Wich song are you working on?

cavi

Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:42 pm

I like most here work on a variety of songs at the same time, however I loosly classify them into main songs and far off songs. I will work on two main songs at a time, one large long term goal song, and one that is shorter. Right now the long term songs are classical gas, I am almost done with section A and intro, and the shorter song is Hector's Greensleves, which is almost close, in other words a couple more weeks. I then have my far off songs like is there anyone out there, whch I work on but slowly not focusing much on it. I do play part of it every day, but do not concentrae much on it at this point, when I get closer I will up it to a main goal. I am also working on Hector's Canon in D, it is beautiful, but most of the time I am too lazy to change the tuning for now, I will probably end up leaving one guitar set for it, but still I really practice more at work than at home, and I only have one classical at work......

Music Junkie

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:01 pm

Hi Suzi, nice to meet you! :)

You also have lots of songs up your sleeve, wauw!

And you're right, there are so many great songs to play and one gets easily distracted, that certainly goes for me too, or I'm just to impatient when I cán't play something immediately or not fast enough, well I guess you know what I mean.. ;)

Anyway, hope to see a video of you anytime soon! From your list, I really like Fields of gold, Here comes the sun and Needle and the damage done and of course LOLA, it was the first single I bought when they released it again, gréat song!

All the best,

Vanessa

suziko wrote:
Good question!

Like Al, I've started going back over some songs that I learned this past year, to try to really refine the techniques I learned (or was supposed to learn!) in them. For example, I've been working on:

1. Needle and the Damage Done and Friend of the Devil to refine my flatpicking technique. A newer song that I'm working on with that same technique is Simon and Garfunkle's America

2. Sister Golden Hair and Amy MacDonald's This is the Life for barre chords

3. Here Comes the Sun, Pancho and Lefty and Fields of Gold for various fingerpicking techniques.

For me, the hardest thing is to not get distracted by a new song, and so forget to keep working on things I maybe SHOULD work on. Just yesterday I got sidetracked by the lesson for Lola! Too many good songs, not enough time!

Suzi

martinmandan

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:18 pm

Yep I agree Mark, It's great to see what everybody is doing!

And I agree about the tuning stuff, I do have more than one acoustic guitar, but 'just' óne steelstring, gotta get myself another one! (OMG G.A.S. :ohmy: ) I'm also working on Suite Judy Blue Eyes, and it drives me nuts, tuning it up and down!

BTW. Beautiful song, The River, am very curious what you come up with!

(Good that you mention it, I have to take a look at Goodbye blue skies as well, oh gosh, anóther song! :laugh: )

MarkM wrote:
Venessa,

Another great question. It's fun to see what people are up to. Such a wide variety of songs. For me I'm kind of all over the place as well. Now that I go my second acoustic guitar I can work on different things at the same time. One guitar is in D modal tuning where I am working on Suite Judy Blues Eyes as well. Its great to be able to just pick up the guitar and not worry about retuning it. As for the other songs it's a combination of fine tuning some of the older stuff I've been working on as well as some new stuff. Some in the Target program and some not.

Still trying to clean up Brain Damage with the vocals.
Goodbye Blue Sky - This is pretty fun to play
Sister Golden Hair
Bruce Springsteen's The River - Hopefully I'll get this one down soon. I'd love to post it.
Going back and cleaning up Cat Stevens Wild World

Now after seeing Wally I realize that I need to start on some of the Christmas songs. Well that's about it for the moment but I'm sure there will be more added soon.

MarkM

boldent

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:27 pm

Haha, yeah I know what you mean (I've spend só much time just downloading all the stuff, afraid that I might lose it..) and I think we all agree on that one, there are just to many great songs! And trying to keep up takes such a lot of time, guess I'm very lucky that I'm able to make a living teaching and this site just makes me a better teacher and a better player, so I have all the reasons in the world to hang out here! :cheer: (But I have to admit, the forum keeps me occupied as well, haha!)

So will you post a video playing your Les Paul? And you're right, it's a lot of fun playing one!

eagle670 wrote:
I, like most of you, find myself working on several different songs at the same time. I spent alot of time working on my fingerpicking techniques, as well as my strumming. Right now my favorite couple of songs to play are Wild World and From the Beginning, both have a little of everything in them, some nice runs, some good strumming and some real nice picking. Recently I purchased a Les Paul electric guitar and have been working on all of those types lessons. I must say that I hadn't played an electric guitar since I was in high school. I had forgotten how much fun it is to play. I tell you what this site is almost a full time job for me to keep up with. I try to print off all of the lessons as they are released and I have filled two 4" binders. When this site first came on line I told myself that I would learn a song all the way through before starting on a new lesson, well that thought has gone by the waste side. There is just too many good songs here that I want to learn. I keep telling myself to focus, but these guys keep putting shiney things in front of me that steer me elsewhere.

I wouldn't want it any other way!

Kevin

tovo

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:51 pm

I'm working primarily on "The Scientist" by Coldplay. A piano led tune but it works really well on just one acoustic guitar I think.

Then I am working on flatpicking "Time of your life" by Greenday. Great tune and good for pick control.

I have been working on "Hey there Delilah" for a while and that is coming along.

I was thinking of going back to "Sister Golden Hair" which I butchered a while back and see if I have learned enough to do it a bit better.

I really want to take on "Just Breathe" by Pearl Jam but I've only had a little play with it at the minute.

reiver

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:52 pm

Yep, discipline (or disciple? you're like Michele, haha!), now thát's the keyword! :P

And Vincent, oh yes that's also a beautiful song!

But of course I know what you mean, there's just a lot to do in life...would it help if I say that I'm looking forward for a video of that one from you? I'm sure you can, after Autumn Leaves! ;)

dennisg wrote:
I've been messing around with an old Don McLean song called Vincent (Starry starry night) and the Sheryl Crow tune Strong Enough. Problem is, my own personal disciple keeps interrupting me to go floss my teeth, balance my checkbook, and ponder my future. Stupid disciple!

Nesh, if you PM me, I can tell you where to get the tab for the Eva Cassidy version of Autumn Leaves. The powers that be at TG don't want me to mention in public the name of the tab site.

cavi

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:59 pm

I couldn't agree with you more (if that's good, I don't know, haha!)! Intro's are such a lot of fun, they sound great and you've got people's attention immediately (if it comes to that of course, lol!)!

When I started my journey of becoming a better guitarplayer I signed up for this site wich specialized in doing intro's, they are nothing compared to this site, but it was cool for the time being and it gave me the push that I needed at the time.

So what are the intro's you're working on??

Craig wrote:
Besides Croce's, I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song...I've been on an "Intro kick". It's probably not good to learn just an intro and not the whole song, but Im finding that most intros have a combination of techniques that I need to work on ( picking melody notes, slides, hammer-ons, and pull-offs) that help my overall playing....somewhat. Plus, they just plain sound cool!

dekotaj

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:08 pm

Hi Cavi!

Well you have great goals! And not the most easy ones too, but understand you like the challenge, well often I feel that too!

I already learned to play Classical gas from another teacher, but Neil teaches it differently. I think I saw your post asking a question about this, but I don't have the answers. I'd like to learn this song again, the Neil's way, but I have to admit that I was kinda happy that I finally got it down, haha, feel like I have to start over, wich is not completely true of course, but still a couple of changes have to be made then, guess I will eventually!

Anyway, do you intend to post some of the songs that you're working on? Cause that'd be great of course! ;)

cavi wrote:
I like most here work on a variety of songs at the same time, however I loosly classify them into main songs and far off songs. I will work on two main songs at a time, one large long term goal song, and one that is shorter. Right now the long term songs are classical gas, I am almost done with section A and intro, and the shorter song is Hector's Greensleves, which is almost close, in other words a couple more weeks. I then have my far off songs like is there anyone out there, whch I work on but slowly not focusing much on it. I do play part of it every day, but do not concentrae much on it at this point, when I get closer I will up it to a main goal. I am also working on Hector's Canon in D, it is beautiful, but most of the time I am too lazy to change the tuning for now, I will probably end up leaving one guitar set for it, but still I really practice more at work than at home, and I only have one classical at work......

michelew

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:18 pm

dennisg wrote:
I've been messing around with an old Don McLean song called Vincent (Starry starry night) and the Sheryl Crow tune Strong Enough. Problem is, my own personal disciple keeps interrupting me to go floss my teeth, balance my checkbook, and ponder my future. Stupid disciple!
Ha ha. You crack me up Dennis. Good thing I wasn't drinking tea or I would have been wearing it now (i would have spat it all over my iPad)?

But, contrary to the recent conjecture from a certain all round sportsman, model and yodelling adventurer that likes to photograph himself with fish, I swear that my disciple/discipline was not a deliberate attempt to confuse our Dutch friends. I simply manage to trip over and confuse myself often. And I'm using the 'it was after midnight here' excuse too.

redpick

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi Tovo!

Don't tell me you're still in that hotel-room, are you?

As for The Scientist, that's definitely a guitar-song ( so I believe you when you say that it works really well on a guitar! :cheer: Great song to play and pretty easy, will you post it?

Actually, I think 'Just Breathe' was the first video I saw from Neil! All the tabs were so inaccurate, so he filled in all the gabs and I finally got it down accurately! Great song, very fast Travis-picking wich is a great exercise, if you can play in that tempo, you can Travis-pick anything! ;) Good luck on this one, feel free to ask questions if you get stuck!

tovo wrote:
I'm working primarily on "The Scientist" by Coldplay. A piano led tune but it works really well on just one acoustic guitar I think.

Then I am working on flatpicking "Time of your life" by Greenday. Great tune and good for pick control.

I have been working on "Hey there Delilah" for a while and that is coming along.

I was thinking of going back to "Sister Golden Hair" which I butchered a while back and see if I have learned enough to do it a bit better.

I really want to take on "Just Breathe" by Pearl Jam but I've only had a little play with it at the minute.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic