Tuning problems

leojwolf

Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:17 am

Hey out there, I need some advice. Just purchased a used Ibanez semi-hollow body electric (Gibson 335 look alike). I am having trouble keeping it in tune and having particular difficulty with the G-string. Getting bad tone out of the G-string,,,,kind of twangy sound and when played open, the tone seems to oscillate up and down, in and out of tune. Wondering if there's any tricks I can try myself before taking it to a shop and spending a bunch of $$$$.....??? Please help

wiley

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:24 am

wiley

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:34 am

leojwolf

Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:41 pm

Thanks for responding Wiley. Let me see if I can answer some of your questions.
1) yes, when I am tuning the guitar and hit the open G-string, it will ocillate back and forth from sharp to in-tune- to flat, kind of back and forth. Not bad, just enough to catch my ear.
2) the guitar is and Artcore model....I bought it used from Guitar Center...the previous owner had switched out the Ibanez original pick ups with Seymour Duncans and supposedly had changed out all the pots. That's really why I bought it, I thought these were good upgrades fro the price I paid
3) the strings are brand new, Slinky..10s
4) it does have the tailpiece with the floating saddle
5) Re: "hearing it plugged up"-----actually I hear it both ways, plugged and unplugged.....however, it's more dominant whenit's plugged in....probably seems worse when I'm on the bridge pick up
6) tuners I believe are the original ones from the factory
7) not sure about the nut, haven't really looked at it closely enough to say whether the groove is worn but I will do soon.

Thanks again for reaching out on this.....any recommendations are certainly welcomed....

Take car.

LW

wiley

Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:03 am

leojwolf

Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:15 am

WOW, seems like I found the right guy.....thanks for the education and advice.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic