Busking Gerry Rafferty

reiver

Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:58 pm

OK - it's not a genuine busking thread but these uploaders REALLY don't like me.

Following the sad death of Gerry Rafferty a few days ago I thought it would be nice to post something here to help mark his passing.

I considered adding it Michele's "sad love song" thread where it would have certainly been quite at home but decided on having a dedicated thread instead.

This song is called Whatever's Written in Your Heart. I heard it for the first time on Tuesday when it was played on the radio following a brief memorial section. Although originally played on piano I thought it would make a nice guitar piece.......and a fitting way to mark the passing of a very gifted songwriter and performer.

Hope you like it.

thereshopeyet

Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:20 pm

Thanks

suziko

Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:21 pm

Stuart,

I hadn't heard this Gerry Rafferty song before hearing you play it. And, to be honest, if I'd heard the studio version first, I dont think I would have liked it all that much. I think the song is so much better when stripped of the choir and the overproduction of the studio version. I love your version so much that I've already watched it a few times! Your voice is so great for this song and your playing is a perfect accompaniment.

Suzi

willem

Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:23 pm

Thanks Stuart,nice,,i listen one more time after listening to the original(that i find a bit gospel) and tought you were doing this nice and think i put it on my list and it is so true ,,whatever's written in your haert'' that's all that matters,,night and day,,i enjoyed it..

buddy

Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:28 pm

Gosh Stuart, enjoyed it very much!

Didn't miss the piano at all, very nice guitarplaying and singing, thanks for sharing! (Also because I've never heard of him..:blush:)

dennisg

Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:35 pm

Terrific job, Stuart. Your arrangement is spare and heartfelt. I totally agree with Suzi on this: I wasn't at all familiar with the song until I heard your version, and I very much appreciate the simplicity and soulfulness of it.

ffsooo3

Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:43 pm

Wow. Beautiful. Nice playing. Nice heartfelt singing. And you didn't know this song 3 days ago! Very impressive.

Music Junkie

Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:01 pm

reiver wrote:
I heard it for the first time on Tuesday when it was played on the radio following a brief memorial section. Although originally played on piano I thought it would make a nice guitar piece.......and a fitting way to mark the passing of a very gifted songwriter and performer.

Hope you like it
You just heard this on Tuesday :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Outstanding and heartfelt piece of music there mister. I also prefer the stripped down version. You did a hell of a job on this Stuart. Thanks so much for sharing this with us.... :) :)

Jason

cosmicmechanic

Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:59 pm

SIMPLY delicious ! Beautiful picking, vibrant low-profile singing. Better than the original.

Pierre

tovo

Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Stuart it was beautiful. So heartfelt and emotional, you performed that brilliantly. I simply loved it. A great tribute and thanks for the upload.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic