Busking Gerry Rafferty

suziko

Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:25 am

Stuart,

Just have to say that you're right about Gerry Rafferty. When I first saw the news that he'd died, I didn't think I knew any of his songs. Then I listened to Baker Street, Right Down the Line and Stuck in the Middle and thought, "Of course I know these songs!" In fact, at the risk of sounding cheesey, hearing Right Down the Line again was like running into an old friend. I'd forgotten how much I loved that song when I was growing up!

Suzi

MarkM

Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:07 am

Stuart,

I like many others here it seems wasn't familiar with this song as well. I agree that I enjoyed your version better as well. Your performance was simply perfect to my ears. Great guitar work and your voice was just right for the song. I'm really impressed with this one. 3 days huh? Outstanding.

MarkM

reiver

Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:27 am

suziko wrote:
Stuart,

Just have to say that you're right about Gerry Rafferty. When I first saw the news that he'd died, I didn't think I knew any of his songs. Then I listened to Baker Street, Right Down the Line and Stuck in the Middle and thought, "Of course I know these songs!" In fact, at the risk of sounding cheesey, hearing Right Down the Line again was like running into an old friend. I'd forgotten how much I loved that song when I was growing up!

Suzi
Suzi

I'm glad you agree - and you've certainly mentioned some of his best and best known songs. I love how music can transport us to a different time and place. Isn't it sad, though, that it's often the death of the artist that helps us find them again.

Stuart

reiver

Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:31 am

MarkM - Thank you very much. I thought your version of Can't Find My Way Home was one of the highlights of 2010 and I aspire to flatpick as well as that. Thanks again for the kind comments.

BobR

Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:24 pm

Stuart,

I think this is a time when less is more. I really enjoyed your take on this song.

Nice Job,

Bob

TGMatt

Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:32 pm

Just caught this, great stuff Stuart.

If there is a way we can help you get this into the busking channel that would be great, maybe someone here can help, or alternatively chuck a support ticket in mate

Thx again

reiver

Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:21 pm

Bob - Thank you - I think sometimes there can be a tendency to overplay songs rather than let the song speak for itself. The sentiment behind this song certainly seemed to me to lend itself to underplaying - I'm happy that you agree. Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

Matt - Really glad you enjoyed it. I did raise a ticket last month when I struggled with the uploader for my Mad World post. Cheryl responded very quickly telling me that they were working on it - then came back to me soon after and asked me to try again. This is the first time I've re-tried and a problem does still seem to exist. But I think that the problem me be at my end and I don't really want to waste any of anyone's time trying to solve something that is probably unsolvable for you and your team. FYI - uploading starts......then freezes and I think it may be due to temporary loss of connection.

neverfoundthetime

Tue May 17, 2011 6:52 am

I'd just like to recall Gerry Rafferty who died earlier this year. Below is clip of his friend Billy Connolly telling a story about him.
It's Billy Connolly so obviously the language is very rough (not for those who take offence at bad language).
And BTW, as I was searching for this thread I noticed that there are over 90 Busking threads already. WOW! That is very gratifying to see. It gives me a taste of what Neil and Matt must feel every time they go on line.

AndyT

Tue May 17, 2011 3:12 pm

Chris,
Thanks for bumping this thread. I missed it first time around.

Stuart,
Very nicely done. I'll echo what many others have already said. Sometimes less is more. I think most songs start out this way and get over done in the process of adding the rest of the band in. Often it's too bad because they ruin an otherwise good song.

In this case, you have given new life to it.

lueders

Tue May 17, 2011 7:38 pm

Stuart, I thought are picking and your singing on this were wonderful!!! You made doing the two together, look easy.
Your style of singing is one that I like a lot. Some of my favorite vocalists have a slightly plaintive & natural voice
that fits tonally and serves the song. (Roger Waters, on on a good day, comes to mind. )

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic