"For What it's Worth" by AcousticAl

AcousticAl

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:09 pm

dennisg wrote:
Great job on this, Al. I really enjoyed it. I also enjoy watching your production skills evolve. Did you loop the harmonics?

By the way, did you suddenly retire? What accounts for the number of songs you've posted in the past month?

Hi Dennis,

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm having fun for sure.
There was no looping involved-- live re-recording onto a separate track. For those that are REALLY curious- I actually applied an effect to the harmonics track while I recorded it. I always liked the cool 'spacey' sound I heard in the harmonics on the original song, so I tried to duplicate it. You might have noticed the difference in the sound between the first few harmonic notes I played, and the rest of them? That's the effect processor of the BR at work.

Lastly- No I haven't retired. I've just got quite a bit of downtime at the moment. I really should be practicing or learning theory or something- but I just got on a recording kick. I'm sure it'll die down soon ;)
It helps that it's all pretty much set up and ready to go as well.

BobR

Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:26 pm

Al,

Fantastic job. I really enjoy all your videos. Your use of effects is amazing. Did I say I liked it? :laugh:

Bob

AcousticAl

Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:19 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Makes sense Al. I know about punching in but would be uneasy with that.
I've been recording through Audacity... you can have as many tracks as you want easy. Just don't have any sophisticated mike in or guitar in equipment yet.

There's an 'A-B' function that let's you be pretty exact in where you record. You set an A-point and a B-point. Then rewind past where you want to start and press play. It plays normally until it hits the 'A-point'-- then it starts recording until it hits the 'B-point' that you set. Works pretty well. There's also a VERY handy 'undo' button.

AcousticAl

Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:23 pm

BobR wrote:
Al,

Fantastic job. I really enjoy all your videos. Your use of effects is amazing. Did I say I liked it? :laugh:

Bob

Thank you, Bob. Nice to know that others watch and enjoy what you put out there.
I'll be adding it to the student channel soon too. Matt says it should be good to go now...

haoli25

Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:30 pm

Excellent, Excellent, Excellent. Al great job with the singing, production, and DAMN, the sound of your new Martin is amazing. Thanks for posting your video.

Bill Image

jcrocket

Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:16 am

Al -

Wow, talk about raising the bar! Every aspect of that was top-notch.

I think the term "imitator", the way you use it to describe yourself, understates your talents. I've been very impressed with your ability to capture the essence of the original artist's treatment of a song, whether it's Jimmy Buffett on Come Monday of Stephen Stills on For What It's Worth. There's lot's of little nuances and inflections that you seem to pick up naturally.

Jeff

pbraun

Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:21 am

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pete

AcousticAl

Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:41 am

Mr. Bill (remember him?)- Thanks for the comments! Was wondering where you were hiding :)

Jeff- Yes, 'essence' sounds way better than 'imitate'. Kidding aside- I admire people who are able to do a totally different take on a song-- really make it their own. But that's just not my bag. I'm having fun though.

Pete- Thanks for checking it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic