Audacity Effects

ffsooo3

Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:15 pm

For all you Audacity users out there.......

What Audacity Effects have you found to be useful?

I have used the "Change Pitch..." effect that's installed with Audacity to play bass guitar with my 6-string.
I have also used the default compressor and fade out effects.

I use the Equalizer from: http://audio3ware.com/cs-12-master-chan ... ions-v-o-f
and Reverb from: http://www.anwida.com/product.asp?pid=7

Both are free.

Does anyone have a good delay or echo effect or any other effect to recommend? Thanks!

pbraun

Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:52 am

I just started messing with it. But I am wondering how you import your video into audacity. I have only been able to record audio so far, and from seeing your videos I know you are using audacity to edit them.'
Thanks
Pete

ffsooo3

Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:54 am

Hi Pete, Audacity is only for audio. When you import a video only the audio portion (if there is one) will be imported. After messing with the audio (adding another track, trimming, and/or adding effects) one exports the "finished" audio to an MP3 file. Then with AVS or WMM or some other video editor the orignial video and new MP3 get synch'd up.

jayswett

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:38 am

The three features that I use regularly are click track, generate silence, and noise reduction.

ffsooo3

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:00 am

jayswett wrote:
The three features that I use regularly are click track, generate silence, and noise reduction.
Do you use the click track just as a count in or as a metronome?
When/where do you use "generate silence"
What parameters do you use for noise reduction?

wrench

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:20 am

I use the equalization, hi-pass filter, lo-pass filter, amplify, and compress effects when recording audio tracks. I also use the click track generator (as a metronome). My everyday use, however, are the Analyze functions to analyze instrument and audio track sound.

Audacity is quite impressive piece of software either as a recording tool or an analysis tool. Both in the same well-behaved software package is almost too good to be true!

ffsooo3

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:29 am

wrench wrote:
I use the equalization, hi-pass filter, lo-pass filter, amplify, and compress effects when recording audio tracks. I also use the click track generator (as a metronome). My everyday use, however, are the Analyze functions to analyze instrument and audio track sound.

Audacity is quite impressive piece of software either as a recording tool or an analysis tool. Both in the same well-behaved software package is almost too good to be true!
Yes, I agree Audacity is VERY impressive!
BTW what parameters do you (typically) use for the hi- and low-pass filters?
I'd also be curious to hear what you think about the Audio3Ware equalizer from: audio3ware.com/cs-12-master-channel-stri...st-productions-v-o-f

sws626

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:10 am

I've recently started using Sonar and never really got familiar with all of the effects & features available in Audacity, but it's pretty impressive and I think most everything I would use in Sonar is also available in Audacity.

Like Wrench, I use the analyzer prior to and after applying filters/equalization and I've started using a high pass filter, equalizer, mild compression and amplifification.

-Stuart

wrench

Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:44 am

ffsooo3 wrote:
wrench wrote:

Yes, I agree Audacity is VERY impressive!
BTW what parameters do you (typically) use for the hi- and low-pass filters?
I'd also be curious to hear what you think about the Audio3Ware equalizer from: audio3ware.com/cs-12-master-channel-stri...st-productions-v-o-f
I use default values for rolloff (6 dB) and filter quality (.7071). For hi-pass I use a frequency of 63 Hz and for lo-pass I use 10 kHz. I never used Audio3Ware (I do not use Windows), but it looks like all of its features are in Audacity.

These packages aren't in my realm of use and they don't run on Windows, but when you're ready for big-time sound production, check out Ardour and Rakarrack. I don't think I'll ever get around to using these very sophisticated tools, but Audacity is right in my wheelhouse. I use it everyday, usually to analyze guitars and the effects of work I do on them. I really should record more, though. I have found that when making videos, recording the audio into Audacity renders a higher quality audio track than recording directly into the video. Yeah, I'm a big Audacity fan.

willem

Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:42 am

when reading this thread i find it all impressive and i got my boss micro br but i also want to know more 'baut audacity and need some more explains,,

So Dan can i get you out you cave and explain what that kind of stuff above mensiond and what it does..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic