Are you intimidated?

tovo

Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:17 pm

I was wondering. I do that a bit.

I think it's fair to say there are some great players here on TG. Others who have improved so much it is staggering. I won't name names, that's not my point.

I remember when videos for review didn't show faces, and NOBODY sang. Now everyone is having a go, and videos are much more focused on performance, not just technical competence.

I remember when a certain lady arrived on the scene, her playing was so good I felt a little intimidated. (please don't send me contact details for shrinks...I got over it by myself). However it hasn't stopped me posting. i understand that everyone is at different skill levels and I can learn heaps from the better players.

I was wondering though, are people intimidated by the better players to a point where there are reluctant to post a video? I'd hate to think that is the case. I'm thinking more about people who haven't put videos up.

I'm not trying to solve the problems of the World here, just something I thought was worth discussing.

cralph

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:05 pm

I do not know if I would cal it intimidated, but I do feel a little dumb at times when I watch the videos, because we do have some very talented people on this sight. I am a beginner of 5 months and am still trying to learn the guitar instead of playing too much music yet. I can get the cords down and fingering down OK, but am still trying to make music out of what I practice. I do sometimes feel that I could learn more if I could ask more questions such as what type of stings and guitar to use, etc. which seem to me like dumb questions. But I am often afraid to ask for feeling dumb. As far as videos, I do not feel ready to post anything yet, nor do I know how. The level of the postings are way above what I can do. I am not computer savy either, which prevents me from learning at a faster pace. Don't get me wrong. I love this site and there are tons of information available and I have learnt a lot in a short time. I looked at many sites before I chose this one. I am responding to this becaus it is about time for me to expand my resources available to me on this site. Hope I didn't bore everyone to bad. Hope everyone has a good week.

Lavallee

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:15 pm

Hi Tony, this question is certainly up to date and need to be push forward. When I look at the thread there were 55 people that read your question but nobody answered. There are great players and singers and I, for one, have been quite intimidated to sing. I have been playing for a little while now so posting a guitar only video is no problem (meaning not intimidated). I have seen a progression in my guitar playing and have more experience with the feed back that I know i will get positive feedback. That said, I am sure many people are holding back for many reasons like:

Not advanced enough in guitar playing compare to other posters and feel that their playing will not be interesting.

Cannot sing as well as others , or at all,

Do not have a fancy equipment,

Songs someone is learning were already posted by somebody else and the level of playing was better.

I wish players of all levels would post. Once the ice is broken, (must be a Canadian expression) there are so many benefits. This is not just for beginners. I am sure that there are advanced players that are afraid to be perceived as show off. There is always something to learn from a good player as Tony said.

It would be interesting to know why people do not post

Marc

Lavallee

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:23 pm

cralph wrote:
I do not know if I would cal it intimidated, but I do feel a little dumb at times when I watch the videos, because we do have some very talented people on this sight. I am a beginner of 5 months and am still trying to learn the guitar instead of playing too much music yet. I can get the cords down and fingering down OK, but am still trying to make music out of what I practice. I do sometimes feel that I could learn more if I could ask more questions such as what type of stings and guitar to use, etc. which seem to me like dumb questions. But I am often afraid to ask for feeling dumb. As far as videos, I do not feel ready to post anything yet, nor do I know how. The level of the postings are way above what I can do. I am not computer savy either, which prevents me from learning at a faster pace. Don't get me wrong. I love this site and there are tons of information available and I have learnt a lot in a short time. I looked at many sites before I chose this one. I am responding to this becaus it is about time for me to expand my resources available to me on this site. Hope I didn't bore everyone to bad. Hope everyone has a good week.
I know it is Tony's thread but , CRalph (let us know your first name Ralph?) , this is what I fear most, that people are afraid to ask anything. I have been here since the beginning and I have never seen anyone turn down on any questions. Actually there is always someone who will go overboard to help. As far as video, if you a have web cam, you can port and people will help. It is actually a great time to post a video when you begin as you will get good advices and prevent bad habits that takes longer to undo.

I am really glad you came forward.

Marc

millponddave

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Hi everyone. This is a great topic. When I joined this site I felt like I was learning so slowly I thought I would never progress. I thought that I must be the only one trying to learn all of this stuff at the advanced age of fifty-six. Especially when I see how fast my fifteen year old son is learning.I now realize that there are lots of folks out there that are struggling just like me and I know that if I just keep plugging away that I will learn and since joining TG my progress has been much faster than before. I just bought a camera and I will be posting my first video soon. I know that everyone here is supportive and truly enjoys watching the progress of other TG'ers. I am so glad that I stumbled on TG and I really enjoy the feeling of community that I have found here. Whenever I have a question I know that someone here will have an answer for me. I don't feel intimidated about posting a video because I know that I am among friends and those that are much better than I am will be glad to help me along.

Dave

michelew

Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:47 pm

I have to think about your question Tony, it's a good one...I'll get back later..(not much, but a little.. ;) )

thereshopeyet

Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:33 pm

Thanks

jimcjimc

Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:45 pm

Good question, Tony. And Marc, yes, I read Tony's post a few hours ago and was wondering who will respond, and should I respond seriously or with humor. :)

I think this is an amazing site and there are some really talented people with some awesome video & audio recording equipment making videos and that's great. I don't feel intimidated. As someone who is trying to learn guitar on my own (without taking lessons in person), the concept of getting feedback on your technique from Neil and from folks on the forum is great. And, of course, Chris' Busking suggestion which the site quickly added, adds a whole other great opportunity for people to share their favorite songs and their progress.

Including my recent sessions with Stuart, and last year's song contest, I think I have uploaded about a half dozen videos. If you search through Al's video techie group and old forum posts, anyone can learn a lot on how to make a video. My first was just with my PC's webcam. In fact, I had to re-do it as youtube uploading screwed up the video/audio sync. I later started to use a USB mike and Windows Moviemaker. And I just bought a Kodak Zi8 and downloaded audacity and plan to make some more videos soon.

I don't feel intimidated by the talents of other folks on the site. But as someone still learning how to strum and who (like a lot of others think your own voice sounds funny), there is something scary about putting videos on youtube. I have worried sometimes one of my videos would go viral like a really bad American Idol audition. My wife and my teenage son were pretty surprised to hear that I had actually posted videos of myself singing and playing guitar on youtube. In fact, they got some good laughs from it. No worries.

The recent site tie-in to Facebook has added a twist also. I 'liked" the video of Stuart & I Busking Bob Dylan. My sister, who lives across the country and who has no idea I started playing guitar, wrote a comment on my facebook wall "I liked the busking video - it's not all about the PTA for you". So, it's all good!

lueders

Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:54 pm

I'm still thinking....

But I think Marc has already mentioned the main reasons why some people don't post......

On the other hand, I don't think that the ones who are not posting nessescarily always compare themselves with the ones who do...I think a lot of shyness and insecurity are major factors as well, along with the reasons mentioned by Marc...considering all the videos put up here, I do think that all levels are in there...from beginners to advanced and everything in between.....and even for advanced players the camera can be a nerve-wrecking thing, so I can imagine putting a video up when being a beginner, well that ís pretty scary!

But being intimidated, I'm sure this is a factor for some as well....

So my next questions are, if that ís the case, what to do about it then?

How could advanced players avoid that others might be intimidated?

Or how could all the posting-members encourage others to do the same?

BobR

Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:55 pm

Hi Tony,

You always come up, with the thought provoking questions. I don't think I am intimidated. I do wish I were a better at this guitar thing but I am having a lot of fun. I enjoy knowing that when I post a video I'll get positive critiques and hopefully that will make me a better player and isn't that what we're all here for?

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic