Duplicate uploads- what's your take?

AcousticAl

Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:59 pm

dennisg wrote:
AcousticAl wrote:
One sticky point was the possibility of stealing someone else's thunder (or 15 minutes of fame) with a duplicate busking upload. My answer to that is to just let a bit of time pass between yours and someone else's duplicate upload in a busking thread.
I agree that it's good manners to allow someone to soak in the love before posting the same song. What I don't understand is why this should apply only to a busking thread. I would apply the same courtesy to someone posting a video in the student review channel.

The difference to me is that Student Upload Videos are more a learning tool. If you upload there, you're looking for specific feedback on your playing from the community (and hopefully Neil). The busking thread is more of a 'check it out' thread, where we're not necessarily asking for tips on how to improve. There is not as much 'thunder to steal' in a student upload.

I'd probably wait a few days on Student Uploads as well- but it's a different animal imho.

AcousticAl

Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:06 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
[video][/video]

I upload this video which was taken
December 2010.

Way to go, Dermot!
And I'm so glad it was 'For What it's Worth'! That song idea kinda started this thread.

thereshopeyet

Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:31 pm

Thanks

michelew

Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:01 pm

Dermot,

They say 'no guts, no glory'. Well from reading quite a few of your posts I know that you needed to muster a lot of courage to overcome your shyness about posting something and your lack of self-confidence. I was expecting a bit of a train-wreck from the way you were talking about your own playing. But, this video just confirms for me that we are all our own harshest critic.

I though you did a great job with this and deserve a lot of glory, not the least of which is having the guts to fight your own demons.

You really don't have far to go to completely nail this. So if you continue to work on it PLEASE post it again. I assure you the next post will be easier.

Great job.

Keep them coming.

Michele

michelew

Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:10 pm

dennisg wrote:
AcousticAl wrote:
One sticky point was the possibility of stealing someone else's thunder (or 15 minutes of fame) with a duplicate busking upload. My answer to that is to just let a bit of time pass between yours and someone else's duplicate upload in a busking thread.
I agree that it's good manners to allow someone to soak in the love before posting the same song.
OK - since I'm the only one that I can think of who has shown such bad etiquette in stealing other's thunder, (by uploading 'Heart of Gold' with no PM to Brad and only 1 and a half days gap), I need guidance. I feeling bad and want to ensure that if a situation like this comes up again, I act appropriately. So my question is as follows.

What do you think is an appropriate gap when uploading a duplicate song, to ensure we don't steal each others' thunder and allow them enough time to bask in the love?

2 days, 3 days, 4 days, a week? What is an appropriate period?

Michele

thereshopeyet

Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:06 pm

Thanks

ffsooo3

Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:48 pm

michelew wrote:
dennisg wrote:
AcousticAl wrote:
I agree that it's good manners to allow someone to soak in the love before posting the same song.
OK - since I'm the only one that I can think of who has shown such bad etiquette in stealing other's thunder, (by uploading 'Heart of Gold' with no PM to Brad and only 1 and a half days gap), I need guidance. I feeling bad and want to ensure that if a situation like this comes up again, I act appropriately. So my question is as follows.

What do you think is an appropriate gap when uploading a duplicate song, to ensure we don't steal each others' thunder and allow them enough time to bask in the love?

2 days, 3 days, 4 days, a week? What is an appropriate period?

Michele
Michele, I think the "appropriate" time is variable. It will depend upon the weather :blink: Actually, I think it will depend upon the "thunder". If there are oodles and oodles of comments, one wouldn't want to post something that says "hey what about THIS one?" if the prerequisite amount of time has passed. But if after 2 or 3 days (or 3 or 4 or whatever) the "storm" has passed I would think it's OK to post again. Just my 2 cents......You'll know when it's safe......

AcousticAl

Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:59 pm

Michele,

I don't think there was anything wrong with posting what you did, when you did. Don't beat yourself up over it. We might be making a bit of a mountain out of this- and it wasn't the intention of my thread.

To give you an example- I was about to post my version of 'Give a Little Bit' today, and I had no idea that Snipe was in the process of posting his. Oh well. There would be two versions uploaded- no harm, no foul. I'll wait a bit before posting my version. Don't know how long- I'm working on a few songs right now.

There's lots of advice and opinions in this thread. There's no set amount of time to wait.. you don't even have to wait at all. Go with your gut- but the main thing is to post.

michelew

Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:20 am

Daryl and Al,

Thanks for those responses. They are both helpful and frankly not. But, that's OK. I'll just try and ensure that I'm being more sensitive next time.

I'd certainly welcome views from anyone that still has an opinion on this. The last thing I want to be doing is behaving improperly. That includes you Dennis.

I also agree that it's important that people keep posting.

Thanks and I'm glad that you started this thread Al. It's been good to get people's views on the issue.

Michele

Chasplaya

Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:39 am

The gap needs to be exactly 4 days 6 hours 33 minutes and 25 seconds

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic