Mad World by reiver

wrench

Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:47 pm

reiver wrote:
wrench wrote:
Hey Stuart,

I listened to this a few more times, and I like it better each time. Good job, my man.

Your comment about the capo sent me off yesterday to do some field research on the effect of a capo on tuning, and my conclusion is simply this: yep, you're right, the tuned guitar is out of tune the moment a capo is clamped on. Any guitar. Any position. Any string gauge. Any scale length. Any tuning. Any...., well, you get the idea. And, yes, it gets worse as you go further up the neck (for the same reason the distance between frets decreases). It's physics, and there is no way to change it - except by re-tuning after the capo is clamped on.

That was an interesting study. Probably worthless because everyone already knows a guitar plays out of tune up the neck, but interesting nonetheless because now I know by how many Hertz it will be out.
Wow. Nice study!

I did retune after capoing - but then you still have the problem when you fret a string 4 or 5 frets from the capo which takes you up to the 9th or 10th fret and my poor little guitar struggled a little, I think.

You may be interested in this web site.........looks like they're trying to resolve the problem in an interesting way.

Stuart

http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php
Thanks for that link, Stuart. That site is fascinating, and I concur with much of the information they share. The only thing I'm not sure about is their discussion of strings and gauges. I found yesterday that the degree of intonation error seemed to be directly related to the strings' core wire diameter, not the wound diameter, which makes sense because it is the core that is under tension, not the winding.

I am able to analyze the sound of those guitars, so I may do that to see if such a neck actually works. I DO NOT, however want to re-fret one of those necks! :laugh:

waggis

Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:42 pm

Great job Stuart! Glad to see another Ulli Bögershausen fan. Have you also tried his arrangments of "One of Us" or "Dear Mr. President"? Keep up the good work!

David

reiver

Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:12 pm

wrench wrote:
reiver wrote:
wrench wrote:
Hey Stuart,

I listened to this a few more times, and I like it better each time. Good job, my man.

Your comment about the capo sent me off yesterday to do some field research on the effect of a capo on tuning, and my conclusion is simply this: yep, you're right, the tuned guitar is out of tune the moment a capo is clamped on. Any guitar. Any position. Any string gauge. Any scale length. Any tuning. Any...., well, you get the idea. And, yes, it gets worse as you go further up the neck (for the same reason the distance between frets decreases). It's physics, and there is no way to change it - except by re-tuning after the capo is clamped on.

That was an interesting study. Probably worthless because everyone already knows a guitar plays out of tune up the neck, but interesting nonetheless because now I know by how many Hertz it will be out.
Wow. Nice study!

I did retune after capoing - but then you still have the problem when you fret a string 4 or 5 frets from the capo which takes you up to the 9th or 10th fret and my poor little guitar struggled a little, I think.

You may be interested in this web site.........looks like they're trying to resolve the problem in an interesting way.

Stuart

http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php
Thanks for that link, Stuart. That site is fascinating, and I concur with much of the information they share. The only thing I'm not sure about is their discussion of strings and gauges. I found yesterday that the degree of intonation error seemed to be directly related to the strings' core wire diameter, not the wound diameter, which makes sense because it is the core that is under tension, not the winding.

I am able to analyze the sound of those guitars, so I may do that to see if such a neck actually works. I DO NOT, however want to re-fret one of those necks! :laugh:

Glad you found it interesting - it certainly doesn't look like it makes the guitar any easier to play........... I have enough trouble knowing where the frets are when they're all in straight lines!

reiver

Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:15 pm

David - Firstly, thank you for the kind words. Also, I just checked out those two songs you recommend - can't see me being up to the challenge of either of them any time soon, but there is no doubt he is a great arranger. Thanks for pointing them out to me.

BigBear

Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:36 pm

Stuart- Fantastic job on that one! Really well done. Lots of practice.

I like Ulli's version because it's challenging but still "doable". This is such a simple song (Ithink there are only 3 or 4 chords) that it lends itself perfectly to almost any style or arrangement.

Again, really fine picking and congrats on your hard work!!

Cheers! :cheer:

reiver

Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:30 am

Bear - glad you enjoyed it. You're right, it's a very do-able.......no odd chord shapes, no big stretches and played at an easy slow tempo. Of course, the slow tempo does lead to another problem - there is no hiding place. Every note is heard and that does bring it's own challenge.

Catman

Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:44 pm

Well played Stuart.

This is one of those deceptively simple pieces: easy to play, but difficult to play well.

-David

reiver

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:19 pm

Thanks David - the simplicity is so deceptive it still evades me.........I think I may have made it look deceptively difficult!

sws626

Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:11 pm

Hi Stuart,

I thought you did a fantastic job with this. I'd listened to Uli's version a few times before and have had it on my list for a long time. Probably still won't get to it for a while. You've set the bar quite high. Anyway, just wanted you to know it was a pleasure to listen to.

-Other Stuart

reiver

Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:53 pm

Stuart - thanks a lot, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'd certainly recommend learning this arrangement to anyone.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic