Where were you when you heard that John Lennon had been murdered?

tovo

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:34 pm

I thought of the question after reading some comments on Mark's latest video.

I was taking my very first drive out on my own after getting my driver's license. I was 16 years old. I was so upset it was almost my last drive out as well.

How about you?

thereshopeyet

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:28 pm

Oops, I was to young to realise.....! :unsure: Wasn't aware of Elvis' death either....guess I'm really one of the younger members (well that is the anticipating-members) over here... :P

Actually my sister was at least lucky enough to hang out with his son, Julian.....but me, never got closer than that, lol, would have wanted to ask him a lót...guess he couldn't have answered anyway, he really was the neglected son...'Hey Jules'...

mickm

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:42 pm

Probably like a lot of other people , I heard the news first from Howard Cosell,during Monday Night Football.

cosmicmechanic

Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:41 pm

Strange, I was going to answer about being in a certain early evening context, but I suddenly realized that it was not possible since Howard Cosell was the first to announce it during a football game that would be late at night in my time zone, and I would logically have found out early next morning. Guess it's a blur, I'm quite surprised.

Which reminds me of the time that I ... oh never mind, turns out that it was actually someone else ...

MarkM

Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:34 am

I was 11 years old and was staying up too late to watch Monday Night Football. The next day at school was (4th grade)and is still such a vivid memory with how all the teachers were acting. It was the years that followed as I grew older and into high school as a teenager that I really got pissed at such a mindless act that had happened. Whether one is a fan of his or not I don't think that it could be denied that the world took one small step backwards that day.

MarkM

neverfoundthetime

Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:29 am

I woke up in a nurses residence in Sheffield after a long night out (don't ask!) and the radio alarm clicked in and they were playing sombre Beatles music (?) and the atmosphere was immediately odd (you just don't play slow paced music on a wake-up programme, I guess), for some reason and I knew something unusual was in the air. Then then they were talking about what had happened in NY a few hours earlier while we all slept. I was in shock and completely confused as to what I was feeling. Probably anger, bitterness and grief all mixed up.

mark

Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:47 am

I remember this like yesterday

I was also 16 and walking to get the coach to school. I pasted a white van with its windows open and radio on, and thats where I heard it.
I don't really remember anything else about the day apart from that I didn't go to school.

This mindless act had a great effect on me, coming at a time when I was just getting into his music.

pbraun

Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:06 am

Yeah I heard it from Howard Cosell, began to turn channels (no remotes) to see what else was covering it. Last night they replayed the NBC special report announcing it and I realized just how cold they can made it. Just saying John was dead from gunshots and a suspect was in custody.
Seems like it was just yesterday. On the news last night they had release some of the tapes of his Rolling Stone interview just 3 days earlier, one of his statements said he didn't want to be a dead hero. Interesting.
Pete

neverfoundthetime

Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:15 am

pbraun wrote:
Yeah I heard it from Howard Cosell, began to turn channels (no remotes) to see what else was covering it. Last night they replayed the NBC special report announcing it and I realized just how cold they can made it. Just saying John was dead from gunshots and a suspect was in custody.
Seems like it was just yesterday. On the news last night they had release some of the tapes of his Rolling Stone interview just 3 days earlier, one of his statements said he didn't want to be a dead hero. Interesting.
Pete
Saw a clip last night of him lying bed in the Amsterdam Hilton with Yoko and he read out a prediction someone made of him which said he'd be assassinated.

sws626

Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:54 am

I remember that night pretty well. I was 18 and studying for exams, my roommate and I decided to take a break and happened to walk by St Luke's hospital where he'd just been taken. The story there was garbled and I didn't really believe it until we got back home and listened to the radio. I don't think I even really believed it then. I'd just bought 'Double Fantasy' a few days earlier and remember being so glad that he was making music again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic