What's your favorite live music venue?

mickm

Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:56 pm

So, what's your preference, a sold out baseball stadium or arena with all the lights and production, perhaps a favorite bar, or a free concert in park.

I've enjoyed many memorable performances in all of those venues, but my absolute favorite place for live music is a funky little local place called the Red Dragon Listening Room.

The "Dragon" is a real throwback to the 60'S. Housed in an old building about the size of a convenience store, lined with an assortment of couches , love seats , a couple of church pews, and a few rows of old theater seats.

Sold-out capacity is 100 people.

It's not a bar, no food or alcohol is sold, but your highly encouraged to bring your own, and most do.

It's a non-profit, non-smoking venue. All of the proceeds go to the headline act. If there's an opening act they pass the hat.

Last night myself and 99 other fortunate souls lucky enough to procure a ticket, were entertained by Jerry Jeff Walker.no band. Just him an guitar.

Kicked back on the couch with a group of friends and a glass of my favorite cabernet gets my vote.

So.. how about ya'll? What's your favorite way to enjoy live music

Mick

BigBear

Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Mick- good question! We've got a little community center here in my home town of Hillsboro, Oregon that is a beautiful, converted Lutheran church the City purchased. I've seen some amazing performances there for almost no money.

Last year I saw Al Stewart and Dacve Nachmanoff for $15/seat and I sat in the second row!! Simply fantastic! They are here again in February so I'm going again. If you've never seen Dave Nachmanoff play his little Eric Clapton 000 Martin check him out. A simply amazing guitarist (and song writer too!). Of course Al isn't half bad either! lol!

I also saw Roger McGuinn there earlier this year and he was fantastic. And Doug Smith, Mark Hanson & Terry Robb. All amazing fingerstyle guitarists. The list goes on and on.

I've been to many pubs and bars in my life but this old church is simply the best! Seats about 200 and I always sit up front. The acoustics are superb.

Cheers! :cheer:

millponddave

Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:09 pm

I would have to say that the Four Corners Folk Festival in Pagosa Spring Colorado is the best venue that I've seen. Besides the amazing music I've heard there it is located in a truly phenomenal setting. It is set in a meadow up on a hill surrounded by Ponderosa Pines with a spectacular view of the continental divide. They have a large tent set up that holds about two thousand people and you can also sit outside among the trees. The sound system is top notch. Some (many) folks camp on site, it is a three day festival, and jam sessions go on all night. I have been taking my son there for the past two years and I don't plan on missing it as long as it is held. Oh yeah, did I mention the amazing music?

Dave

AndyT

Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:41 am

Way way back in the day, LOL, at the High School I graduated from. Novi Michigan. Novi H.S. had a very special auditorium. It was designed to have nearly perfect acoustics. You could sit anywhere in the place and have no trouble hearing anything. Totally fab setup. And the sound system was state of the art. Of course that was way back in the day. I don't know if its ever been upgraded but it was awesome back then. It sat 2000 and was simply awesome. The first concert I saw there was the Detroit Symphony Orchestra and I was blown away. They used no amplification at all and I could hear every single note clearly.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic