Are you intimidated?

AcousticAl

Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:03 pm

CRalph, I think it's great that you've posted your comment as well..

And Marc is right, everyone around here has always and always been supportive to each other and try to help out whenever they can, there is always someone who does...then again you would be surprised if you ask a question, that lots of others have thát same question as well, but didn't dare to ask.....so you're right yourself, you could progress much more and benefit much more by interacting with other guitarplayers.

Thanks for stepping in and I really hope you will again with whatever question or maybe a video! (as for the last one, I'm not pc savy either, I just use a camera, windows moviemaker and that's about it, on the other hand, that's really enough as well!).

Cheers

Ness

cralph wrote:
I do not know if I would cal it intimidated, but I do feel a little dumb at times when I watch the videos, because we do have some very talented people on this sight. I am a beginner of 5 months and am still trying to learn the guitar instead of playing too much music yet. I can get the cords down and fingering down OK, but am still trying to make music out of what I practice. I do sometimes feel that I could learn more if I could ask more questions such as what type of stings and guitar to use, etc. which seem to me like dumb questions. But I am often afraid to ask for feeling dumb. As far as videos, I do not feel ready to post anything yet, nor do I know how. The level of the postings are way above what I can do. I am not computer savy either, which prevents me from learning at a faster pace. Don't get me wrong. I love this site and there are tons of information available and I have learnt a lot in a short time. I looked at many sites before I chose this one. I am responding to this becaus it is about time for me to expand my resources available to me on this site. Hope I didn't bore everyone to bad. Hope everyone has a good week.

thereshopeyet

Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:25 pm

Thanks

Chasplaya

Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:53 pm

Well I haven't posted anything in the review thread or the Busking one, primarily cos I am dissatisfied with my recording set up which in my opinion stinks as the practices I've done, and there have been a few my guitar sounds dreadful. I have now resolved that hopefully by buying a Micro BR for recording and a new instrument mic.

Intimidated maybe slightly as one of the longest serving members I sometimes get the feeling more is expected and that is daunting. I am also having to relearn a lot of things that I played 'my way' previously. However, I have made a resolution to post my interpretations of at least 9 of Neil's lessons this year starting with a level 1 then going through each level to level 9.

But the biggest issue for me as said is poor technical audio/video ability with recording.

Lavallee

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:07 am

Chasplaya wrote:
Well I haven't posted anything in the review thread or the Busking one, primarily cos I am dissatisfied with my recording set up which in my opinion stinks as the practices I've done, and there have been a few my guitar sounds dreadful. I have now resolved that hopefully by buying a Micro BR for recording and a new instrument mic.

Intimidated maybe slightly as one of the longest serving members I sometimes get the feeling more is expected and that is daunting. I am also having to relearn a lot of things that I played 'my way' previously. However, I have made a resolution to post my interpretations of at least 9 of Neil's lessons this year starting with a level 1 then going through each level to level 9.

But the biggest issue for me as said is poor technical audio/video ability with recording.
Hi Chas , I am not sure why you are putting so much pressure on yourself. This is all for fun. I have a cheap camera and no sound setup, and nobody has never made a negative comment on it (in my face, anyway). You are presenting this as a competition or an expectation (you say more is expected because you have been on the site for a long , long , long time ;) ) Nothing wrong playing something your way. You did such a fantastic job with your resonator, I would really like to see more.

I hope I am not too pushy

Marc

Chasplaya

Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:24 am

Lavallee wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:

Hi Chas , I am not sure why you are putting so much pressure on yourself. This is all for fun. I have a cheap camera and no sound setup, and nobody has never made a negative comment on it (in my face, anyway). You are presenting this as a competition or an expectation (you say more is expected because you have been on the site for a long , long , long time ;) ) Nothing wrong playing something your way. You did such a fantastic job with your resonator, I would really like to see more.

I hope I am not too pushy

Marc
Hi Marc No you're not pushy, Its maybe I'm just quite fussy and particular and takes a lot to satisfy myself also. But that will change this year I'm confident my new gear should help improve. Honestly if you'd heard the quality of audio from my camera you would know what I'm saying, It couldn't pick up either my nylon Takamine without distorting the sound and the Cole Clark came out like an Electric!

AndyT

Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:16 am

Time has a lot to do with it as well.

I had at least a dozen videos I wanted to shoot and post but just when I think I can get to it, something more pressing comes up and I have no time to get it done.

Then add in the camera fright. I think I play pretty well as long as I'm not the one up in front that everyone is focused on. I've had many comments on how well I play, but as soon as the camera goes on... my skill goes off.

haoli25

Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:19 am

Intimidation........Hmmmmmmm?

The most intimidating guitar experience I can think of would be to sit in the same room and play guitar with Tommy Emmanuel. But wait, Matt Williams and Neil have already done that. :) :)

tovo

Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:40 am

thereshopeyet wrote:

I could turn the question around.

Do you feel intimidated because some folk don't upload?
Maybe they are so much more skilled.... etc...

:)
Mate not intimidated, more disappointed. I always enjoy a video from a person who is new to uploading. Actually I enjoy them all, but it takes a ton of guts to upload that first video, praying all the time that people don't think it is awful.

I appreciate that the first response was from someone (Ralph I guess your name is mate?) with only a couple of posts and I really appreciate your honest response. I would agree with Marc, don't ever be scared to ask questions, you will NEVER be made to feel silly here for doing so.

Marc you silly Canadian, you should always feel free to comment. Man it's not "my" thread, it's a discussion. Sometimes I start bad ones, sometimes good, but if nobody comments it's hopeless! :-)

Chas I think you raised a really good point. I do think some of the longer term members refrain from posting videos because they feel there is more expectation on them.

I think if you look at people who have made great strides and continue to do so, the common factor is a willingness to put themselves out there and if it's not perfect, so be it. The list of those people is real long, and that's great. But I'd LOVE to see some new people give it a try.

tombo1230

Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:11 am

Many years ago my teacher at college would say,'If in doubt ask,' and 'There are no bad questions just unasked and unanswered ones.' So please ask what you may consider as daft questions, as the rest of us may just learn something as well. :)

Tom N.

michelew

Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:53 am

I'm a regular poster so I don't think Tony's question is aimed at me or other regular posters. But, I'd like to say that I am inspired by almost every video I watch, not intimidated, whether it's:

- amazing advanced players like Vanessa, Tom, Mark, Beaker ( I know I'm missing people here, but you get the idea),
- awesome finger pickers like Jay,
- incredible flat pickers and strummers like MarkM,
- rockers like Marc
- people that have amazing repertoires like Chris, Jerry, Daryl, Buddy and Al
- fantastic singers like Chris, Buddy, John, Vanessa, Tammy, Helen and Al
- people that show new material and amazing overall performances like Dennis and others
- people that are learning new things and pushing themselves to improve and achieving greatness like Suzi and Tony
- people that are struggling with something, but are having a go like Tony with Norwegian Wood or Brad
- people starting from a low base that are applying themselves and doing great like Brad,
- people stepping out of the comfort zone and singing like lots of people are doing now and
- EVERYONE that has a go! Especially if it is scary for them.

I've missed lots of people that inspire me all the time from the above list, but you get the point. Regardless of level, regardless of style or choice of material or how polished the performance is it feeds my desire to do more, learn more and basically improve.

I posted my first video in April 2009, which was definitely nerve wracking for me. I physically shook while playing. But, with each video I can honestly say that the nerves have improved. The feedback and support I get NEVER ceases to amaze me and to inspire me to post more. Gosh, I'm even singing now because this is such a supportive community that I know no one is going to tell me to pack up and go home.

Why do I post videos? Well initially it was to have something to work towards and to start to keep a record of my playing. Now, it's those things, and to get feedback and advice, but it's also fun and because people are cheeky enough to challenge me to post certain types of songs. And I feel like I'm improving a little in some way each time I work towards a new video.

So, why don't more people post? This is the most supportive community you're ever going to find so if you can't play here, then where? For me posting is a stepping stone to playing in front of people live.

Also, there may be some little or big thing that you're doing, which once pointed out may just help you to really improve your playing. But, you may never find out if you don't take the chance to feel uncomfortable.

So I say to everyone that hasn't posted a video but would like to, take a chance and the risk of feeling a little scared and silly. I know you won't regret it and you'll be asking yourself why you didn't do it sooner.

Well that's my rave for the evening.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic