Memories - What lights the corners of YOUR mind?

AndyT

Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:00 am

I see... You said Gilbert O'Sullivan, not Gilbert AND Sullivan....

willem

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:08 am

Strange,strange,,i think Elvis left the building,,i can't combine my memories with a piece of music,,strange cause there was a lot,,well it gives room for new experience..

Hydroman52

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:15 am

In chronological order:

Just Got Paid by ZZ Top – A local FM radio station began a new format of “UNDERGROUND MUSIC”. I was spinning the dial trying to find something cool and was slammed to a halt by this song. I would record songs from this station on my reel-to-reel and play them back for my friends so they would know what albums to buy (I also wrote a music review column for the high school newspaper). Today, this station only plays programmed pop music with loud and pushy commercials. Really sucks.

Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin - As a young teen, I paid the operator of a ride at the local fair some extra money to get my girlfriend and I “stuck” at the top so we could spend a few minutes making out up there. Whole Lotta Love was blasting from the speakers at the ticket booth. Talk about revving hormones!

Do You Feel the Way I Do by Peter Frampton – My buddy and I were going to a Peter Frampton concert. I asked one of the two most beautiful girls in the tri-county area to go with us. She was way out of my league. She accepted under one condition, she could bring her best friend . . . . . . the second most beautiful girl in the tri-county area. Wow, what great luck! We cruised to the concert in my new Camaro while playing nothing but Frampton songs and laughing and talking all the way. The concert was great, the ride home was more talking and laughing, and I think we even got kissed when we dropped them off at home. It was a perfect date and we never went out after that (why mess with success?). Many years later, I saw her and asked her if she remembered that concert, and she said it was one of the best dates she had been on. I’m sure she was just saying that to make me feel good, and it did feel good.

Shaker Song by Spyro Gyra – I worked in southern Florida for a few winters and would borrow a friend’s motorcycle to ride to either coast to visit the girls on the beach. This always seemed to be playing on the radio while en route. No motorcycle license, a little sunburn, lots of cocoa butter, and no one got hurt. Life was really good.

Why Don’t We Get Drunk and Screw by Jimmy Buffet – A side trip to Key West, Florida with my girlfriend (soon to be wife). Lots of Pina Coladas and . . . . . well . . . . . . look at the title of the song. We had a full tank of gas in the car, a cooler full of food, and only a nickel left between the two of us. We were naïve and bulletproof.

Only a Fool by Karla Bonoff – My Mom had died, my wife left me, and my dog just got run over by a car. Let’s face it, my life was playing like a bad country song. I was sitting in my back yard at night poking at the campfire all alone with the music blaring from the house and bouncing off the trees. The stars were bright and the music pure. It was like an outdoor concert and I was the only one there. The lyrics fit the mood and that was the time I decided to turn things around and keep moving forward.

So, you never know when one is going to hit you. It usually seems to happen when we are at an emotional high or low. There are many great songs that I like and I’ll listen to, but there are only a handful that will make me excuse myself in the middle of a conversation to sit and just listen to the music.

Hydroman52

AcousticAl

Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:13 pm

I've got a few.. Will come back to this thread again. One is "Daniel" by Elton John. My older brother is an amazing piano player and always had E.J. playing on his recordplayer or cassette deck. He moved to California with my father for a few years. Was a lot to handle at a young age and this song encapsulated it for me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic