When do you post in the busking channel rather than the review channel and why?

neverfoundthetime

Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:47 am

I see it like Bill said, the busking threads are like an open mic. I knew there were closet buskers out there wondering if they should post something but not wanting to go for the student channel for whatever reason. The less formal aspect of busking is pretty much how most of us play most of the time anyway... unless we have some concert guitarists here who have not yet declared themselves. And you will automatically get helpful feedback in the busking threads and I'm sure folks work just as hard on these posts as they do on the student channel. For my first year here, I didn't dare give any technical comment on any post as I didn't feel I knew enough (still feel the same but I have absorbed much TG wisdom) so I was just patting backs and clapping anyway.

I think I have a ying/yang thing going with Dennis. I'm more likely to post in the busking thread than the student channel but I am probably not working any less on a song and am no less grateful for any constructive feedback and see it as a huge learning situation. I may take things a little more lightly but music is a serious pleasure for me. I have found that the environment effects me greatly. friendly well meaning crowd: good, free flowing enjoyable performance. The student channel is all of that too but I feel under less pressure on the busking threads.

jcrocket

Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:25 pm

I really like how the busking threads organize people's postings by artist - much less cumbersome than having a separate thread for each video posted. We're all music lovers here, and it's fun to conveniently see different members' interpretations of a favorite artist.

I think having the option of using either the busking or the review channel probably leads to more posts, which is a positive all around. I believe the act of recording and posting a performance has an educational value in and of itself (especially for those new to it) - of course, feedback from the community and/or Neil obviously enhances that greatly.

Anyway, Neil has shown that he is not averse to pulling a video out of a busking thread and reviewing it if he feels it provides a good teaching opportunity, so I don't see much downside to using the busking channel.

Jeff

BigBear

Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:58 pm

I agree strongly with the majority of the comments here. The busking thread should be for all non-Target, non-reviewed songs. The student thread shouldn't be about posting just any song that a student wants to post.

It shouldn't matter whether someone puts a lot of work in song or not. That's irrelevant. Putting up a non-Target song and then hoping, or expecting, Neil review it is absurd. If Neil tries to review every song posted on TG it will become a nightmare. Some people have posted over 50 songs for crying out loud!! That isn't learning, that's performing!

I will reiterate what I said months ago that appaerntly ruffled a few feathers. There is very little, if any, learning value when a student posts a non-Target song to the student review thread. Sure, there is value to the poster if it gets reviewed but not to the rest of us. We don't have the music and can't work on the song so with the exception of some techniques that might be obvious, non-Target songs are useless to most of us. Maybe fun to hear, but useless as a learning tool.

I think the busking channel is great. Having said that, we need a better way to introduce new songs. If someone busks Gordon Lightfoot and they post If You Could Read My Mind, what does the next person do who wants to post Ghosts of Cape Horn for example? Maybe we need subcategories so each new song doesn't get drowned out by the original post. Maybe a "Busking Gordon Lightfoot- IYCRMM version 1" or something simlilar.

I will continue to lobby for Neil to review only Target songs that we all can access. I learn a lot from those and I suspect others do as well. There are well over 200 Target songs in the library already. Surely, we can all find a song that we can all learn from.

TGMatt

Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:16 pm

My thoughts on this are simple, and are based on discussions I have had with Neil, and culminate in the video we had shot that discussed this last week or so.

The busking thread was created for anyone to post anything to share...the motives are largely irrelevant , performing, showing off, sharing a new artist, who the heck cares ??.

It is a channel that helps TG get viewers, and a channel for you guys to have a bit of fun..

That's it, no need to get any deeper than that, use it have fun, share...

The busking Thread is open to anyone not just Target members - A key distinction, and this has had the effect of introducing some non Target members to uploading content which in turns helps TG and you al get to play with more playmates..

Neil occasionally looks at it, sometimes he gets a song or artist idea..etc..

Remember also a bunch of simple songs appear in busking that will likely never make it to Target, but are fun to sing and share...

Neil does not do reviews any more from the busking channel..

The Student channel is for Target members only ...

This is the only channel Neil is pulling student reviews from, from this point forward..

By placing your video in that channel you are asking for help.

Neil has again talked about the idea of wanting mostly Target songs here, so more folks can learn from the lessons...but will consider other songs, not in Target program for review, just don't expect it..

He has also called on new people to post so he can jump on those...and has even advised on some of the stuff he would like to see on a technical level..

Here is a link to the video that he did recently on this topic..

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/145 ... views.html

Also one last point...

We are all , mostly , a courteous caring bunch of folks...but I think at times we all get a little too "PC" sometimes...maybe...

If someone posts a video and did not PM someone who also posted the same song recently, well I don't think that is a sleight at all..

There does not seem to be a limit to the amount of audience applause here..it does not appear to be a finite resource..we have plenty to go around..

I would hate to see hesitation, for being worried about how someone or another may be offended by posting too close to theirs...Remember also that new folks may not even have a relationship yet with anyone let alone the individual concerned, or be tracking who posted what etc...

Maybe having two of the same things will hi -light the distinctions, as I have said before they are all ultimately different, and we are not going to run out of kind thoughts and kudos here...

Im hoping we grow enough that it is logistically impossible to contact each other...and be aware of what each other is doing etc..

So get them up, get them up often, be kind and nice to each other but don't hesitate. Life is too damn short to hesitate ..

Hope that is useful

Cheers

Matt

lueders

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:07 pm

Oh golly,

We got another thought provoking post going here. A lot of perspectives represented in these threads lately and is
QUITE interesting & illuminating about what goes into each person's thinking on the posting matter(s). I think most of us are in agreement on this one. (although, for various reason's... I think)

ROME RANDOM THOUGHTS:

1.) To the author of the post- Michele-I am going to go out on a limb here and say you're the last person anyone would accuse of being insensitive or conscientiously violating (as of yet) unwritten posting etiquette. The mere fact that you are conscience of the issue and worrying about being tactful speaks highly of your character. You're a good egg...ask anybody. Stop worrying.

2.) Busking is a hit! The number of posts as risen sharply.( Numbers don't lie.) A greater number of posts only serves to help with T.G. visibility and long term growth. I think it is a win-win! Folks who take on ( most to all) songs on as a project, are probably digging because ( in all likelihood) that frees up the student review side a bit more for reviews. And, most of the time you know right from the get-go: " okay, this person is posting the regular way for a reason."

3.) The idea of "busking" really does free you up to think: "Hey, cool I can post this tune that( may or may not be a target song) but it means something to me and I'm trying to document my progress. And, you know what I want to get this down before I lose it to the cosmos." This idea makes a lot of sense to me. The busking thread is full of the kind of playfulness and spontaneity that makes you learn a song in the first place. It can really push you to try new things. It can be whimsy that is the impetuous for getting through a new challenge. Busking is an outlet for those kinds of musings. There is difference between fun and showing off. If you're showing off...you shouldn't be here. Busking is pure fun. (Yet it can be and usually is educational as well.)

4.) It is just nice to see new things that folks are up to. Seeing more stuff is just plain better and inspiring. The end goal is to get better at guitar period. It is all about the journey.

KNOW THAT I HAVE SAID ALL THAT, IF I GET ANOTHER ATTACK OF POSTING AN ORIGINAL ONE OF THESE DAYS
WHERE SHOULD I POST IT?

michelew

Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:18 pm

Thanks to EVERYONE that responded. It's great to see people's views on this and that we're pretty much all in agreement.

Matt thanks for the info.

So 'it's all good'!

Cori -Thanks mate - you're a sweetie. Regarding your question, I reckon it depends whether you want Neil to consider providing advice on your composition, period.

Thanks everyone.

Michele

ffsooo3

Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:52 pm

Cori, Like Michele said, if you want Neil to consider reviewing an original it has to in the TGStudentReview channel. Otherwise, I suggest starting a "Busking Original Compositions" thread.

lueders

Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:19 pm

ffsooo3 wrote:
Cori, Like Michele said, if you want Neil to consider reviewing an original it has to in the TGStudentReview channel. Otherwise, I suggest starting a "Busking Original Compositions" thread.
Hello Daryl, I started a thread a week or two ago about this. "original compositions 101 thread." The premise was basically what you suggested. Didn't seem like there was two much interest aside from Mark and Dean and a couple others (sorry I forgot exactly who else...) Dean and Mark both had some great ideas about to frame the idea. But, beyond that it didn't really go anywhere. I'm not sure the interest is there. If a person is inclined to apply this stuff and come up with your own tunes there isn't presently an obvious choice of where to post. Because you would like feedback, (especially from Neil) but at the same time you don't want to violate etiquette or protocol.

b.t.w Thanks for that good constructive feedback you gave me on one of my tunes. i was able to make it lot more musical and logical thanks to your help.

tovo

Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:47 am

Great question Michele, although I'm not sure that my rambling answer will do your question any justice.

I like the busking threads a lot, and kudos to Chris for having that great idea. I'm sure we all have tunes that we love and want to share with our TG friends. I think that's a cool thing. I like having a place to put tunes that I just like, not necessarily one that I want to have reviewed. I'm not sure I agree with the notion that if it's not a Target tune it shouldn't be reviewed or that there is no teaching value in it. Anyway, it's Neil who decides what he wants to review and what he doesn't. I don't think we need too many hard and fast rules on everything. I gotta say I don't understand the problem with posting the same tune as someone else. So what? I'm all for being polite so I sure won't criticize anyone who feels it appropriate to PM people about posting the same tune as them, but I don't see it as a big deal.

All I know is that the busking threads have introduced me to some great tunes and some great playing. What's SO bad about performing anyway? It's not a dirty word. It's just music!

AndyT

Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:47 am

First, I need to apologize. I made a poor choice of words. I said, 'show' or maybe even 'showing off', and simply forgot the negative inferences it has. Here in Hawaii, 'Show' is commonly used in place of 'perform' so I hope you will re-read my post in that light.

I really like the busking threads. I think Bill hit it right on when he likened it to an 'open mic night'. Great stuff here. Makes me happy to be part of it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic