"For What it's Worth" by AcousticAl

AcousticAl

Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:27 pm

Let me start by saying sorry-- I tried (and tried.. and tried again!) to put this on the student review channel. I've never felt so rejected :( Who's kidding who? Yes I have!
Anyways, I'd be happy to put it on the student channel if Matt/Mike or anyone behind the scenes would like to troubleshoot. I'm sure you'll see MANY failed uploads there.

"For What it's Worth was released 2 years before I was born- and still sounds fresh today imho. I was happy that Neil put this up today, as it reminded me of what a great song it is.

I originally tried it with a pick, but it sounded too harsh to my ear. I'm actually not crazy about my strumming in general on this. It's a bit of a mess and I should have missed the 2nd beat of each measure.

I think you'll also see what I meant a while back when I wrote that I'm a good 'imitator' as opposed to a good 'singer', but there you go. On the positive side, you'll see that I'm getting even deeper into the Micro BR's functions- and having a blast doing it!

Comments welcome as usual.

wammer

Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:00 am

so um Ya that was awesome. Wow you did an excellent job. Big smile from me

You've got that BR burnin LOL

So for a guy that would never sing with his playing..................Did you ever think you would be the one singing, whistling, clapping, and humming....... :ohmy:

Tammy

lueders

Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:02 am

Al, I really like yous posts. You are double tracking genius and you pick these songs up so
fast. Your posts are really consistently good too. I think pretty gosh darn good and you are getting better all the time.

side note: I was I was listening to you, and noodling around with this at the same time I
had the idea to play the e7 in seventh position & the a7 in fifth position...that way you are
closer up the neck to the harmonics. It should work I think in theory, if I get the timing
down. Although it is hard to not muffle the harmonics that are supposed to be sustaining.
I dunno, whataya think?

MarkM

Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:05 am

Killer job Al. I think I now know what I want to put on my Christmas list to Santa.......

I'm going nuts being 3K miles away from home right now. Can't wait to play this one. Very inspiring what you've done with only a day.

MarkM

Craig

Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:23 am

Al,
Your playing, singing, and use of technology are all very impressive! Your posts have become outstanding. Keep up the great work. Thanks for sharing.
Craig

Chasplaya

Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:53 am

Is this the record for quickest upload of a lesson by a member or what!!

You never cease to amaze Al, great job, very inspiring.

willem

Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:35 am

Yeah Al,,i saw and heard you got a blast and i love the waY you put up your vids and puzzle out the songs so well,,you could be the leader of the band...

tovo

Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:36 am

Brilliant. Imitator or not it sounded awesome. I'd like to offer something beyond my highest praise but I can't.

tovo

Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:38 am

Well actually this song suits your voice just perfectly, the playing smooth, very very good job!!

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:11 am

Wow AL you had that up before I could turn around after checking out the lesson late last night! Great job you really have to technology sorted out on this and the singing and add ons are just great. You obviously are able to record tracks and mix really quickly now and the results are excellent... your on your way as a youtube recording star.

Now.... how about a complete run down on how you put this together. Which tracks first,recording set-up, effects, how did you mix?

...that will take you longer to explain than it did to record!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic