Positive AND Negative or what?

AndyT

Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:24 am

TG is a great place for people to develop confidence in their playing because all the videos that get posted almost always get loads of comments and its almost always positive.

Have you ever seen a video on TG that you felt negatively about? Did you comment on it? Would you give out negative comments?

Obviously, we want to encourage, but do you have a line and what does it take for you to cross it?

jayswett

Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:51 am

Hard to imagine posting any negative comments about a video. Constructive criticism would certainly be welcomed, I would think, but I wouldn't put that sort of thing into the category of "negative comments."

willem

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:06 am

Cross the line,,i think we do!!! but we call it suggestion(s) i think,,but i don't KNOW about PM'S

ffsooo3

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:28 am

When I think it needs more work I try to suggest what to work on......so no I wouldn't give a negative comment, rather constructive criticism as Jay puts it..

RicksPick

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:48 am

I remember a video that was awful, that line was tested, but no one commented on it, they just gave praise for puttting it up.
Now this video wasnt up for advice as it was for the compitition to win a guitar, so a little different.

It's all in how it is worded, which is sometimes misunderstood, with this being international.
I have to be especially careful with my warped humor.

Yes the video was mine, Yes I was singing, never again will I push the bar/line, promise. :unsure:

RicksPick

P.S. The only time I would cross said line is if someone was being horrid on purpose, which doesnt happen here due to the strong leadership and family atmosphere

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:12 am

That is one of the outstanding features of this community. People don't give negative comments and they shouldn't. Giving well meant tips and pointing out ways to improve is constructive and most do that. My own standards and confidence is growing ever day here as I see what people post and with the feedback I get on my posts and the effect is to make me more critical about my own performance but more sensitive to others. i think that is a natural healthy reaction which probably most of us share. There is a line which should not be crossed but no one here crosses it and I think everyone realises that it would reflect more on the line crosser than the poster.

dennisg

Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:40 pm

No one has defined what negative criticism means, so I'm not sure what everyone has in mind.

For me, unwanted criticism is the kind of input that is both negative and not actionable -- that is, the kind of negative criticism I can't do anything about. I'm totally fine with people telling me that my tempo drifted, my voice sounds like it's straining on certain high notes, I'm not sustaining guitar notes long enough, I'm singing off key -- in other words, anything I can, with practice, correct. What's not okay with me are comments I can't do anything about -- I hate the song, you're not a very good guitarist, you probably shouldn't sing, etc. But I totally welcome anything whose purpose is to make me a better performer.

Having said all that, I remember that Damian once put up the song "American Pie," which is probably my least favorite song ever, and I told him so. I've come to regret having said that because 1) who cares what my least favorite song is, and 2) there's not a damn thing he can or should do about his choice of songs simply because I don't like it. Someone made a similar comment about my song "Sad songs and waltzes." It was a comment that I thought was unnecessary and hurtful, which helped me to understand why my comment about "American Pie" was just plain wrong.

eagle670

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:02 pm

I think the rule of "If you can't say something nice, then don't say nothing at all" would apply here.

Neil is the instructor and we are all students. Offering words of encouragement and support is what should come from TG Members. Granted there are plenty of TG members that have the knowledge to offer specific criticism's. I for one cannot comfortably offer up any type of technical criticism except for liking or disliking a performance. Criticism coming from Neil should be wanted and expected, I want to improve as a guitar player...isn't that why we all are here.

Kevin

MarkM

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:49 pm

I must agree with everyone here that has stated not having seen a "negative" comment. I have never received a comment or suggestion that was out of line and I hope I have never given one. I am more sensitive to the comments I do respond with now more than ever because there are so many more folks posting videos which is a good thing. With a member that I've know for a while I may be more inclinded to offer more suggestions because I'm familiar with them. If I do offer a suggestion it is usually with a situation that was once difficult for me and therefore I knew what steps I took to improve a particular skill or technique. I look for the same in comments or suggestions that I get as well. When I do put a song up I try and explain what it is that I'm trying to work on or show a new technique/skill/style that I'm trying out. While working on a song I may be totally focused on a particular part and someone will make this suggestion or comment that enables me to see the forest through the trees as they are seeing/hearing it from a different perspective. Those are usually the most valuable comments I get. I hope that I have from time to time been able to share that with a comment that I leave someone.

MarkM

tovo

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:06 pm

I actually think this is a really good question. I have always tried to be constructive with comments but I'd never be openly critical. I agree with Mark it's easier when you are more familiar with the originator. Den talked about a specific case, so will I. There was a video I was so damned impressed with that I wrote only a couple of words in response, thinking I was being very complimentary, and instead the owner of the video felt my response was poor. I was horrified and still am when I think about it. My INTENT was a massive compliment but the result was something else.

Online communication has a very high potential to be misinterpreted. Many people here are great guitarists but many of us (absolutely including me) are not skilled writers.

Comments that are deliberately nasty are VERY rare here and as Chris said, that is a tremendous strength of the site.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic