Duplicate uploads- what's your take?

AcousticAl

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:39 am

A post about duplicate uploads on TG got me a-thinkin' (dangerous at times).
I personally like the idea of multiple uploads by different people of the same song- but I guess it depends on why and where you post on TG.

Student Channel Uploads-- If you're learning a song and want feedback from Neil and the community- then multiple posts are great. There are a few duplicate songs that Neil has reviewed- Brad's version and my version of "Just Breathe" comes to mind, but I know there are others as well. I've also learned things from duplicate posts-- little tweaks that other people add to songs that I can copy.

Busking Uploads-- If I'm just posting for fun to the busking section, and was about to put up a killer version of a song that I'm really happy with- but someone else had posted the same song and barely made it through- then I guess I would delay posting my version. But I'd still put it up eventually. As someone else said in Tony's thread- we're all at different stages, and someone could learn something from my upload, and I could learn something from theirs.

To use me as another example, I'd hate to think that something I've posted would stop someone else from posting the same song. Take "For What It's Worth" for example.. I realize that not many people have the gear to do multi-tracking-- but it is great to see different interpretations of songs. Everyone brings something different to it, which is a good thing.

What's your take?

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:05 am

Take 1: The more posts the merrier ... this is everyone's playground and some enjoy playing, others enjoy watching folks playing.We are all at different levels and we should encourage and empower the less experienced the most.

Take 2: It's fun to see how someone has progressed when they post their own take 2 of a song they did previously and have been working further on.

Take 3: No one should hold back on a post because of what someone else has posted... except may be those of us who are posting a lot, we should be careful as you suggest Al but I think we all have a good sensibility to the issues.

AcousticAl

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:09 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Take 1: The more posts the merrier ... this is everyone's playground and some enjoy playing, others enjoy watching folks playing.We are all at different levels and we should encourage and empower the less experienced the most.

Take 2: It's fun to see how someone has progressed when they post their own take 2 of a song they did previously and have been working further on.

Take 3: No one should hold back on a post because of what someone else has posted... except may be those of us who are posting a lot, we should be careful as you suggest Al but I think we all have a good sensibility to the issues.

Hi Chris,

I wasn't referring to people who post a lot of songs. I'm in that category occasionally as well.
Really just whether people shied away from posting their versions of songs that had already been posted by other members.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:15 am

AcousticAl wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:

Hi Chris,

I wasn't referring to people who post a lot of songs. I'm in that category occasionally as well.
Really just whether people shied away from posting their versions of songs that had already been posted by other members.
Yes, I agree with you completely Al!

Lavallee

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:18 am

Good question Al and I think it is complementary to Tony's thread, as I am sure it is another reason why people would not post. Someone is about to post a song and realize that someone has already posted it so he or she decide to keep it for themselves. Or it could be a reason why someone would choose to learn a song, because nobody has done it before.

Personally I think it is great to post the same song by multiple players. You outlined it very well, when you said that there is always something to learn about a song from all level. Not posting a song because it has already been posted would mean that there is some kind of competition or some established rule preventing this.

Not posting a song because somebody else did it would defeat the purpose to post a song which is to get feedback and improve. This is not a showcase , it is a learning site.

Marc

davesnow77

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:31 am

Yeah a good question indeed.....I think I do hesitate or not post when a song is done already, especially in the busking-area...

But for instance, I had been working on Bourree quite hard and I wanted to put it up for the review-section and only a couple of days before Matt posted it as well...so yes, that felt quite akward...but I did it anyway because of the hard work and because of the things that I need to learn from it.....and guess what, we both got reviewed the same week, cause there was something to learn from both posts, regardless the fact that it were duplicate uploads.....then again, when the upload is that close after the other, I do tend to pm someone about it, like Matt in this case or Suzi earlier with Alice's restaurant..

Ness

TGMatt

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:42 am

I have only one message for anyone contemplating uploading anything ..

DO IT !....

You will get something from it..

(1) there is no such thing as a duplicate upload - Every one's version is different, including yourself playing the same song..

(2) What gets reviewed under Student reviews is Neils choice...Let him make it ...If you have posted the same song twice or more, that is fine by him..

(3) Busking the same song again is not duplicate - It is entirely different, your singing, your playing, heck even your guitar and your strings , the way you record it, whether you have a dog sitting next to you...it is all different, and unique..And we all want to see it , and if we don't we have this incredible thing called choice to allow us to avoid watching it..

(4) Every upload and every post here helps TG, and in doing so you guys.

(5) Music is an expression - The very act of just getting it out is reward enough, what anyone thinks next including yourself is just Judgment and that my friends is Golum in the gears...

My thoughts

Cheers

willem

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:51 am

I can be short on this,,when i would upload a song i want to play the whole song and it would be to learn from comments or suggestions,,i don't have any competitions feelings when the song is al ready upload by someone else and would'nt hesistate,,i'm here to learn,,well oke its fun too.

MarkM

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:24 pm

TGMatt wrote:
I have only one message for anyone contemplating uploading anything ..

DO IT !....

You will get something from it..

(1) there is no such thing as a duplicate upload - Every one's version is different, including yourself playing the same song..

(2) What gets reviewed under Student reviews is Neils choice...Let him make it ...If you have posted the same song twice or more, that is fine by him..

(3) Busking the same song again is not duplicate - It is entirely different, your singing, your playing, heck even your guitar and your strings , the way you record it, whether you have a dog sitting next to you...it is all different, and unique..And we all want to see it , and if we don't we have this incredible thing called choice to allow us to avoid watching it..

(4) Every upload and every post here helps TG, and in doing so you guys.

(5) Music is an expression - The very act of just getting it out is reward enough, what anyone thinks next including yourself is just Judgment and that my friends is Golum in the gears...

My thoughts

Cheers

Couldn't have said it better myself. Great articulation here Matt. I have at times not posted something because it was already up or I felt I got my allotment of songs for the month. I've been a bit more careful about what I submit for review or busking for that matter. Meaning as Neil puts lessons on certain songs because of the value or teaching moment that song enables, I am trying to put different types of songs up for review that represents something different than I have posted before. Therefore getting a different teaching moment for me if I do get a review. Not sure if that makes sense or not.

MarkM

tovo

Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:47 pm

We don't own the tunes we post and so I think it would be pretty unrealistic to refrain from posting a tune because someone else has. If you take that concept to it's logical conclusion we would have 1 version of each TG tune and a heap of busking threads. I like seeing different takes on the same tune here at TG.

Post away and prosper.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic