I'd like to talk about your ears.

abiliog

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:07 am

I'm another one with a Korg, a GA-30.
I think they are pretty good, but now I'm trying, when strings get out of tune, to tune it by ear and then compare it with the tuner. Well, I must say that I rely on the tuner better, yet :(
Abilio

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:55 am

I used to tune the A string to the piano or keyboard (if available) and then tune everything to the A string. I even did that after buying an electronic tuner but would also often just use the tuner. I can always hear if one string is slightly out but if all the strings are in tune with each other but slightly off the perfect pitch, I can't tell.Mostly, These days I like to use my Iphone to tune as I always have it with me and I now have the habit (since making recordings) of checking all the strings regularly. If you have an Iphone, then Guitar Toolkit is a MUST. Image

suziko

Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:05 am

Can someone tell me why you tune the A string (with the help of a keyboard or tuner or whatever) and then tune the rest according to the A string? Why don't you tune the low E string? Both Chris and Stuart mentioned doing this and I'm in the dark as to why you do this.

Suzi

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:32 am

Tuning to the A string was the way I was taught Suzi so I guess it's traditional to guitars and probably because it makes the tuning of the consecutive strings easy and the A string is probably the best anchor for this process. I'm sure someone with better theory knowledge can give you the exact reason.

willem

Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:50 am

Why do you set your elecrtick tuner on 440 hertz???

suziko

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:19 am

Thanks, Chris! I'd love to know WHY it's that way. However this thread has motivated me to start using my ear (and comparing strings) to tune my guitar more often. I tend to be lazy and just rely on the electronic tuner

sws626

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:30 am

suziko wrote:
I completely rely on my electronic tuner, but I'm starting to think maybe I should do like Stuart mentioned and use the tuner to tune one string, then do the rest by ear. Just curious, though- why do you tune the A string, Stuart? Why not the E?

Suzi
Hi Suzi,

The tuner just gives me less trouble with the A string -- I think this has to do with the resonance frequency of the guitar body (as opposed to the strings), which tends to make the A string produce a cleaner sound that the E does. You may have noticed that often when tuning the high E string to an electric tuner, the tuner will hear an A produced by the guitar body that is more prominent than the E produced by the string.

-Stuart

willem

Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:49 am

When put up the headstock tuner!!! i start simple on the low E string,,but!!! hitting that E string i let the plectrum mute the String below it(the A) and so on,,when coming to the high E string i mute all the 5 strings,,,then i go listen to my ear while folowing the tradition way of tuning,,when thats right to my ear,,i go rockin!!!!

Whit The electrick tuners(headstock) you can alway's tune in a crowed noisy place,,you can't do that by ear,,or????

wrench

Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:29 am

It's complicated.

Basically, the answer to Dennis' question is human ears or electronic tuners with microphones hear the guitar. Piezoelectric tuners (like headstock tuners) feel the guitar. They actually measure the vibration frequency of the neck, which is how they are able to work in high noise.

Suzi, I can think of a couple of reasons why we tune to A. First, 440Hz A is what tuning forks are tuned to, and pianos were tuned from that. So, there is some historical basis for using A. More practically though, every guitar I know of, regardless of its body type, has a strong resonance at A3, so that note is easily detected by ears and tuners alike. You may run into difficulty on low E with an electronic tuner because a guitar can barely sound it. Low E on a dreadnought body is nearly non existent. You only hear E2 at all because it is amplified by E3.

Guitars are equal temperament scales, which is why being in tune mathematically, doesn't necessarily sound the best. Google up Equal Temperament Scale and Pythagoras' Comma for some interesting reading. Like I said, it's complicated.

wiley

Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:21 am

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic