Who are your biggest Influences?

tovo

Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:31 pm

There are a handful of acts that have made a massive impact on modern music. I think Dylan, The Beatles, Neil Young and a select few others are some that spring to mind but there are a heap more that have had massive influence, even though they are not necessarily my cup of tea.

What band or act has influenced you, how and why? Please tell us WHY rather than just name them. (I know...I'm very pushy). Be honest....if Kiss or ABBA float your boat then say so...you won't be mocked...........much.

Oh and the first person who says "Neil Hogan" receives the "Butt-kisser of the year award". :)

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:50 pm

T:

Good question. I would have to say that Jackson Browne has been my biggest influence (speaking of the guitar). There are a handful of his songs that really made me want to take the plunge and learn to play myself. In fact, I just bought two tickets to go see his 2011 Solo Acoustic tour. I get to go see him in a small theater in Thousand Oaks in March. I am very excited.............. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Now if you are talking about influence in other areas, you could always throw in AC/DC as a great influence for drinking on canal banks during my teen years........ :huh: :huh: :huh:

Jason

Lavallee

Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi Tony,

My greatest music influence when I was a kid was Led Zeppelin. They had those riff that was rapping you in a good mood . You could not listen to it unless the windows were shaking .When you are a teenager, you are a little deaf, so the music has to be floored. They had clean rock, not talking about death or other creepy subjects, they had a lot a variations in their songs, though always recognizable with their sound and Plants voice. I could play great air guitar but I was telling myself that if I ever play guitar, I want to play their songs.

And Neil Hogan... Tony, I do not win very often, I will take whatever you can give me.

Marc

michelew

Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:39 pm

My greatest or biggest influence is definitely Elvis Presley....!

I watched the 'Jailhouse Rock'-movie when I was maybe 9 years old and I was sold! I absolutely lóved his movements, his singing, the way he performed, his songs! He really knew how to win a crowd...and since I was already performing a lot as a kid, I just combined it all with my own being...

I barely do, but when I dó an Elvis-tune, something happens to me, haha, he just crawled under my skin, what can I say?!

Cheers

michelew

Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:52 pm

I'm biting my tongue...... no I can't.... I can't do it again.... give the woman a break....

But, I'm thinking...
- there's no Elvis thread....
- Elvis has HEAPS of love songs...
- image of Ness doing the Elvis moves...

- OK - the wicked one in my head is under control... no challenge issued... B)

Phew! That was a close one...

Shel

Catman

Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:07 pm

OMG! :ohmy: Yóu are just......!!!! :P

michelew wrote:
I'm biting my tongue...... no I can't.... I can't do it again.... give the woman a break....

But, I'm thinking...
- there's no Elvis thread....
- Elvis has HEAPS of love songs...
- image of Ness doing the Elvis moves...

- OK - the wicked one in my head is under control... no challenge issued... B)

Phew! That was a close one...

Shel

michelew

Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:12 pm

What? I said nothing..... So my thought bubbles rambled a little...

Wicked?... mischievous?... unrelenting?... persistent?.... a ratbag? ... ridiculous?... in need of another target? All true.

Still you can't blame a woman for having a little fun.

M.

sbutler

Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:14 pm

I'm starting to think that Michele has got a real spunky side to her. hmmm

When I was a child, there was always a radio going in the house. Mom loved music and at that time it was Eddie Arnold, tony Bennett, Andy William and so on. I really think she created my love for music.

Beatles created a real stir with the older generation around my house (dad didn't approve) and so maybe that's why i really couldn't get enough of them. There was also some weird named band called the "Amboy Dukes" led by some guy named with a smokin hot guitar named Ted Nugent.

As I grew older, (early teens) I made my first attempt at the guitar. I really started to notice Clapton, Hendrix and later on guys like Robin Trower. I was also into Creedence and of course the Rolling Stones. the Animals were pretty prominent back then and because I loved the sound of the guitar, I never took my ears off this new guy James Taylor.

Wow, when I think about it, there were a lot. Later on it was ELP, Guess Who, the Who, and basically about half the bands that TG has here in the library.

When I look at this list, Eric Clapton is definitely a perennial, and has probably had the largest impact on me that any artist has over my life time of wishing I could play the guitar.

Nesh, get that lip thing workin cause I think Michele is going to need to see it.

Scott

Max

Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:35 pm

There were many big varied influences in my musical youth. The Beatles, The Stones, Dylan, Eric Clapton, Credence Clearwater Revival, CSN&Y, but here's a list excluding these biggies.

When I was really young, I remember watching Nat King Cole on TV, his voice was memorable.

For soft rock: James Taylor because he writes his own songs and sings and plays them beautifully.

Simon & Garfunkel for really thought provoking lyrics

Willie Nelson, One of the best at phrasing lyrics and he kind of plays his guitar with the same unique phrasing.

Rod Stewart was one of my favorite rocker because he always surrounded by the most beautiful women of the time (Hey you didn't say good influences), He did have a unique voice, and could easily change from soulful ballads to raunchy rock. Speaking of Raunchy Rock, ZZ Top was another band that could really rock and they also were surrounded by gorgeous women (I think I'm on a roll here).

For hard rocking blues, Stevie Ray Vaughan, because you could feel the music going right through him and into his guitar (hard to explain).

Carlos Santana, I'd never heard anybody play a guitar in that style before.

Steely Dan, for a kind of jazzy influenced rock.

Fun Topic, thanks, Max

michelew

Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:46 pm

This is really hard to answer. I'm sort of going with the flow at the moment. TG and the things I'm seeing and learning and trying are influencing me now as much as, if not more than, anything that's gone before. I feel like a kid that's just taking it's first steps.

Previously I would have said roots and folk, singer-song writers and R&B stuff; maybe Indigo Girls, but now I have no idea.

It's all an adventure.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic