Kodak Zi8 video camera

jimcjimc

Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:29 pm

I notice that quite a few folks here have the Kodak Zi8 video camera. I recently bought one also (US$99 at amazon.com plus another $30 for a 16 GB card). I had some questions for the Zi8 users:

- What setting do you use when you make your videos?

- What external mikes do you use or have found work well or don't work well?

- I installed the Kodak ArcSoft MediaImpression software on my PC. I notice it has a video editor and movie maker feature - has anyone used this software instead of MS Moviemaker or GarageBand?

- Do you recommend any of the accessories?

- Other comments?

Thanks,

Jim

PS - For folks interested in making videos, there is a lot of info in the forum one can find by searching on "Zi8" or "recording" or "microphone" or "audacity" or scrolling through wall posts and discussions in the TG Video Techies Group.

dennisg

Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:16 pm

Several of us use this camera. I have it set on a low resolution and indoor light. I've noticed that even when I don't actually use indoor lights, it still exposes well. A lot of mics will work well, and depending whether you're talking about recording your voice or your guitar, that would the thing to talk to a salesperson about. I use a Shure SM-58 for my voice. I don't mic my guitar since it and the voice mic plug directly into my Roland amp. I go from the Line Out jacks on the amp to the External Mic jack on the camera. Seems to work fine, when I have the volumes properly set. I use a Mac and have all the necessary software, so I don't bother with any of the software that comes with the camera. The only accessories I would recommend are decent mic stands and a tripod for the camera.

suziko

Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:32 pm

DennisG wrote:
and a tripod for the camera

Or a piece of foam with a slit cut in it to shove your camera into works amazingly well and is dirt cheap :)

millponddave

Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:33 pm

What a timely topic. I just bought a Zi8 myself and have the same questions. I bought my son a Tascam DP-008 and am hoping that I can use that along with the camera. Seem's like it should work so I guess we'll see.

Dave

neverfoundthetime

Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi Jim

I record at 1080p.
I just download the take from the camera, convert to AVI and use AVS or MovieMaker to edit the video.
I have only used the inbuilt camera mic so far.
Works well enough.

Chasplaya

Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:08 pm

Having heard so much about this camera I went to the local store and made enquiries,only to be told (in NZ anyway) it was discontinued and replaced by the new Zx3 which is also waterproof to 3m.

Guess I'd have to play Handel's Water Music.

Specs say nothing about external mic though.

reiver

Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:35 pm

I use a Zi8 too and have been VERY disappointed with the sound quality recently. I've had to resort to recording in Audacity and adding it to the video using Sony Vegas Movie Studio - which is working out OK but more effort than I'd wanted. Looks like I'm the only one to be experiencing these problems.

I record at 720p.

Stuart

tovo

Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:20 am

I record at 1080, I use a Rode external mic which is a huge improvement over the internal mic. Any decent external mic would do. When I download the movie to my mac it downloads in .mov format. I convert that to .mp4 and upload. Pretty easy. I love Suzi's tip on the foam. Very clever. I use my Nikon Camera tripod. I think it's a great camera at a great price. I couldn't believe I could buy a HD camera for under 200 bucks. Maybe I'm easily impressed.

Actually...I'm impressed that they sell any sort of camera in NZ. They must be catching up.

Chasplaya

Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:51 am

tovo wrote:

Actually...I'm impressed that they sell any sort of camera in NZ. They must be catching up.
They are just simply amazing you get this cool black cloth to hide under when you use it so the light doesn't get in!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic