Taylor GS mini finally in my hands

mcfingers

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:57 am

I have been trying to get the new Taylor GS mini since I heard them announced in August.
I have had my name on a waiting list at our local music store since early September. Finally, last Thursday it arrived and I picked up. I must say that I broke my own rule of never buying a guitar before I try it. Well, after playing it, pretty much none stop for the last two days, I can say that it does not disappoint. It has amazing tone and volume for such a little guitar. The sound is very close to my 110. Right out the packing crate it sounded and played fantastic. I think Taylor hit a home run with the GS body shape. Anyone looking for a good practice companion or a light, small travel guitar can stop looking.
I have a picture of the GS mini in between my 414 and the 110 for comparison.

Cheers, Steve

jayswett

Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:59 am

Nice collection of guitars. What is the advantage of the smaller body shape, other than travel convenience?

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:24 am

They were talking about that model in the store where I bought my latest. Said they couldn't keep it in stock.
Does it have a solid wood body?

bethroe56

Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:18 am

I have some hand challenges so the main advantage of a small guitar for me is
that with a short scale I can play tons of songs that would not be possible for
me on a full size guitar.

I have a mini maton, larrivee parlor, cargo raw, gibson b-25 and a
traveler silent guitar.
These small guitars have kept me playing well past my sell by date.

Would love to hear how that new guitar sounds.

dennisg

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:33 pm

jayswett wrote:
Nice collection of guitars. What is the advantage of the smaller body shape, other than travel convenience?
I just played this guitar for the first time when I went down to Los Angeles for the Thanksgiving holiday, and I was shocked by the volume and clarity of this little guitar. It sounds so much nicer than the Baby Taylor or Big Baby Taylor.

Jay, to answer your question, I can think of a few circumstances where I'd want this guitar: 1) when traveling, it can be taken aboard a plane and put in the overhead or the mini coat closet. You could never do that with a full-size guitar in a giant case; 2) a smaller person would find this guitar far more comfortable than a regular-sized guitar because of its size; 3) a beginner would likely enjoy learning on this guitar because its short scale length means the strings are easier to depress; and 4) it's just a great size to leave sitting out on a guitar stand so you can grab it and play it comfortably on the couch during commercial breaks of a football game.

mcfingers

Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:39 pm

Ditto to what Dennis said. Al, I have looked everywhere to find the answer to your question. I could not find a definitive answer. However, given the new arched shape of the back and with virtually no visible bracing to the back I would think it is a solid piece. The spruce top is made of two pieces and it has a full sized sound hole which is one of the reasons is sounds so robust. If I were better at uploading video I would prepare a comparison between the three guitars. I will have to see if I can figure things out.

Take my word, it is an amazing little guitar that is a ton of fun to play. At $500 you won't be terrified to bring this guitar with you where ever you go. It's super light in the case and very compact..... and as previously stated, it sounds awesome.
Oh Yeah......AND it's a Taylor.

Steve

mcfingers

Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:03 am

AcousticAl wrote:
They were talking about that model in the store where I bought my latest. Said they couldn't keep it in stock.
Does it have a solid wood body?
Just FYI Al,

I finally found out that the back and sides are laminate Sapele.
Steve

haoli25

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:21 am

Very COOL, Steve. Congratulations!

Bill

mcfingers

Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:10 pm

Thanks Bill.

Marin, congrats on your 114. That's a very solid guitar. My first Taylor was the 110 in the picture. They have a great sound don't they. I know you will enjoy your 114 for many years to come. I hope you have better luck controlling you Taylor addiction that I had. :lol: Now, I have my eye on a Taylor 12 string. Help! Do I need a 12 step program instead? :S

Steve

AcousticAl

Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:40 am

I've been looking at reviews on this guitar- everyone loves it!
I love my Martin- but it lives in the case when I'm not playing it, and I definitely won't be traveling with it.

So I grabbed a GS Mini!!

Very tough to get right now- HUGE backorder. I wrangled it though.
Sold my Fender to help pay for it (gotta show some sacrifice for G.A.S)

Really digging it so far. As the reviews say- super-fun to play. And the sound is huge for such a small box.

Question to Taylor owners-
I was going to change the strings up after playing it a while- but I already broke the high E string!! Not cool. I'm always messing with my tuning (going to drop or double drop D). I've had it for 2 days and it snapped! Is that common for Elixers? I've never broken a string before while changing tuning-- especially going DOWN not UP.

Another question (and I hope I don't open a can 'o worms here). I want to mellow the sound a bit- and since I have to change the strings anyways- I'd like your suggestions. I know Taylors are supposed to sound bright, and I'm fine with that- just want to dampen it a bit if possible.

Cheers!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic