Are you intimidated?

tovo

Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:06 pm

lueders wrote:
Tony, you don't need me to tell you I am sure. But a lot of good came out of this thread. I think it has actually got folks thinking about it & served to encourage more folks to post...and that can't be a bad thing. Kudos Green-Man!
Cori
Hey Cori thanks man. Yes I think this was a good thread and I'm pleased about that. Made me happy after I had one that went not so well recently.

Joe I think you summed it up well mate. I like to watch the better players and see what I can learn from them. It does make it hard to give them constructive feedback, something that we have discussed as a group before, but it's always great to watch someone who can really play.

suziko

Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:00 am

Finally found some time to respond over here!

Sure, I can sometimes feel intimidated when I see the truly advanced players on our site. Maybe it's just me (though I doubt it) but I am constantly battling a little voice inside my head which tells me I'll never be that good so why bother? Why not just give up? Luckily, most of the time there's a bigger voice that tells that tiny voice to shut up. I know that if I just keep practicing every day, I will improve. And I realized at some point that to compare myself to other players is a waste of my energy. The only person I can compare my playing to is me. How am I doing? Am I making progress as a guitarist? Am I challenging myself? We all learn at different speeds and everyone's situation is different (when they started, how much time they have to practice, how much "natural ability" they have).

So I try to look to the advanced players on our site as inspiration to me. I might think: what do they do that I admire and can I try to emulate that? Or I just watch them and think, "Damn! That is cool! I want to be able to do that some day!"

thereshopeyet

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:01 am

Thanks

neverfoundthetime

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:44 am

tovo wrote:
lueders wrote:
Tony, you don't need me to tell you I am sure. But a lot of good came out of this thread. I think it has actually got folks thinking about it & served to encourage more folks to post...and that can't be a bad thing. Kudos Green-Man!
Cori

Agree with that!
This thread added a lot of useful input for a lot of people Tony and aired an issue which has been in the back of many minds. So you should take a big pat on the back for delivering a thought which is right on the pulse of so many TGers . ... and keep them coming!

tovo

Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:44 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:

Agree with that!
This thread added a lot of useful input for a lot of people Tony and aired an issue which has been in the back of many minds. So you should take a big pat on the back for delivering a thought which is right on the pulse of so many TGers . ... and keep them coming!
I appreciate that thought Chris. I think it is important to discuss the issues. Thankfully this thread has been nothing but positive and very uplifting. Getting some input from members who have previously been silent has been great.

slinger

Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:52 pm

yes

:blush:

lil40

Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:31 pm

yes

:blush:
Ooooh, don't be, I'm sure penguins can play the guitar beautifully!... :kiss:

sws626

Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:03 pm

When I joined TG a year or so ago, I hadn't picked up a guitar in about 30 years. Posting a video to a group of strangers was just about the last thing I could have imagined wanting to do. It took me a while to record my voice and even longer to show my face. But you're not strangers anymore. And so many people at almost every conceivable stage of coming to terms with this instrument have shared this with us. I can't imagine a more generous and unintimidating audience.

There are indeed some incredibly beautiful virtuoso performances in the archive now -- depending on my mood, I admit that I sometimes find these inspiring and sometimes discouraging when I look at my own very modest progress. But this is such an incredibly supportive community and so many people have stuck their necks out and shown themselves struggling through the process of learning. How could that not be an inspiration?

The busking threads have really opened things up in two respects. They've provided a forum in which people are comfortable letting their hair down to play around with music they like without the tacit expectation of a critique. And they've also become a place to display some really amazing musical and multi-layered technical creations.

I can certainly understand why a lot of people might not want to post a video of themselves and I think we have to respect that choice. But there's certainly nothing to be afraid of or intimidated by in this crowd.

-Stuart

beaker

Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:49 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with many of the comments that have come up on this thread. In particular, Marc, Michelle, and Stuart's comments really made sense to me. Posting a video is a personal choice, some of us want to take advantage of everything the site (and Neil as an instructor) has to offer, others want to just pick away in anonymity. Either way is fine. Speaking strictly for myself, I am really glad that I have posted some video's, I have learned a lot from Neil and everyone else's comments, I have created a record of my progress, I have shared what I have been up to and hopefully (on a good day) I have provided some inspiration (although there is no lack of that on this site). I find it very enjoyable to watch video's of other people playing and in particular enjoy seeing the incredible progress that so many of us are making. We are all at different levels and we each have to accept where we are at today and dream about where we will go with this in the future, and for brand new people... realize this.... we have all been there, struggling with the chords, the barre chords.... all of it seems so hard at times, then slowly things get better and the impossible becomes possible. That is a commonality that we all share, also the fact that we are all moving forward.... that is for sure. The bottom line to me is that posting video's is about sharing what we are working on and contributing to the TG community. I am glad to see that so many people have gotten on board that I can't even keep up anymore! but that is just as it should be. Happy strumming, Beaker.

jim56

Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:10 am

Totally! I'll always be a beginner.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic