Taylor GS mini finally in my hands

dennisg

Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:47 am

No, that's definitely not normal with Elixers. I've never broken a string, despite thrashing on them with a pick, through alternate tunings, through everything.

The Mini comes with Nanowebs, which usually warm up the sound a bit, but if it's not enough for you, you might try the new Martin Lifespan medium gauge on it. I've been hearing great things about these strings over in the Taylor forum.

mcfingers

Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:46 am

Hey Al, Congrats on the GS mini. I love mine. I would like to backup what Dennis said. I have never broken an Elixr string. I have only ever broken the dreaded high G string on my 12 string and I have done that using a variety of different strings. So I think that your broken string was an anomaly. Let me know what strings you find that warm up your mini. I have to agree the mini with the Elixir, Medium Nano's I believe, is very bright.

I am going to try some light-medium Elixir Nanowebs. The high G-B-A are light gauge( .012, .016, .024) and the low E-A-D are medium gauge ( .035, .045, .056).

Cheers, Steve

willem

Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:31 am

Hi Steve,,looking forward to a vid were you playing your mini,,I also 'm looking for a mini guitar and maybe i let one shipping...

AcousticAl

Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:49 am

mcfingers wrote:
Hey Al, Congrats on the GS mini. I love mine. I would like to backup what Dennis said. I have never broken an Elixr string. I have only ever broken the dreaded high G string on my 12 string and I have done that using a variety of different strings. So I think that your broken string was an anomaly. Let me know what strings you find that warm up your mini. I have to agree the mini with the Elixir, Medium Nano's I believe, is very bright.

I am going to try some light-medium Elixir Nanowebs. The high G-B-A are light gauge( .012, .016, .024) and the low E-A-D are medium gauge ( .035, .045, .056).

Cheers, Steve

Thanks Steve. I'm sure it was an anomaly, as coated strings are supposed to last LONGER. Anyways, I wanted to try the Martin Lifespan that Dennis suggested, but they didn't have them in stock.. so I got Martin SP Phosphor Bronze, medium. .013 - .056.

dennisg

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:35 am

I spent a couple of hours in a guitar shop yesterday playing a wide range of Martins, Taylors, Blueridges, Collings, and several other well-thought-of brands. Oddly, the guitar that stuck in my mind after I left was the Taylor GS Mini, a guitar whose price is about 10 percent of many of the other guitars I played. What makes the Mini such a revelation is that when you pick it up and and put your hand on that short 23.5-inch fretboard, you can't believe anything even remotely palatable is going to come out of that guitar, and yet it delivers huge volume, thumping bass, and shimmering highs. No, I'm not saying it's as good as $5000 guitars -- but it's an order of magnitude better than anything at its price and size.

Also, I'm all for supporting my local guitar shops, but they have limited shelf space. I've bought several guitar-related accessories (like strings, tuners, etc.) from JustStrings.com, and have been very happy with their prices and service. Every time I order from them, they send me some free picks and a polishing cloth.

AcousticAl

Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:47 am

I think they could have charged more for the GS and still have people lined up. It is made in Mexico- so I guess that's one reason it's cheaper. Really nice gig bag with it too.

It won't replace my Martin- but it's not supposed to-- different in EVERY way. It's just a fun little guitar that likes/wants/begs to be played!

mcfingers

Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:23 pm

Dennis, glad to hear you buy local too. My town is not a huge place so I want to do everything I can to support them and keep them around.
Cheers

Al, I am throwing on the Med-lights right now. I will let you know how they compare. Steve

Ok, just finished and re-tuned. The Med-Lights are just a little warmer, not quite as bright. They sound really good. Next time I am going to try some John Pearse Medium 80/20 bronze wound strings I like. They are about 1/2 the cost of the Elixir's and IMO sound just as good. They maybe don't last quite as long but at 1/2 price I can afford to change them a little sooner.

Steve

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic