Need help with dry guitar and need to humidify it back to health,

seektruth

Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:07 pm

Moved from Coos Bay Oregon to Fairbanks Alaska in Sept and now my Washburn cutaway acoustic 6 string is buzzing around the 4 and 5 frets on a few of the strings. What should I do first before going to the local guitar shop? and what is the best recommended humidifier for my small duplex? warm mist? cool mist??? or just any mist !!! THANK YOU ! Jon

Max

Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:38 pm

Try this Humidity tip from the Taylor Guitar site:
http://taylorguitars.com/see-hear/default.aspx?id=1004

Once there click on thevideo:
Humidity: The Solution.
Despite losing its shape and developing cracks on both the top and the back, Bob demonstrates the best way to bring this guitar back to life using guitar humidifiers

wrench

Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:54 pm

If you adjust the humidity in your house by any means to get it up to 45-55%, your guitar will be happy about that. If you keep the guitar in a case though, Planet Waves makes a couple different humidifier products that fit between the strings and into the soundhole.

If you have some new buzzing though, I would check the neck relief first. Fret the E string on the 1st and 14th frets, then look at how much clearance you have between the bottom of the string and the top of the 7th fret. You should have, for general playing, between .005" and .010". If the guitar didn't buzz before, there probably is no problem with frets, and a change in weather or climate often requires a truss rod adjustment, especially if the guitar has a single-action truss rod. So, I expect you need a truss rod adjustment to increase the neck relief. If that doesn't fix it, get your humidity set, and let the guitar stabilize a few days. While that's happening, use a good quality short straightedge to check for out-of-level frets. My money's on the truss rod adjustment, though.

seektruth

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:40 am

Thank you... I enjoyed their video(s) at Taylor Guitars. Thanks to all for your generous web-site ! Jon Jackson

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic