learning tecniques

Chasplaya

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:20 pm

This is a bit like Chicken and Egg what comes first... To me I have to know the progressions and the notes before I can even contemplate the timing. Neil advocates playing slowly at first to get the changes then bring it up to speed, that to me makes sense.

AndyT

Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:55 pm

If you go to learn any other instrument,m you will be doing timing drills before you get into learning songs.

Look at Piano. You sit and play single notes to a metronome until you get your timing correct. Once you get the timing you move on to songs and other music.

Why is guitar different? Because people hate doing timing drills to a metronome, so they decided to just learn the chords and notes then work out the timing later.

If you take a lesson from any other instrument, then you will realize that timing is everything and until you get it down, nothing you play is going to sound quite right.

Neil teaches timing as part of each song. You are still going to be doing timing work on the ticker, but it's only focused on that particular song. So, it may take you 100 songs to get your timing to the point it should be so you can just learn new songs quickly and easily.

millponddave

Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:15 pm

Bottom line is this, whatever works for you, DO IT!

Dave

tovo

Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:02 am

I can't see how timing even comes into it before you have developed chord changes to a point where you can change quickly and cleanly. I remember I started by switching back and forth between chords...over and over and over until I knew them. Obviously that is absolutely beginner stuff with open chords, but it does get more complicated with barres. or at least a more difficult proposition.

For a more advanced player, I still think you need to know the chord sequence off by heart before you can worry about timing. How can you keep good timing if you have no idea what chord is next?? I take aboard what Vanessa said about it being preferable to get to the wrong chord on time than the correct one late, but surely that will only fly for the odd incorrect chord...if you do it constantly your timing may be OK but you ain't playing the song you wanted to!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic