"For What it's Worth" by AcousticAl

suziko

Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:51 am

Great job, Al! Loved the multi-tracking on this one (even hand claps!!). And your voice sounds great, imitation or not.

ffsooo3

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:01 am

Stereo! :woohoo: Excellent job. Extremely impressive. Best TG video (so far, as I'm sure you will be topping this one with a future video!). I bow to your talent. More please......

AcousticAl

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:06 am

Hey there! Thanks for the feedback.

Tammy- you & I should tackle this one on our next collab!

Cori- That's a good idea- will check it out when I get a chance.

Mark- Thanks. Great that you're still able to post while you're away- but sucks that you can't play. Been there.
Re. purchasing the Micro-- I've alluded to this in other posts-- it's powerful-- but VERY menu driven. VERY easy to get lost, as Tammy is finding this out now. :S

Craig- Thank you sir!

Chas- It would have been up quicker if I hadn't had all the upload issues! ;)

Willem- Thank you. It was fun putting it together, and very much like a puzzle.

Tony- Thanks. I didn't mean to be self-deprecating about my singing. My voice just seems to drift towards whomever I'm covering. ie. Neil Young?

Vanessa- Thank you. I'm enjoying your uploads as well!

Chris- No problem on the run-down. Will post something later today explaining the process for those that are interested.

Suzi- Thank you. And thanks for being my sounding-board!

AcousticAl

Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:15 am

ffsooo3 wrote:
Stereo! :woohoo: Excellent job. Extremely impressive. Best TG video (so far, as I'm sure you will be topping this one with a future video!). I bow to your talent. More please......

That's a little over the top- but thanks Darryl.

AcousticAl

Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:50 am

Laundry list of stuff I'm using (copied from a different thread):
-Behringer 502 mixer
-Sennheiser e835 mic
-Martin DC16-GTE
-micro BR recorder
-record video separately on my webcam.
-join audio & video back up in AVS (edit program)

The Process:
I only used 4 tracks of audio on this one. I say 'only' because there's a way of 'bouncing' and mixing down to use up to 32 tracks! I haven't gone there (yet?) 4 is good for now, but you do run out of tracks quickly! You'll notice that the 2nd and 3rd guitar parts cut in and out during some of the harmonies because I needed the tracks for vocals.

Now, picture the Micro as a tape deck that you can multi-track onto. I recorded the main strumming and singing in one go onto channels 1&2 on the Micro- Mono mixed. I then rewind that take—turn OFF channels 1&2—and turn ON channel 3. Press play and record, and I can hear the guitar and vocals I just recorded. I add some harmony on channel 3. Rinse, repeat and do the same with channel 4.

But I'm now out of tracks- and I haven't added the other guitar parts that I wanted (harmonics and bass-slide). So I had to ‘punch in’ and get pretty precise with where I wanted to record. This is where you need to be careful, as you can easily go over something you didn’t want to.

That’s basically all you do. Rewind and add. It does get tricky though—especially if you’re only using 4 tracks.

Make sense?

neverfoundthetime

Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:57 am

Makes sense Al. I know about punching in but would be uneasy with that.
I've been recording through Audacity... you can have as many tracks as you want easy. Just don't have any sophisticated mike in or guitar in equipment yet.

dekotaj

Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:22 am

BRAVO!!!!!

wrench

Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:31 am

Very cool project Al. And well done, I might add.

You can't see this, but I wrote 9.7 on my scorecard.

AcousticAl

Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:14 am

Kevin- Thank you.

Dan- I hope I don't have to use all 32 tracks to get a 10! ;)

dennisg

Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:27 pm

Great job on this, Al. I really enjoyed it. I also enjoy watching your production skills evolve. Did you loop the harmonics?

By the way, did you suddenly retire? What accounts for the number of songs you've posted in the past month?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic