THAT ONE THING ?

ncsurfer

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:18 pm

"If I've learned nothing else, it's that time and practice equals achievement" - Andre Agassi

If I ever dare to wonder why I can't play something well I think of this quote, it always applies.

I just picked up a book "Practicing: A Musicians Guide to Music" a memoir by classical guitarist Glenn Kurtz. I read the first few pages in the bookstore, it was a marvelous depiction of the passion and joy of making the guitar sing. I can't wait to read the rest of the book.

jayswett

Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:57 pm

The one thing that I've learned is that everyone should take a stab at singing. I realize that not everyone is meant to sing, and not everyone enjoys singing, but I do think that everyone should at least give it a try.

Hydroman52

Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:01 pm

The single most important? Play with others. Your horizons expand exponentially when you can steal . . . . . er . . . . . I mean borrow a technique or two from someone else. And, hopefully, they can steal something from you, too.

I would say that a close second to this is to play the best quality instrument available to you. A proper set-up is important, too. If you are really passionate about playing guitar, then get the best that you can afford. I'm not afraid to get a good used one either. That way, you can upgrade the quality a few notches if you don't mind some scratches and dents. The more that I am exposed to playing the guitar, the more I realize that it's easier to see the true beauty in the instrument with your eyes closed. And when your eyes are closed, they can't deceive you.

Hydroman52

tombo1230

Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:50 am

My one thing is, take small steps every day and eventually you will be miles better B) . :)

Tom N.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic