Wich song are you working on?

tombo1230

Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:25 am

Oh haha, you were talking in metaphores, now I got it! :blush: Thanks for explaining! :) (I'm looking forward to your Landslide!)

michelew wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:
Wauw, I'm very impressed! That's quite a list, you're head must be spinning! :P

Good to hear that your motivation is back (I've missed the part that it was gone because of you being away from home....? And what do you mean by your disciple?), cause I'm really curious for your next post!

And yes, the forum is a fun place to be and it's really nice to watch everyone play! ;)

How is your singing along going? I don't think that I've seen a video from you doing so, is that right, or did I just miss that as well?

Oh yes, and another thing, Autumn Leaves, beautiful song, but unfortunately not a lesson at TG, so what tabs/sheets are you using?

I'm sorry, lots of questions! (you'll get distracted again, lol!) :laugh:

michelew wrote:
My disciple is out to lunch at the moment. So yep, WAY too many things. But, my motivation is back (after leaving home for a long time) so I might just be able to finish something to the point of posting again within the next month, maybe...
I've been practising most of those songs for about a couple of months now, so while I'm jumping from one to the other, it's not a dizzying practise schedule.

No problem about the questions. I used too many idioms. So:

- "leaving home" - I was just stressing that I had no motivation
- "discipline" - is focus - the ability to set a goal and stick to it rather than get distracted
- my next post - maybe Landslide - but, I was hoping to upload a strumming song next since I always choose fingerpicking songs
- my singing - really not great - but I'm trying anyway - I uploaded a singing song ages ago, which I find hard to watch now - "Bring on the Wonder" - that was really scary! But, I intend to do it again at some point.
- Autumn Leaves - I purchased the music from FreeHand Music (electronically - $1.29 - bargain). I don't have it electronically, as they only allow you to print it and/or play it within their program. But, at $1.29 that's Ok.

Check out DennisG's video of it and Neil's review if you haven't already - It is exquisite - just so beautiful.
Have fun.

Michele

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:18 am

My disciple is out to lunch at the moment. Michelew
Wow, you have your own personal disciple Michele... now either that's a Freudian slip (did he actually wear one?) a spell-corrector error or a little joke on out Ditch members or there's more to you than meets the TG eye! Vanessa is right, you speak in metaphors ;-)

michelew

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:31 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
My disciple is out to lunch at the moment. Michelew
Wow, you have your own personal disciple Michele... now either that's a Freudian slip (did he actually wear one?) a spell-corrector error or a little joke on out Ditch members or there's more to you than meets the TG eye! Vanessa is right, you speak in metaphors ;-)
oops! ha ha! - Maybe I've got multiple personalities or something... One of me must be important.

suziko

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:45 am

Good question!

Like Al, I've started going back over some songs that I learned this past year, to try to really refine the techniques I learned (or was supposed to learn!) in them. For example, I've been working on:

1. Needle and the Damage Done and Friend of the Devil to refine my flatpicking technique. A newer song that I'm working on with that same technique is Simon and Garfunkle's America

2. Sister Golden Hair and Amy MacDonald's This is the Life for barre chords

3. Here Comes the Sun, Pancho and Lefty and Fields of Gold for various fingerpicking techniques.

For me, the hardest thing is to not get distracted by a new song, and so forget to keep working on things I maybe SHOULD work on. Just yesterday I got sidetracked by the lesson for Lola! Too many good songs, not enough time!

Suzi

MarkM

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:51 am

Venessa,

Another great question. It's fun to see what people are up to. Such a wide variety of songs. For me I'm kind of all over the place as well. Now that I go my second acoustic guitar I can work on different things at the same time. One guitar is in D modal tuning where I am working on Suite Judy Blues Eyes as well. Its great to be able to just pick up the guitar and not worry about retuning it. As for the other songs it's a combination of fine tuning some of the older stuff I've been working on as well as some new stuff. Some in the Target program and some not.

Still trying to clean up Brain Damage with the vocals.
Goodbye Blue Sky - This is pretty fun to play
Sister Golden Hair
Bruce Springsteen's The River - Hopefully I'll get this one down soon. I'd love to post it.
Going back and cleaning up Cat Stevens Wild World

Now after seeing Wally I realize that I need to start on some of the Christmas songs. Well that's about it for the moment but I'm sure there will be more added soon.

MarkM

eagle670

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:53 am

I, like most of you, find myself working on several different songs at the same time. I spent alot of time working on my fingerpicking techniques, as well as my strumming. Right now my favorite couple of songs to play are Wild World and From the Beginning, both have a little of everything in them, some nice runs, some good strumming and some real nice picking. Recently I purchased a Les Paul electric guitar and have been working on all of those types lessons. I must say that I hadn't played an electric guitar since I was in high school. I had forgotten how much fun it is to play. I tell you what this site is almost a full time job for me to keep up with. I try to print off all of the lessons as they are released and I have filled two 4" binders. When this site first came on line I told myself that I would learn a song all the way through before starting on a new lesson, well that thought has gone by the waste side. There is just too many good songs here that I want to learn. I keep telling myself to focus, but these guys keep putting shiney things in front of me that steer me elsewhere.

I wouldn't want it any other way!

Kevin

willem

Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:47 am

nesh16041972 wrote:

So Scarborough fair, by Simon and Garfunkel? How is it going?

Yes Simon and Garfunkel,,its here a free lesson,,it is capo'd at the sevent fret,,but i practice it a lot at the second,, i made myself a midi were i play along with at the moment so around 88 bpm,,proberly i vid it next week to see how i doing,,so i can say hey i go and leave it for a while,,,with singin,, i geuss i don't,,

dennisg

Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:10 pm

I've been messing around with an old Don McLean song called Vincent (Starry starry night) and the Sheryl Crow tune Strong Enough. Problem is, my own personal disciple keeps interrupting me to go floss my teeth, balance my checkbook, and ponder my future. Stupid disciple!

Nesh, if you PM me, I can tell you where to get the tab for the Eva Cassidy version of Autumn Leaves. The powers that be at TG don't want me to mention in public the name of the tab site.

TGMatt

Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:12 pm

dennisg wrote:
I've been messing around with an old Don McLean song called Vincent (Starry starry night) and the Sheryl Crow tune Strong Enough. Problem is, my own personal disciple keeps interrupting me to go floss my teeth, balance my checkbook, and ponder my future. Stupid disciple!

Nesh, if you PM me, I can tell you where to get the tab for the Eva Cassidy version of Autumn Leaves. The powers that be at TG don't want me to mention in public the name of the tab site.
U can mention the tab site...just dont hot link to the URL

Craig

Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:22 pm

Besides Croce's, I'll Have to Say I Love You in a Song...I've been on an "Intro kick". It's probably not good to learn just an intro and not the whole song, but Im finding that most intros have a combination of techniques that I need to work on ( picking melody notes, slides, hammer-ons, and pull-offs) that help my overall playing....somewhat. Plus, they just plain sound cool!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic