Mad World by reiver

suziko

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:03 am

Stuart,

Firstly, how flattering that my video inspired you to post this. You've got me blushing over here! (waves cheeks to cool them off)

Secondly, I thought you did a really nice job on this version of Mad World. I'd never heard it done fingerstyle before.... actually, I'd never heard it played on a guitar before. Always thought of it as exclusively a piano piece. But this arrangment is really pretty and definitely captures the melancholic feel of this song. My favorite part is the percussion right before "mad world" followed by the pretty string of notes. That part is so cool and beautiful.

I went ahead and listened to the Ulli version, and I think the biggest difference is a matter of sound quality. I think you use a Kodak Zi8 like I do,and while the video quality for this camera is quite good, I know from exerience that the sound quality is not the best. I've seriously been considering lately buying an external mic for it.

It's so great to see you posting again. I've always enjoyed your videos so much in the past. I hope this signifies more regular appearances from you!

Suzi

dennisg

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:11 am

Stuart, as a huge Tears For Fears fan, I was thrilled to see that you posted this video, and even happier after I saw your version. You have every reason to be extremely proud of this. And, if you've got it available, I'd love to get the tab.

ffsooo3

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:50 am

Butchered? No way! Good job. Hope to see more videos from you.

abiliog

Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:04 am

Congratulations Stuart,
Good choice. I'm not a Tears for Fears fan but this one it's a beautiful song.
I really enjoy to listen you playing it.

Thank you,
Abílio

dekotaj

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:20 am

BRAVO!!Sir,

I got a real kick out of the credits that rolled at the beginning of the video.And must say,really enjoyed the song that followed.Hope its not as long before you post again.

Kevin

reiver

Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:03 pm

First of all, thanks to everyone who watched the video and left such supportive comments..................

Al - Thank you for taking time out of your own hectic recording schedule to watch. Really looking forward to hearing what you come up with when the music room is finished. And on that subject, a word of advice before you start - try to convince Helen that it's her idea............it'll just make everything easier.

Chas - Thank you, sir. It does make an interesting guitar piece, I think.

Wrench - Glad you enjoyed it. The problem when I capo too high up the neck is that it sounds (to me) that notes which are then fretted further up the neck are a little out of tune. This happens even just after tuning......and it may be my imagination, but it certainly makes playing too high up less fun!

Marc - firstly thanks to you for your time in discussing the virtues of Guitar Pro a few weeks ago - without it I'd never have learned this piece so quickly. And thanks for the kind words on my playing - I can certainly send you the GP file if you let me know your e-mail address.

Vanessa - nice to meet you too! I'm very glad you enjoyed it. I've certainly enjoyed your contributions to the forum recently. As for what else I can come up with......well, patience. There may be something else on the way soon. But don't tell anyone.

Michele - Thanks, you're very kind and I'm glad that you enjoyed it. You are absolutely right about the sound quality. As Suzi mentions later, I do use the Zi8 (although she'd say "zee"......sheesh!) and although the picture quality is great, the sound is a little lacking. This is the first time I've recorded in a "soft" room - carpets, curtains, soft furnishings etc, and I do think that they have had a detrimental affect on sound quality. Back to the kitchen next time! Tab will be on it's way very soon.

Willem - Thanks, Willem, glad you enjoyed it. If you feel like trying it let me know and I'll help any way I can.

Bill - Thanks very much - it just wouldn't be Christmas without the clap.

Chris - that's an interesting point about the timing. When I play back the other video, I think he plays it much faster than I do and it got me to wondering if maybe I was playing it too SLOWLY. Your suggestion to slow it down further I think just confirms that everyone hears these songs differently. Often, slower is better - and I know that I speed up when playing the little "lead" sections and have to consciously slow it down again when they finish. I'll certainly take it under advisement. I agree - the sound from the Lakewood is great, night and day compared with mine! Hehe - I forgot you still used a tuning fork! The rest of us use electronic tuners - that's what's stuck on my headstock. And no, no new cat.

Suzi - firstly, apologies for embarrassing you! But I think it was a useful point to make. Sometimes we can get a little bogged down in the technicalities and intricacies of what we're trying to do and we forget that we're supposed to be having fun. Playing guitar is a good time! Your video reminded me of that. Secondly, I'm glad you liked it. It would have been sad if you'd inspired it then thought it sucked! An external mic is certainly one of the options that I'm looking at to resolve the dodgy sound dilemma. And yeah, there may be a few more appearances in the future.

Dennis - if I'd known there were any Tears for Fears fans out there I'd have been even more nervous - but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you. Tab is on it's way.

ffsooo3 - thank you, ffsooo3 (do you mind if I call you ff?) Really glad you enjoyed it.

Abilio - you are very kind. Thank you.

Kevin - glad the credits weren't the highlight! Thanks for the support.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:10 pm

Hi Stuart, thanks for filling me in on the tuner... duh! I've been looking at these things sticking on guitars and I just assumed it was a capo!

Here's how I hear Mad World... too slow for guitar but you see what I mean...

tovo

Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:32 pm

I thought you did it justice. Beautiful song. Nice to see you posting again, look forward to the next one.

sws626

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:28 pm

Actually, I think your tempo/timing wasn't to fast...sure here and there, as you stated yourself, you rush a little and slow it back down, but the timing is the same as Gary Jules' Mad world, I just compared the two vid's, I could just snap my fingers from one video into the next, and that's the version you're playing right? Not the original Tears for Fears-version?

But I would love to have the tabs, I do have one and I play it here and there, but this one sounds a little more complete, so if you could do me the honor, it is very much appreciated!

Cheers

Vanessa

BobR

Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:56 pm

Stuart,

I started to watch this at lunch today but was interrupted with work (I hate when work gets in the way of my guitar stuff :laugh: ) Anyway I thought you did a really nice job on this you didn't butcher it at all like the intro markee said.

Great Job
Thanks for sharing,

bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic