Are you intimidated?

AcousticAl

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:21 am

dennisg wrote:
Am I intimidated? Sometimes. But I'm not at all intimidated to post, just to post songs that other people are doing, especially when I think my version pales by comparison. An example would be Daryl's wonderful version of Homeward Bound. I saw that and thought that it was so good, I didn't really want to put my version up. It's enough for me to have learned it and to keep at it.

I think part of the reason I choose oddball songs is that there's little likelihood that other people will also be doing them.

One more thing: viewing this from the opposite perspective, I also don't upload songs I think I'm doing better than someone else who has just uploaded the same song. I wouldn't like it if he or she felt bad about the comparison or felt like I was trying to upstage them.

I, for one, would like to see your version of "Homeward Bound", Dennis.

AcousticAl

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:50 am

I don't have much to add to the great thoughts through this thread.

It also looks like this topic has encouraged some new people to post both to the forum and upload channel, which is great!

Good job, Tony!

audiobravo2403

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:01 am

This is a great thread and I love the responses from everyone showing just how great this community really is. I believe we all do have experience with the feeling of not being good enough. I have to admit to being my own worst critic, but I'm simply never satisfied with my performances. ( my better half says otherwise )

I spent many years not playing, as I'm sure is the case with several of us, and find myself constantly frustrated at how much I've forgotten. This site and this community have been a great inspiration and a wonderful tool to help get back into playing. Posting a video? I'm just not quite ready for that yet. Intimidated? No, not really. I'm just not comfortable enough with my playing yet.

With that said I also have to add that I am now looking forward to the prospect of doing a video in the near future. In fact I've been very much inspired by watching all the vids that are being posted and reading the feedback. I can't say enough about how supportive you all are. This is without a doubt the best guitar site I've ever seen and the community here is nothing short of awesome. Many thanks to Neil, the TG staff, and to all of you who make it happen.

ffsooo3

Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:08 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
dennisg wrote:
Am I intimidated? Sometimes. But I'm not at all intimidated to post, just to post songs that other people are doing, especially when I think my version pales by comparison. An example would be Daryl's wonderful version of Homeward Bound. I saw that and thought that it was so good, I didn't really want to put my version up. It's enough for me to have learned it and to keep at it.

I think part of the reason I choose oddball songs is that there's little likelihood that other people will also be doing them.

One more thing: viewing this from the opposite perspective, I also don't upload songs I think I'm doing better than someone else who has just uploaded the same song. I wouldn't like it if he or she felt bad about the comparison or felt like I was trying to upstage them.

I, for one, would like to see your version of "Homeward Bound", Dennis.
I, too, would like to see Dennis's version. Please.

jcrocket

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:05 pm

I'm a bit late to the party on this one, and can only speak from my own experience, but I really urge anyone - especially those that may feel a bit intimidated - to take the plunge and put up that first video post, you will be glad that you did.

I tend to be a bit hesitant to try new things, especially when they involve overcoming shyness and putting myself out there in any new setting. Seven months ago, I hadn't yet posted my first video, even though I had been a member here for several months. I kept on procrastinating until I finally summoned up the courage to put up a dark, grainy webcam version of "Carefree Highway" that I still refer to as my "witness-protection video". Within a few hours, I received my first tastes of the welcoming and encouraging nature of this community. To say that it was exhiliarating would be an understatement.

The tremendous benefits we receive from this site in terms of enhancing our guitar skills and enjoyment have been attested to by many, and are well documented. However, I feel like the benefit I received from putting up that first video was a milestone in my personal development which went beyond musical skills. Regardless of how much I improve my musical or recording skills in the future, I doubt that I'll take many single personal leaps that will rival the one I took when I first clicked on that upload button (other than maybe when I have my first open mic experience - something I would have absolutely never considered a few months ago).

Jeff

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic