Mad World by reiver

jayswett

Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:41 pm

I am was not familiar with this song until five minutes ago. It's a beautiful song and you played it very, very well. I hope you decide to post more videos.

reiver

Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:12 pm

Chris - yes, I'm familiar with this version - I'm pretty sure that it's this that the arrangement is based on. Glad to have introduced you to the world of in tune guitars!

Tony - Thank you, glad you enjoyed it.

Vanessa - I'm glad you agree with me.........we can both look towards Chris with a knowing look and roll our eyes at him. Tab should be with you now.

BobR - sorry to hear about your work problem!........ but glad you enjoyed the video. Thanks for the support.

Jay - Thank you - yes, more may be on the way soon.

cosmicmechanic

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:19 pm

Hi reiver

Surprising how just two taps on your strings (at 1:26 and 1:30) can add tension and set up the last act of the drama. Damn well done.

Funny, I associate the original of this tune as being a signal to head out for the dance floor in a crowded club. It's great to have a whole freshly-emptied dance floor to yourself and maybe a few like-minded. This version is still highly danceable ... could you add me to the tab list?

Pierre

neverfoundthetime

Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:54 am

Chris - yes, I'm familiar with this version - I'm pretty sure that it's this that the arrangement is based on. Glad to have introduced you to the world of in tune guitars!
Ha! I've been in tune ever since I got an I-Phone.... er this summer...:-)

reiver

Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:00 am

Pierre - it's not the first time I've emptied the dance floor... ....but I'm relieved that you enjoyed it all the same! Thanks for kind words. Glad you enjoyed the arrangement too - of course I can send you the Tab, just PM me with your e-mail address (specify pdf or gpx) and I'll get that to you right away.

willem

Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:58 am

Oke,,the more i listen to this the mad'r i get to learn this and i also like the sound on fifth fret,,but did you mentioned the dropped D(that's only the 6 string tuned to D???),,thanks for your tab,,looks great...

reiver

Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:18 am

willem wrote:
Oke,,the more i listen to this the mad'r i get to learn this and i also like the sound on fifth fret,,but did you mentioned the dropped D(that's only the 6 string tuned to D???),,thanks for your tab,,looks great...
That's right Willem - tune the 6th string down to D.......all other strings in standard tuning. Hope you have fun learning it.

wrench

Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:35 am

Hey Stuart,

I listened to this a few more times, and I like it better each time. Good job, my man.

Your comment about the capo sent me off yesterday to do some field research on the effect of a capo on tuning, and my conclusion is simply this: yep, you're right, the tuned guitar is out of tune the moment a capo is clamped on. Any guitar. Any position. Any string gauge. Any scale length. Any tuning. Any...., well, you get the idea. And, yes, it gets worse as you go further up the neck (for the same reason the distance between frets decreases). It's physics, and there is no way to change it - except by re-tuning after the capo is clamped on.

That was an interesting study. Probably worthless because everyone already knows a guitar plays out of tune up the neck, but interesting nonetheless because now I know by how many Hertz it will be out.

reiver

Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:50 am

Chris

That looks like a really interesting app. So far I've resisted the urge to get myself an iphone, but they are making it harder and harder!

Stuart

reiver

Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:55 am

wrench wrote:
Hey Stuart,

I listened to this a few more times, and I like it better each time. Good job, my man.

Your comment about the capo sent me off yesterday to do some field research on the effect of a capo on tuning, and my conclusion is simply this: yep, you're right, the tuned guitar is out of tune the moment a capo is clamped on. Any guitar. Any position. Any string gauge. Any scale length. Any tuning. Any...., well, you get the idea. And, yes, it gets worse as you go further up the neck (for the same reason the distance between frets decreases). It's physics, and there is no way to change it - except by re-tuning after the capo is clamped on.

That was an interesting study. Probably worthless because everyone already knows a guitar plays out of tune up the neck, but interesting nonetheless because now I know by how many Hertz it will be out.
Wow. Nice study!

I did retune after capoing - but then you still have the problem when you fret a string 4 or 5 frets from the capo which takes you up to the 9th or 10th fret and my poor little guitar struggled a little, I think.

You may be interested in this web site.........looks like they're trying to resolve the problem in an interesting way.

Stuart

http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic