GP 6 Input question....

Music Junkie

Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:55 am

Well, I finally took the plunge and upgraded to GP6 (thanks to Kevin for giving me a heads up on the Xmas Sale!). I Have been tabbing out a song by Jackson Browne over the last month or so (yeah, it takes me a long time because my ear is horrible.....). Anyway, I have it finished now, and am trying to put a few finishing touches on the GP file.

Does anyone know where to find the command to retard (slow down) a certain section? At the very end of my tab, there is one bar that needs to be slowed down. Can I just highlight that section and choose a slower rate? Also, can you make the program slow down on the playing of a chord. The song ends with a simple chord, but it rakes slowly over the strings. It is not really like they are 16th notes, or 8th notes, but more of a slow raking and then ringing out for the duration of a whole note (yeah, that's not too confusing....:-)).

Anyway, if someone has a pointer or two, I would love to hear from them!

Cheers!

Jason

Chasplaya

Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:15 pm

Hi Jason, two things you can do which might be what you are after is:

a. Use the Fermata command on the chord, select one note in the chord as it won't work if you select the complete chord and look for the dot with the curve over the top in the notation. That lets the chord ring longer than the notation actually depicts, a box will appear on selection and give you the choice of how long to let ring/hold

b. Use the Arpeggio command again from the notation menus. Use Arpeggio down and once again you get a box similar to last with a slider which lets you choose from quick to slow. Squiggly line with an arrow on end depicting both up and down choices

You can also in design mode select a bar or series of notes and change the tempo anywhere in the score.

Music Junkie

Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:36 pm

Chas:

Once again you have cleared up the GP world a bit for me..... ;)

The arpeggio command worked pretty well for the last chord. It is not perfect, but it is much better.

The Fermata command was not the effect I was looking for, unfortunately. What I am really trying to do in that bar is to slow it down. The song runs at about 116 to 120 bpm. The bar in question is the next to the last bar and should run at about half that or a little more than half of that. Then the last bar is the arpeggiated chord at the same slower speed. If I can slow those last two bars down, and then apply the arpeggio to the last chord, it will be close enough for me.

Thanks so much for the lead!

J

B) B) B)

Chasplaya

Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:52 pm

Okey dokey, I think I know what you are after, look for Edit menu top of page click on Automations then Edit Automations first having selected the bar(s) you wish to slow down/

The Automation Editor box comes up, first box lets you select Tempo, Volume or Pan. Select tempo, you will see in the box the bars selected, the track will show at the foot by a line with underside shaded blue, click on various point along the line then use the tap function on tempo to set speed desired, trial and error mostly but this will do what you want.

Music Junkie

Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:05 pm

Chas:

That did it! Pretty cool little option there. Thanks so much for your help with that!!!! B) B) B)

Now I have another question for you....... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

I made this TAB in GP5 and was able to have the rhythm show below the TAB portion. When I opened the TAB up in GP6, the rhythm notation disappeared. Do you know where the command is to put the rhythm back underneath the TAB portion? Kind of redundant, I know, considering that I have the musical notation above the TAB, but.........

Thanks again Chas, I really appreciate your time..... :) :)

Jason

Chasplaya

Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:47 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Chas:

That did it! Pretty cool little option there. Thanks so much for your help with that!!!! B) B) B)

Now I have another question for you....... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

I made this TAB in GP5 and was able to have the rhythm show below the TAB portion. When I opened the TAB up in GP6, the rhythm notation disappeared. Do you know where the command is to put the rhythm back underneath the TAB portion? Kind of redundant, I know, considering that I have the musical notation above the TAB, but.........

Thanks again Chas, I really appreciate your time..... :) :)

Jason
This is a bit easier press F6 a box comes up with options, if you uncheck standard the notation disappears and is replaced by the rhythm under the tab, you can also place rhythm slashes above in GP6 using the same box

thereshopeyet

Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:27 pm

Thanks

Chasplaya

Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:09 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Chas Wrote:
Click on Automations then Edit Automations
Chas, does GP5 have this feature?

PS
I have GP 5 in this laptop I'm using but can't the feature in the Edit menu.
Need to install my GP6 sometime.

Interesting stuff... thanks.
GP5 has a Mix Table its the green/red icon on the bottom menu bar or F10, its not quite so easy as GP6 to use but it is a very useful feature

Music Junkie

Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:15 pm

Got it. Not the same option as in GP5, so bummed a bit about that, but it did get the rhythm on the TAB. Thanks!

@thereshopeyet: I was running GP5 on this laptop as well, and hanging on with a vice grip.... :) :)

Finally updated everything and am finding that some is better and some is not (more is better though).... B) B)

J

thereshopeyet

Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:38 pm

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic