Memories - What lights the corners of YOUR mind?

tovo

Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:39 pm

You know how certain songs bring back memories for you? Sometimes good, sometimes sad. There are a collection of tunes that will always invoke a memory for me. How about you? I'll share a couple to kick off:

I got my 1st bike at around 5 years old. Christmas in Australia is hot. Damn hot. I was riding my new bike up and down the street, occasionally falling off, and feeling pretty good about life. At the time, Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" was top of the charts and it was blasting out on the radio as I rode. Whenever I hear the tune I think of that time.

The 2nd is "Hotel California". I was a bit older, 15 years old in fact and I was finding out that girls beat push bikes hands down. I was on the couch with a stunning girl, scarcely able to believe my good fortune, and "Hotel California" was playing. Well....you can guess the rest. But I always think of that girl and that moment in time when I hear it.

I'd love to read about some of your memories.

Lavallee

Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:48 pm

Another good question Tony (should change your thumbnail for Yoda (still green)). My song is smoke on the water. I was 16 in 1973 and we were in the final of a hockey tournament. At the end of the games, instead of starting the buzzer, a rock song would start. I was not a primary player as a was playing defense, on a 0-0 score with 10 seconds to play or so, I intercept the puck at the blue line and managed to score. We were winning the tournament and Smoke on the water started playing. This song always improve my mood whenever I hear it.

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:24 pm

Beatles, Hello Goodbye = standing in a NAAFI sport shop oggling the golf clubs in Kuala Lumpur as a 11 year old hearing that Drum and the heyla-hey-aloha outro for the first time

Mike Oldfield, Tubular Bells = A late-night / early morning party, A-level exams hanging in the air, parents abroad, living in digs, too young to know better

Jean Michael Jarre, Oxygen = Driving all night down a German autobahn in my new Mazda RX7 (with Wankle rotary engine) on my way back home to Blighty for a couple of days to visit parents

Ottmar Liebert, The Hours Between Day and Night = alone bathing my 10 minute old daughter in absolute awe and wonder, the single most beautiful moment of my life

AndyT

Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:53 pm

"You Were Meant For Me" by Jewel the first time I met my wife.

"Silent Lucidity" as I was driving alone one night after my Dad died.

"Come and Dine" by Charles B. Widmeyer. Singing alone outside when I was 8 years old.

dieguy

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:49 pm

In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel - My Wife and mines first dance at our wedding - beautiful song but hard to dance to, take it from me.

Day after Day - Badfinger - "our Song"

In My Life - The Beatles - My favorite uncle who is partly responsible for my guitar interest played this at his daughters wedding in 2005. My Parents had been divorced a few years. My mother had recently had an aneurysm which she survived but with many issues. My Dad was going thru treatment for Colon Cancer. Needless to say it was a heavy time in my families life. My uncle sang this song and It pulled every emotion I had to the surface. I still can't listen to this song without welling up. Everytime I hear it I am right back to that moment in my life - for better or for worse. Still one of my all time favorites.

Bill

haoli25

Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:35 pm

September, 1971, George Harrison's "Bangla Desh". The first song I ever played on the electric radio. To this day I still hate that damn song! :)
(The second song, Gilbert O'Sullivan's "We Will" wasn't any better.) :laugh: :laugh:

Bill

neverfoundthetime

Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:48 am

Bill, what the... is electric radio? :dry:

haoli25

Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:09 am

A term from the 1930's, Chris. Back in the early 70's it was just 'disc jockey-speak'. Almost enough to 'extinguish the flame of Marconi', huh? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

neverfoundthetime

Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:17 am

Slowly, I understand. Bill, you are older than Mosses ... and Marconi!

haoli25

Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:21 am

EXACTLY, Chris! :silly:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic