Busking Gerry Rafferty

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:23 pm

Beautiful job Stuart! Lovely picking arrangement and well sung. I know this song very well and I've sung it many times and I love it and you made it your own here. Well done, a great tribute to Gerry. It's the one I would have chosen to sing for him too.

beaker

Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:12 pm

Reiver, Excellent job! I thought that was really good. You do a great job fingerpicking and singing together. I look forward to hearing more from you. Beaker.

Lavallee

Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:31 pm

Stuart, you made a beautiful arrangement. Your singing has the right tone and intensity.

Marc

reiver

Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:26 am

Firstly - a general thank you to everyone who took the time to listen.

Dermot - Glad you enjoyed it. His story makes me wonder if the writing of a monster hit song such as Baker Street is a blessing or a curse for some artists. On the one hand, it gives great financial support (estimates are that Baker St was earning Gerry Rafferty £80,000 a year 30 years after it's release!) but on the other, it is a lot to live up to. I guess the struggle to repeat that success takes it's toll.

Suzi - Thanks for the nice comment. Although I do like original version I guess I was always imagining it as a solo acoustic number in my head. Whether I could pull it off or not was another matter. I very glad that you liked it.

Willem - This is a very straightforward song to play and I think it'd make a good addition to anyone's play list. Let me know if you need a chord/lyric sheet.

Vanessa - I'm glad you didn't miss the piano.........I guess that's why we're here at Totally Guitars. I'm sure the people over at Totally Pianos will be furious! I'm happy to have introduced you to one of Scotland's finest.

Dennis - Thank you - I really appreciate your kind comment. I believe we're expecting a post from you this month! Looking forward to it.

ffsooo3 - thank you very much. I fear the playing and arrangement flatters to deceive slightly! The chords are very simple (G, C, D, Am) and I'm playing a simple alternating bass pattern.....but I'm glad the finished product sounded OK.

Jason - Thanks Jason.....it always comes as a relief when people enjoy a post. I appreciate you taking the time to watch and comment.

Pierre - You're very kind.......thanks for watching.

Tony - Glad you enjoyed it Tony. I think the main emotion is fear but it appears to have worked out. Thanks, my friend.

Chris - I'm glad you approve of my choice. I think it's a great song and I'm happy that you think I did it justice. Thanks very much.

Beaker - Thanks for the kind comments. I particularly enjoyed your version of the Kelly Joe Phelps song Tommy - thanks for introducing me to KJP and thanks for taking the time to comment.

reiver

Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:30 am

Apologies Marc! Hit "Submit" by mistake......

Thank you very much for the kind comment.......it's very much appreciated!

BigBear

Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:21 pm

Stuart- very well done my friend! I don't know that song but it's really beautiful and you did it proud. I think Gerry would have even approved of the wee bit of Scottish brogue (apologies to our Irish friends who coined the term!).

You have a very nice playing style and your voice sounded great. Thanks for sharing that!

Cheers! :cheer:

jayswett

Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:43 pm

I don't know much about Gerry Rafferty, but I do know that I loved your version of that song. Your voice was perfect for that song, and the pace was smooth and steady. That was a great peformance.

reiver

Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:11 pm

Bear - Thank you - I'm happy to have introduced you to another GR song.

Jay - I'm glad you enjoyed it, thank you for watching and for your kind comments.

michelew

Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:58 pm

Stuart,

I can't believe it took me so long to notice this thread.

Simply beautiful piece played with enormous feeling. I love your picking, singing and the meaning you bring to songs. Beautiful!

Well I agree wit Suzi and the general sentiment here. Your version is better than the second post.

I also hadn't heard of Gerry Rafferty. But, it sounds like his passing is a great loss to the world.

Michele

reiver

Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:00 am

Michele - Ah, there you are........I was getting worried! Thank you for the very generous comments - they are very much appreciated, as always. I think that Gerry Rafferty was one of those artists that people don't know they know.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic