Who are your biggest Influences?

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:52 pm

Hahahahaha! You áre terrible!!! :laugh:

michelew wrote:
What? I said nothing..... So my thought bubbles rambled a little...

Wicked?... mischievous?... unrelenting?... persistent?.... a ratbag? ... ridiculous?... in need of another target? All true.

Still you can't blame a woman for having a little fun.

M.

thereshopeyet

Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:54 pm

Thanks

dennisg

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:01 pm

I'm going to assume that question was intended to find out who influenced us to play the guitar -- not influenced us to buy records or listen to the radio.

As for me, when I was growing up, I wanted very badly to play Peter, Paul, and Mary songs. That's what my brother (who taught me how to play) and I played together, and I have fond memories of wailing away on "If I had my way" with him. It was one of the very few songs he would let me sing lead on, and only because I could do a credible impression of Peter Yarrow.

To those of you who grew up in the '70s and beyond, when I mention P,P&M, I realize I may as well be citing the Gershwins or the Tommy Dorsey band as influences. God, I'm old.

michelew

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:04 pm

Nothing wrong with Peter, Paul and Mary...you old dinosaur you. Old never looked so young.

thereshopeyet

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:08 pm

Thanks

michelew

Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:10 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
Michelle Wrote:
Old never looked so young.
Is that Chick?
...hhmmmmm... depends I guess. :P

tovo

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:11 pm

dennisg wrote:
I'm going to assume that question was intended to find out who influenced us to play the guitar -- not influenced us to buy records or listen to the radio.
Mate I'm happy for the question to be interpreted in any way, but 2 comments on your answer. Firstly I think that Peter, Paul and Mary had a huge influence in their era (it wasn't really my era but I like to think I am a student of history) and secondly, you ARE old I absolutely agree....but I hope you get HEAPS older.

jimcjimc

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:33 pm

OK, I'll play. Our family wasn't really musical but the radio was always on to AM top 40 and, of course, we watched the Ed Sullivan show on Sunday nights. The earliest song I remember liking while a little kid was the McGuire Sisters "SugarTime". OK to mock:

I remember when I was about 12 having a 45 of DayDream by the Lovin Spoonful - I don't remember buying any other 45s

I didn't really get into music until I was in college and started buying albums when the record store had a 4 for $10 sale. I think the first album I bought was Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits Vol2. I ended up buying (and still do) any thing released by Bob Dylan & Van Morrison. I listened to a lot of Jesse Winchester, Cat Stevens, Jim Croce, Bonnie Raitt Leonard Cohen,Rod Stewart's & Elton John's early stuff. Later, I liked Michael Franks, Nanci Griffith, Pat Metheny, Jeff Linsky , Townes van Zandt, Iris Dement, Elvis Costello, John Hiatt & Steve Earle

coomba

Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:37 am

Elvis- he was a rebel, and my old man hated him, he played a guitar,the chicks loved him , he always looked cool . I was very young but I wanted to play guitar the first time I saw him.
I turned out just like him accept for the following,I still cant play guitar, I don't pull the chicks, I look dumb in a white jump suit and cape and my old man now hates me.
But I'm still trying, and Elvis is Still the King.

The list of musicians who have had some influence in my life is long so I thought I would just mention the first.
Cheers
Scott

willem

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:48 am

Well look through all the years and what we heared on the radio and telly,,i love all kind of music cos i was a listener,,

Now i get my influences from Neil Hogan (and all of you) ,cos it all comes back to my memory and what a blast to try and play it by our own,,

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic