What's with Bass guitarists?

mickm

Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:36 am

Tovo,

You just don't know what your missing until you've sat around a campfire with a group of bass players and backup singers.

Laying down some bottom and singing everyone's favorite sylables.

Boom boom ba boom....... Sha la la la la la

abiliog

Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:59 am

Tony,
IMHO, I think you have been missing a lot,

Imagine three of those together in concert,

Abílio

willem

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:35 am

bingo..

Chasplaya

Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:15 pm

tovo wrote:
Not a topic I expect to generate a heap of discussion but one I have genuinely pondered for some time now.

I don't get bass guitar. Why the hell are there 4 strings on the thing? EVERY bass guitarist I watch does 3 things with it:

1. Plucks the top string only,
2. plays a heap of 1 and 2 finger "chords",
3. Looks like they can't believe their luck that they are in a band and get to call themselves a musician.

Am I missing something??

(end of childish rant)
I think the last few videos dispel your theories lol! NO dispel is the wrong word... absolutely trash them more like LOL!!! Tony? Tonnnyyy TONEEEE!! Oh I get it he's off to buy a Bass lol

tovo

Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:42 pm

OK, I've cut off my high E and B string and I'm working on my 1 finger plucking.....

thereshopeyet

Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:35 pm

Thanks

beaker

Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:16 pm

Tovo, Yeah, you are missing something!!! You must listen to some pretty uninspired basists!!! I saw this Victor Wooten guy play a couple of nights ago.... he is crazy good! I could not believe my eyes!!! Also check out Phil Lesh from the Dead. He is one of the best bassists in the world ..... I think you may be surprized with what you hear!!! Also check out some jazz basists. Or Jack Cassidy with Jorma Kaukonnen. You tube search it.

If you guys you listen to only play one string.... (which I don't really believe they do)..... they are probably really boring basists!

Beaker.

sws626

Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:43 pm

Hi Tony,

I definitely think you're missing something here. I've known a few bass players who are among the most accomplished musicians I've ever met. Sure, there are some loafers, but that's true of any instrument. My brother is a bassist and I had a chance to spend some time jamming with him a few months ago and learned what a great combination an acoustic guitar and an electric bass can be.

Here's a plug for his band, The Whole Bolivian Army. He's playing a home-made, fretless 5-string bass:

[video][/video]

Lavallee

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:50 pm

Very Nice Stuart, your brother sure knows how to play bas.

Marc

mdsmith

Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:53 am

You have an obvious lack of knowledge of the bass guitar and its role in a band. I would also venture to say that you haven't really taken the time to look up some of the many incredible bass players out there before making this post. The bass guitar defines the chords and feel of a song. A guitarist can play any give scale, but the notes that the bass in playing can totally changes the whole feel of that scale. I think a lot of bass players get overlooked because in general they aren't the showboaters that a lot of guitarist and drummers are. The tend to be more concerned with their role in supporting the band as a whole instead of standing there and say "Hey look at me, look what I can do".

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic