THAT ONE THING ?

buddy

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:36 pm

In the spirit of helping one another move ahead with our guitars, what is the single most important thing that you have learned about guitar that has helped you improve as a player and musician ?

dennisg

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:50 pm

I've discovered, while trying to learn "Never going back again" late at night, that if you put your left hand over the third fret and your right hand at about the sixth fret, it's possible to fling the guitar down the driveway so that it skids instead of bounces, avoiding waking up the neighbors.

tovo

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:52 pm

One thing? Man I get told I ask tough questions! :-)

If I had to pick one thing, I would say the value of good attitude. Practice, persistence, knowing when to leave a tune alone for a bit and come back to it, not comparing yourself to other more experienced players in a negative way, being open to ideas and suggestions, not expecting to be Tommy in a month or a year, or ever.

A lot of things but all summed up in "good attitude".

MarkM

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:57 pm

The only way to grow as a player is to leave your comfort zone from time to time..........At the moment I am so far away from my )#$)$(* comfort zone but progressing every day.........

MarkM

wiley

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:08 pm

ffsooo3

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:09 pm

That if you break it down into small enough pieces, with persistence, it really is doable.

And Dennis you're WAY TOO FUNNY! :lol: :laugh:

millponddave

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:36 pm

I have to go with realizing that improvement comes most usually, in very small increments that add up to big changes over time, and that many times I don't even realize that I have made a significant improvement until someone points it out to me. I think we all tend to be our own worst critics.

Dave

BobR

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:47 pm

I am sitting here trying to think of that one thing. If it has to be just one, it's that I just really enjoy playing and I look forward to it.(Sorry Is that two things? :laugh: )

bob

cosmicmechanic

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:01 pm

There is only so much that you can learn about playing guitar on your own ... struggling alone in the wilderness with tabs of dubious quality is the road to perdition.

... ain't it nice here ? :)

Pierre

michelew

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:04 pm

dennisg wrote:
I've discovered, while trying to learn "Never going back again" late at night, that if you put your left hand over the third fret and your right hand at about the sixth fret, it's possible to fling the guitar down the driveway so that it skids instead of bounces, avoiding waking up the neighbors.
Too bloody HILARIOUS!

That reading ANY of Dennis' posts while eating or drinking is hazardous for you and your immediate environment. I nearly sprayed laksa over the lunch table.

Oh, and as Daryl said, if you break the song down enough and work on each section until you've crack it, you can play just about anything eventually.

And to try new things.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic