Choosing the right flat pick

Hydroman52

Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:07 pm

Frybaby,

How long would you say that it took you to get your technique down to where you didn't need the modified pick? As I recall, it took me a while to get comfortable with holding the pick correctly and I probably had problems at the time holding on to it. Perhaps that is the answer for Harold, to add something for grip until he gets the technique down pat. The pick holding method that Neil teaches isn't just for a person to be able to hang onto the pick without it flying out. It's also for control during stuff like flat picking or cross picking. As my Bluegrass teacher explained to me, it enables you to get an even and strong pick on both the upstroke and the downstroke among other things (many of which I have forgotten throughout the years).

I like your perforated pick idea, too.

Hydroman52

frybaby

Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:58 pm

Hydroman52,

I would say it took we several weeks to get my pick holding technique down, mind you it’s not perfect, but I am very comfortable using my pick with out any gripping modifications.

In fact I am a little uncomfortable when I go back to my perferated picks for the same reasons you teacher expounded.

About the time spent working on holding the pick; I would practice for an hour or more daily, just on getting comfortable with the correct pick holding technique.

Playing through the different song I know, and use different strumming patterns, and work on accuracy by alternating base string patterns and arpeggio patters while using my pick.

I would also say that finding the right pick is an important part of improving use of a pick.

Once I selected the pick I felt was the best for me,, I seldom venture to others, familiarity with the pick seemed to help.

For me in addition to how the pick feels in my hand, but how the guitar sounds when the string are struck with the pick was very important, there is an increasable sound differential between pick materials.

Before narrowing down my choice to the pick I use now I would listen carefully to the way the guitar sounded when strummed and when individual strings were struck with the pick.

And finally, different strings brands sound differently, so some time when I change strings I change picks to get the sound I like.

A lot to say about a little thing like a pick, sorry if I bored you,

So in conclusion I would say.. experiment, pick your strings, pick your pick, practice, practice, practice..

Well there it is
Frybaby
ck, and then work on holding

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic