Duplicate uploads- what's your take?

Chasplaya

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:06 pm

I can understand people being reticent with the Busking thread, that is a showcase to express yourself. There are a few songs in there that I might get round to doing someday, If you recall Andy Warhols quote about 15mins of fame so I wouldn't steal someone's 15mins of fame, I'd rather wait and reconsider it later. As well as a showcase it has great value in introducing other songs to members that they might never be exposed to. Also as has been said you can usually get something from everyone. Hey even Buskers repeat there repertoire if you stand an listen long enough!

The Student Upload thread totally different,this is one of the major Raison d'être of this site and no one should be put off just cos its just been done by another member, this is the learning and teaching aspect of the site that help round of the training/learning cycle and where you have a good chance of getting Neil's feedback. I know I don't care if a song has been repeated here, I watch for the learning points that Neil provides.

michelew

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:31 pm

Well I posted 'Heart of Gold' shortly after Brad posted his in the Busking thread. I definitely hesitated in putting mine up, but didn't think of PM'ing Brad, wihch would have been a good idea. At the time I remember being cross with myself that I had gotten half way through the project and then gotten distracted and so it was delayed (hence the 'you snooze you lose comment'). However, I also decided to post because I had put a fair amount of work into it already and I didn't want it to go to waste. If this issue comes up for me again, I'll adopt the PMing ettique for sure.

I do like seeing different versions of songs, however. For example, I would have liked to have seen Dennis post his of Homeward Bound after Daryl's one; (and Vanessa's version or anyone else's that loves this song). It would have been great to see how they changed it.

Maybe we should start a thread where the idea is that everyone who posts into it posts their latest version/interpretation of a specific song. Could be fun.

Michele

suziko

Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:08 pm

This is an interesting subject and I have some personal experience with it. Soon after I posted Alice's Restaurant, Vanessa PMd me to say she had learned it too. I encouraged her to post her version of it, which she soon did. I will confess, though, that when I first saw Vanessa's version, I was kind of crushed. Hers was played so perfectly, so much better than I could have done even if I'd worked on the song for another 2 months. My initial reaction was to feel really negatively towards myself and my playing. LUCKILY, I fairly quickly got over that, not only by means of some personal pep talking, but also by talking with a couple of good TG friends. I realized that there is absolutely no good reason to compare my playing with someone else's. Vanessa and I have very different experiences, are at different stages of our guitar learning, and are different people. The only thing useful for me to do is to compare my own playing now with my playing at a different stage (say, a year ago). Could I have played Alice's Restaurant at all a year ago? No way! So I should be proud of the progress I made. And I am.

In saying this, I am saying that if I thought I could play a song better than someone else, I would be hesitant to post the same song right after another person had posted it because I might worry that it would hurt their feelings. I'm not arguing that their feelings SHOULD be hurt (they shouldn't be), or that my way is right. I'm just saying how I personally would feel. I would most likely wait a while, or just not post it at all.

I've had the opposite happen, where I was just about to post something and right then someone beat me to the punch. This happened some time last year with Is There Anybody Out There. Someone (maybe Abiliog?) posted a fabulous version of it about a day before I planned to post my own. I looked at how that person played it and compared it to my own version and decided to not post it. Mine was nowhere near as good as that person's and I wasn't comfortable having it put up side-by-side with the other version. I would have been embarrassed. I decided to shelve it and (in theory) keep working on it until I had it to a state where I'd be more proud of what I was posting.

Again, that's just me. I think Vanessa's route of PMing someone to ask how they'd feel about you posting the same song so near in time to theirs is good etiquette and something I'd recommend to people. I know I really appreciated it when she PMd me first.

Reading through everyone's comments, I realize I'm very much in the minority here, and I certainly respect everyone else's opinion on this.

Suzi

RicksPick

Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:24 pm

Well In 5 years time there will be several duplicates on here

I have uploaded tunes others had uploaded like " greensleeves " and thats following Michele and Suzi
How can anyone follow that/ them? but I had worked hard on it, was proud of it
And by dam will do it again lol ( opps must watch my humour)

I put up a version of Hey Joe, people kindly put up there own version to help me with bits, even sent me tab of the intro.

So bring on the duplicates, Hey I might even upload Heart of Gold, now there's one tune that needs another version lol

RicksPick :P

Even managed to post this after Michele and Suzi, Im not stalking honest, lol

suziko

Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:28 pm

To clarify, I thought the issue wasn't posting a version of the same song at any point, but rather posting the same song close in time to when someone else posts it. I don't think there's an issue with various members posting their own versions of one song. When I posted Needle and the Damage Done it had already been posted a few times, and I was inspired to learn and post it because of Jay's video of it.

ffsooo3

Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:10 pm

I know I have been guilty of overloading the Busking and Collaboration threads. Sorry. I was just having too much fun and I couldn't control myself. I have since calmed down and I am on sabbatical ("an extended period of leave from one's customary work, esp. for rest, to acquire new skills or training, etc.") except for perhaps a guest appearance on someone else's upload.

I agree with all those who say the more duplicates the better! Think of the gazillion covers of "Yesterday" over the years. Have any two been alike? Not likely!

Chasplaya

Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:59 pm

ffsooo3 wrote:
I know I have been guilty of overloading the Busking and Collaboration threads. Sorry. I was just having too much fun and I couldn't control myself. I have since calmed down and I am on sabbatical ("an extended period of leave from one's customary work, esp. for rest, to acquire new skills or training, etc.") except for perhaps a guest appearance on someone else's upload.

I agree with all those who say the more duplicates the better! Think of the gazillion covers of "Yesterday" over the years. Have any two been alike? Not likely!
I don't believe you have any need to be sorry about posting as many songs, we all have fun and enjoy listening to them I'm sure. I think good points have been made about maybe PM'ing those that may have just posted before you or even maybe give it a while and give them there 15mins and look at coming back to it later. We are all mostly at different levels and as such expectations are different; I know I've recently taken this on board and have started working towards posting more often this year. Playing with the technology new mic and Micro BR and learning about synchronising with Video at present and finally getting to a place I'm happy. Having said that I'll apply the PM'ing idea and or wait awhile. Happily a few of the songs I want to post have been done but quite some time ago now.

thereshopeyet

Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:16 am

Thanks

willem

Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:46 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
[video][/video]

I upload this video which was taken
December 2010.

It is not a reflection of Sensi Neil’s
Excellent instruction but rather.

Tovo’s Intimidation

Vanessa’s Foreseeable Revenge!
Bear’s Responses……. He’s a big bear 
Michelle’s Attitude 
AndyT’s Prayin!
Suzi’s playing!
A Penguin’s Theriosnessssss !
dTaylors 18 month sentence to Classical Gas
Rapsidy’s Speeding!
Moondogs Fishing
RicksPicks’ Dangerous Arrows!
Chris who never found the time …. It’s 4.24am!!
Wrench’s wrenching!
Music Junkie junking junkie
Reiver’s reiving!
AndyT’s Prayin!
HeyJoe…. Cos he’s gotta gun!
Cosmic… he’s a mechanic, might borrow Joe’s gun!
Chas, The Retired Godfather come tiny super hero!
Bill,’s halo might be an angel, but unlikely!
DennisG’s kinda creepy!
Jim’s 56’s’s getting on a bit!
Willem’s Craziness!
And Everyone else…….
Oh and Al’s request for…..

For What it’s Worth!

Not very musical.
There is only room for improvement..
I’ll work on it and do it again and upload soon!
As you can see it need a lot of practice.

What do you mean, you don’t want to see it again!

Neil has put out so many great lessons have been put up recently
I look forwad to the rest of the year, many thanks Neil.
You make playing seem very possible
I’ve got my work cut out!

Much thanks to Vanessa my good friend and worst enemy!!
I liked my cave.

As for the rest of you……Intimidated?

Bloody Well Right

Supertramp
CAN'T ACCES YOUR VID,,IT'S A KINDA PRIVAT..

MarkM

Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:08 am

I already think you're very brave Dermot, can't believe you put it up here!

But you need to change the settings so that the others can watch it as well!

thereshopeyet wrote:
[/quote]

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic