When do you post in the busking channel rather than the review channel and why?

michelew

Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:21 am

Maybe this is a stupid question and the answers are obvious. But, to those of you using the busking channel, why do you post there instead of the review one (they are often TARGET songs) and why at all?

I just read the following comment from Andy in the positive/negative comments thread and it's got me wondering.

AndyT wrote:
The other thing is the busking thread. Since it's not really there for comment, more for show, do you feel free to make the same level or kind of comments you would normally?
Much of what I'm about to write is a repeat of my response to that post, but bear with me.

I've seen a few comments that suggest that the busking threads are just for show, and maybe I'm being paranoid, but also for showing off and that they are not intended to solicit comments. I'd just like to say that whenever I post anything anywhere I welcome constructive criticism. Of course it's nice getting a pat on the back, but if people can see something I can do better and show me how to get there then bring it on. As far as I'm concerned that's just going to make me a better musician. I don't know how others feel, but that's my take.

I post in the busking threads for a number of reasons:

- because someone has started a great thread like the Beatles and I've used it as a prompt to finish a song I've been working on and get it up. It helps with my goals and gives me closure.
- because I've already received lots of reviews from Neil, and because I know that we have lots of experienced and perceptive members who volunteer suggestions anyway
- because it actually takes the pressure off slightly and allows me to relax, a little mind you
- it gives me a chance to learn and upload non-target songs
- because it's fun and
- of course because it's nice to show that you've tackled something and largely conquered it or gettign there and to get some positive feedback - hopefully.

I'd be interested to hear why others post in the busking threads instead of the review channel, why and in fact why they post at all.

Again these might be silly questions, but i'd love to hear your views. .

Ta

Michele

auntlynnie

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:27 am

Well lots is going on around here, one question raises another and another and another, not a single boring moment goes by, haha! :P

I can only speak for myself of course, but the answers about this question is very clear to me..

I use the review-channel when I've áctually worked on a song, a target-song, and to show the results of that to Neil and everyone else.

I use the busking-channel whenever I'm in the mood to play and share music with others and yes I feel that way quite a lot, because I just absoletely lóve doing so! It's just a whole lotta fun and a bit more relaxing, but just a 'bit'. ;)

'Show off'......hmmmm...I'd rather think of it as 'sharing'...and I love watching éverybody else's videos, that's for sure! They are also very inspiring to learn a new song myself or to get songs out of the closet and to share them.

That's about it..

Am also curious how everyone else feels about this..

Ness

willem

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:44 am

For me the busking thread is a bit relaxing and is the kind of playing i do when i have the friends evening(night's?) and it feels the same in sharing it with TG community(friends) ,but suggestions or comments or a pat on the back or more are welcome..

When it is a Target song never showed!!! i would upload it for review as well.

This is a learning site but having fun with each other is just great,, i like(love) everything what's going on here.

Oh,for the busking!! i carry my guitar only in his bag on the street!!! but you never know..

haoli25

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:58 am

Perhaps there are clear guidelines written down somewhere, but I haven't read them.

I see the Review Channel as a one-on one with Neil, teacher and student.

To me, the Busking Channel is more like a TG version of 'Open Mic Night'. In those videos I don't even notice if the hand position is correct, the thumb is over the top of the neck, all notes are clean, etc. Its more about the sharing than the technique. Hell, someone could post a strumming campfire version of "The Sage" if they wanted to. :) I like the freeform nature of the Busking Channel.

my 1 cents worth......

Bill

jayswett

Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:56 am

I'm with Bill. If I'd like a video to be considered for review by Neil, it goes in the Student Review secttion. The analogy with an open mic night is a good one for the Busking threads. Regarding the concept of showing off, nobody shows off at an open mic night. Yes, he or she puts forth his or her best effort and hopes that the perfromance is well received, but certainly that does not constitute showing off. The same can be said for the busking threads here at TG. As other recent discussions have so clearly demonstrated, the message for all TG students, beginner, intermediate or advanced, is this: post your videos, and let all of us learn from and enjoy them.

wammer

Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:15 am

"Walk-by acts" are typically with the busker providing a musical or entertaining ambiance. There is no distinct beginning or end and the crowds do not particularly stop to watch. Sometimes an intended walk by act will spontaneously turn into a circle show.

"Café busking" is done mostly in restaurants, pubs, bars and cafes. Musicians can frequently be found using this venue with the performers doing a show in return for tips and gratuities offered. Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan and Joan Baez all used this venue early on in their careers. Making a living on the piano bar principle (i.e. for tips) is done in a range of genres, including jazz, rock, and even "light" Classical style. Diverse artists like Jimmy Durante and Andrea Bocelli have used this venue. Perhaps one of the most famous of these is Billy Joel, who rose to fame from working in piano bars. His hit song "Piano Man" was written about a six month stint he did in 1972 at the "Executive Room" piano bar in Los Angeles.

:laugh: And what Bill and Jay said..............

Lavallee

Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:51 am

I agree with the above posters, its is not a show off thing whether it is easy or requires a lot of work to post a busking song.Busking is to make a difference between requiring a review from Neil or not . He might still give a review from a busking song, it is his call as Matt said. It is to give a theme of presentation. I do not see why people could not comment on busking. Again it is all for fun.

Marc

suziko

Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:16 am

I agree with most everything said here. I see the busking channel more as a "just for fun" venue. I uploaded Pearly Shells to a busking thread. It's a Target song and I did work hard on it, but I had a very different feeling about it than I have had about other songs that I've uploaded for review. I wanted to post something to entertain everyone. If I got some constructive feedback from people (including Neil) that would have been great, but my goal was to entertain. If we'd had the busking channel back when I posted Henry Lee, I would have posted it to that channel instead of the Student Review channel.

I upload something to the Student review channel when my main purpose is to solicit feedback and to demonstrate some sort of clear progress I've made as a guitarist- a new technique I've been working on, or playing a song that is a higher level than I've tackled before.

But as others have said, I see no reason why people can't comment and give help when someone posts to a busking thread. For example, when Brad posted Heart of Gold to the Busking Neil Young thread, a lot of people gave him some great advice on improving the way he plays the riffs in it. I'm sure Brad very much appreciated the help.

Suzi

dennisg

Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:37 am

I think everyone who's posted in this thread is pretty much right, which is exactly why I avoid posting in the busking threads. I put a lot of work into the songs I learn, whether they sound simple or difficult, and I always allow for the possibility that Neil might review them, which would be wonderful. Even my goofy birthday songs go through the Student Review Channel on the hope that Neil might find some universal flaws in my playing and share them with the community. There's not a thing I play that I put up for entertainment purposes only. Everything's a potential learning opportunity. That's not to say I don't admire what other people do in the busking threads -- I've seen some great performances there, Suzi's Pearly Shells being just one of them.

MarkM

Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:35 am

These great questions keep coming up. For me I think I've only used the busking channel once or twice. The Stones song Dead Flowers that I did I started a Rolling Stones thread. I put it there because, to be frank, I didn't think it would be reviewed by Neil. It is a non-target song and the lyrics are....... shall we say..... a bit on the risque side....not knowing if this would offend anyone or not. I did however want feedback as it was the first time I actually sang and played at the same time. Albeit a bit sketchy on both counts. The songs I post for the offical review channel are certainly Target songs or ones that I think Neil may want to use as a teaching moment, something that I am having difficulty with or a new technique that I'm learning. Regardless of putting a song in the review or busking channel, I put it up here on TG because I've worked hard on the song and need the feeback to see if I'm on the right track. For instance I'm working on a song now that I've been practicing all week. I didn't think I would be able to do it as I've started and stopped so many times over the past year because it was out of my comfort zone and uncomfortable for me to play. It is a target song in this case but could well be something else. I hope to post that in the next couple of days to see if I've progressed in "your" eyes or where I can fix an issue. When many eyes are looking and listening to a song I feel I'm much more able to get respones that can help me out. Much better then just I judgeing my performance as I'll have blinders on and can't tell if true progress is being made.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic