Mad World by reiver

reiver

Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:05 pm

It appears that I'm the latest to have problems with the uploader.

Thought it was about time for me to post something new – after watching you may not agree.

I was inspired to learn this after the Wonderful Life lesson appeared here. I had fun learning that and thought that these two songs would make a nice medley. I still think that’s the case – but the changed tuning and capo position required for this song kind of put a halt to the original idea.

This arrangement is easily available on You Tube played by far more accomplished guitarists than me, including the arranger, Ulli Boegershausen and Sungha Jung, of whom most of you will have heard by now. I’ve added a video by HanzP, not because he plays it any better than them – but it does have better camera work and helped me in learning the piece. And it’ll let you hear what it SHOULD have sounded like. And yes, I'm well aware of how much better this video is than mine! I have capoed lower on the neck as my guitar takes badly to too high a capo position. And I just played through once........no point in pushing my luck.

It may not be the “happy” song that some of you are looking for (Michele) – but I’m beginning to think that happy people don’t write good music!

I had been internally debating for a while whether to bother posting again – but was finally persuaded after watching Suzi’s version of Alice’s Restaurant. It reminded me how much fun it can be to play guitar.

Hope you enjoy it..........or at least, don’t dislike it!

Stuart

And as it should sound.........

AcousticAl

Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:54 pm

I've always liked that song, Stuart. You definitely do it justice.
And thanks for posting the other link as well.

Great to see another vid from you.

Chasplaya

Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:01 pm

I enjoyed that never seen it played fingerstyle before.

Thanks for posting

wrench

Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:57 pm

That was a beautiful piece Stuart. Glad to see you on the silver screen again.

I'm curious about the capo problem further up the neck. What problem did that give you?

Lavallee

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:22 am

Hi Stuart. glad to see a video from you, it has been a long time. I think you are playing the song very well. It is a nice arrangement . Do you any tabs for it? I would like to learn it

Marc

Lavallee

Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:54 am

Hi Stuart!

I think you can really be proud of this one! Beautiful song, very nice fingerpicking, am also curious with what other stuff you can come up with!

Thanks for sharing and nice to meet you!

Cheers

Vanessa

(And wauw, Suzi is really inspiring, you and I both did a video this week because of it!) :cheer:

michelew

Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:41 am

That was really gorgeous. What a pretty, happy, sad song.

I've missed your playing Stuart.

I think your mic let you down a bit as the sound quality was a bit ordinary from here (maybe it was the uploading process), but your playing looked good to me.

If you do have tab I'd like a copy too. While not fitting my current mission parameters, it is definitely a lovely tune and a nice arrangement.

It's good to have you back! I'm definitely looking forward to the next one.

Go Suzi!

Beautiful work Stuart.

Michele

willem

Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:41 am

Thanks Stuart,,a very nice arrangement,i also play the song fingerpicked but in open position(also the intro) and try to sing it,,i find your instrumental very nice and will give it a look,

Happy holiday to you too,,

haoli25

Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:23 am

That was beautiful, Stuart. Great song and nicely played. I think this is the first 'Tears For Fears' contribution to TG. Thanks for posting your video. Bravo.

Bill Image

neverfoundthetime

Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:51 am

Stuart, that was just beautiful! What a great job on that lovely song. Your playing is excellent and it's high time you posted a video again. Maybe you'll add one to a busking thread soon. I play a simple version and sing this song and I wonder what it would sound like slowed up a little. I think it may give you a lot more if you linger a little because your playing is pretty much perfect.

Thanks for posting the other video too, there was a great sound coming out of that Lakewood (which sound great plugged in). Just a question. I was assuming that you had a capo stuck on the head of your guitar... but then I remembered you were using your capo already... so what's stuck on the headstock of your Tak?

Chris
PS. did you ever get a new cat?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic