by leaps and bounds. If TG organizes a guitar camp, I'd love to play/learn that with you.

Jay- YOU'RE ON!

AcousticAl

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:08 am

rapsidy wrote:
Hey AXEL???

i mean Al :)
simply awesome
a part from the obvious little indiscretions :P
playing was great
vocals were great axelesk!!!
vid dubbing back up vocalsit awesome
is this a TG song? as it is one of my favs that i tinker with because i dont know how to play it properly. i am off to check it out if it is
i honestly thought you sung that really well as he is probably one of the hardest voices to emulate, not that you were trying but its hard to get the original out of your head and make your own.
so well done

Brad
Ha! I like that.. Ax-AL!
My wife actually just watched the video and was really disappointed that I didn't imitate Axel's voice at the end.
Maybe I'll do another overdub of it- although it would be goofy for sure.

This isn't a TG song- but the chords are really easy. Just the hammer-ons that take work. I actually left most of them out in this version because I was concentrating on singing. :)

sbutler

Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:49 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Something I forgot to mention...

At the end of recording this, I started to get a numbness in my wrist and fingers while playing. Could be the amount I've been playing lately- or could be the fingerings in this particular song are messing with me. It could even be the length of the neck on this guitar. I seems a bit short to me for some reason.

I need to leave the 12 alone for a bit and see if it subsides.
You may be straining and irritating the nerve channels in your wrist -- i.e. carpal tunnel syndrome. Thumb, index and middle finger usually carpal tunnel; ring finger and pinky usually the ulnar nerve through the elbow that descends to the wrist.

I've got both that bother me.

smilinsteve

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:12 pm

Amazing that you should answer about straining....I was thinking the same thing...
Ive taught my students to make sure their arms are relaxed, all the way up to their "neck" hand, and it takes a long time to finally play with your arm relaxed all night, but the benefits are well worth it.
I was also going to suggest looking into lightening the guage of the strings, and seeing if the action is too high...there are a lot of factors in this situation...both in the gutar and the players arm.....
You're doing well though...shouldn't take much time and insight to get control of the situation!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic