THAT ONE THING ?

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:12 pm

dennisg wrote:
I've discovered, while trying to learn "Never going back again" late at night, that if you put your left hand over the third fret and your right hand at about the sixth fret, it's possible to fling the guitar down the driveway so that it skids instead of bounces, avoiding waking up the neighbors.
Now that is funny Dennis! I bet you did that too!
I did demolish my first guitar and most of my first tennis rackets... but my temperament has cooled with the years :-).

Maybe the most important thing I have come to understand over the years is that no matter how little you improve in one sitting, over a few months you improve perceptibly and improvement builds up over time so that a year later you are a lot better than you were and there is not much regressing if you keep at it.

wammer

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:18 pm

:laugh: Dennis toooooooooooooooo funny......been there and soooooooooooooo wanted to do that LMAO

I want to say PRACTISE PRACTISE PRACTISE......... But the one thing that has always been good for me is playing with others.....

Tammy

suziko

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:41 pm

As others have said:

If you practice regularly, even if it's just a small amount every day, that no matter what, you will get better.

sbutler

Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:50 pm

I guess that's like saying "If at first you don't succeed, suck and suck until you do succeed"

Or something of that nature.

There's nothing like your first self filmed video to find out how much you suck. That's what I just did a few minutes ago. However, I know that if I hadn't at least practiced in between reading all these post's, I would have been a lot worse.

For me, that one thing, is just practice.

Scott

Chasplaya

Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:06 pm

dennisg wrote:
I've discovered, while trying to learn "Never going back again" late at night, that if you put your left hand over the third fret and your right hand at about the sixth fret, it's possible to fling the guitar down the driveway so that it skids instead of bounces, avoiding waking up the neighbors.
Very good Dennis, hey this could be a new TG competition Guitar Flinging, points for artistic flair and points for distance, You would need a handicap system for those with Taylor's I hear you are apt to be more aggressive when flinging them...

One thing well I would say is perseverance at whatever regime you employ to practice and not getting sidetracked like Posting too much on these forums...

abiliog

Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:25 am

Well, Bob Dylan words do come to my mind, and I think I could use them here - "There's no success like failure".
Abilio

willem

Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:52 am

The most important thing for me was and i quote'''never let your strumming hand stop''..

neverfoundthetime

Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:38 am

cosmicmechanic wrote:
There is only so much that you can learn about playing guitar on your own ... struggling alone in the wilderness with tabs of dubious quality is the road to perdition.

... ain't it nice here ? :)

Pierre

Amen Brother!

This is a very interesting thread and a great question Buddy. If I was allowed a second thing, it would be playing with others. Playing with someone else who is supportive and (best case) more knowledgeable and skilful than yourself is so much fun and can be very energising. When playing in front of some folks, I am always struck by how much more difficult it is to play alone than with someone else as you can bounce off them and get back all the energy you put in yourself twofold. There is simply more energy, excitement and enjoyment playing with others. I have probably made my biggest leaps iin improvement while and after playing with others.

buddy

Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:07 am

Wow, some great pearls from you guys/ladies on this. I would add that sticking with a song until I learn the whole thing all the way through by memory has helped me a lot.

AndyT

Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:14 am

You never fail until you quit trying.

That's my one thing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic