Recording Audio Using Remote Microphone on a Camcorder

schm040

Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:39 pm

Hey all,

This question is pretty basic, but I am trying to learn a little everyday about recording stuff.

I want to keep it simple and not have to worry about combining separate video and audio so I tried to attach my Shure microphone to my Sony Handy Cam (its a nice one but a few years old) via the microphone jack. The microphone is attached to my Tascam US122 audio interface that has a "line out". I attempted to record the audio directly on to the DV tape using this method and had no success, only the camera's built in mic picked up the audio.

So....I called B&H Photo and Video in Manhattan (excellent store by the way), and the pro audio guy there says I need one of these (see link below) to be able to send a "mic" line to the camcorder. This thing cost a few more bucks than I wanted, but if this is my only option I guess I have to.

My question is, what is the best way to get a good audio signal to my camcorder using a remote mic and the mic jack on the camcorder??

Thanks in advance.

MattMassachusetts

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Nt ... Search=yes

dennisg

Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:32 pm

Matt,

I know this seems obvious, but did you look in the camera's owner's manual? I can't believe you'd need a $190 accessory in order to plug in a microphone.

schm040

Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:39 pm

Dennis,

Yes, I did consult the owner's manual, which is very detailed but says little about recording audio externally, and I called Sony. They did not mention that I need to "convert" the microphone signal but did say something strange and that is that the external mic does not override the onboard mic and that both mics would record on the tape.

More to follow. I will share my final outcome.

Thanks,
Matt

schm040

Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:49 am

So, here is my update for those interested. After contacting Sony via phone and chat, it has been established that, believe it or not, the microphone jack can only be used for audio dubbing post video recording. Only the onboard mic can be used to record an original sound. Strange or typical?

That said, the audio adapter will do me no good. So....it looks like I have two options:

1. Get a newer camcorder that can record microphone sound and video simultaneously or...
2. Use an video / audio editing program to combine the A/V together. It can be done using Garageband and I Movie but it is a real PAIN.

My preference is option 1.

Any advice would be great.
Matt

jayswett

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:01 pm

It sounds like you have tried using the AV software to combine separate audio and video tracks, but have found it difficult to accomplish the task. I am not very computer savvy, yet found that after investing a few hours learing how to use moviemaker and AVS, I was able to combine the two with very little hassle. It was suprisingly simple, and I also found this knowledge useful for projects other than guitar videos. I would suggest giving it another try before buying another video camera.

schm040

Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:11 pm

Jayswett,

Thanks for the advice. I am using, unfortunately, an IMAC, and the GarageBand and I Movie programs, while pretty good, do not make the process very easy, unless I am missing something of course. I will take your advice for sure.

It does seem to me though, that getting 16 bit sound from a good microphone to a DV tape would produce CD quality sound directly onto the original recording thus eliminating the hassle of combining the two.

For those who know me, they would understand that I want the best quality with the least hassle!!! It's a curse and a gift as Monk would say.

MattMassachusetts

dennisg

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:24 pm

Many of us in this forum use an inexpensive video camera: the Kodak Zi8. It has its own internal mic, but it shuts off automatically when you plug in an external mic. As for me, I run my mic (and my guitar) through an amp, then go from the amp's line outputs directly into the camera. Seems to work fine.

Chasplaya

Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:44 pm

Hi Matt, recording decent quality has plagued me from the start of this site. At first I used a web-cam and its on-board mic, that was crap!, Then I purchased an El cheapo digi cam with on-board mic, that was ok-ish as long as I didn't plug in my guitar then it was crap.

I have just purchased a Micro BR made by Boss and am going to record audio separate to video, then use AVS to merge the two, I also bought an instrument mic a SM57 by Shure, so now have options of how to record. Hopefully, providing I get my head round the technology this will produce a better sound.

schm040

Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:52 pm

Chasplaya,

Good see I am not the only one with recording issues. Are on PC or MAC? Thanks for the response.

MattMassachusetts

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic