OPEN MIC NIGHT

Lavallee

Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:22 pm

Vanessa what happened to your description and Pictures?

Marc

buddy

Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:17 pm

I agree with Marc that this would be a great thread for others to share their open mic experiences as well. I would love to hear others experiences and see pictures or videos. I would also really like to hear what worked you as well as I am looking for tips so I can make this a regular thing.

Come on Ness, let's see those pics or videos !!!!

Bud

willem

Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:32 pm

Oh gosh, I'm sorry guys, after all the threads lately I'm just being insecure here... :unsure:

But here's another go:

I'll share two experiences....I know you've asked before Marc! ;)

The first one was when I was 12 years old, about to leave elementary school, so this was an occasion for everyone to anticipate in whatever way. At the time I was playing in this little band and we just wrote our own songs and we did perform this at that moment. As for myself, my dad and I wrote this song about 'school' wich I performend by myself and I was accompanied by the drummer. It was fun of course! I remember in those days I really didn't think about it at all, I was of course nervous and all, but it's different now...the only thing that I did worry about all the time was the balance between my mic and guitar. I'll get into that in a second..

The second one was a couple of years ago, in this one I performed with my sister who is a singer..We've had these talent shows like Idols, X-factor (in wich my sister had appeared) and Popstars. And a duo had released a single after anticipating X-factor and invited a lot of other contestants to perform on that occasion. Well what can I say, things went well and it was great to perform together!

One thing that I always worry about or see to it, is the sound....and specifically the balance between the vocals and my guitar, to me there is no worse thing as one sounding to loud or to soft compared to the other. So as for preparation, a soundcheck is crucial. A performance can be totally ruined whenever the sound isn't right, so for that I'm always very into taking care of that before I go up...and sure sometimes it's not possible, then it's out of my reach, however I would say to everyone doing such a thing: If it ís possible, make sure the sound is mixed right!

Another important thing is, at least that's how I feel, you really have to be aware of the audience and you have to interact....just lóok at them, smíle! Music is about sharing, not you just playing...React on their responses in whatever way. Check out wich songs work and wich don't. So when you make a setlist, think about what the audience might like, not necessarily what yóu like yourself the most..try to see in what mood they are, do they want to dance? Or just sit still and listen to you? And this changes during a performance, so be aware of the reaction from the audience and be flexible..

Anyway, this is some of my experiences and things that I find important when performing...I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff wich I will think of later..

Cheers

Ness Image

sbutler

Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:34 pm

And here is the other one! Image

MarkM

Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:20 pm

Buddy,

That is just great. Congratulations!!!! It took alot of nerve what you did to get up on open mic night. Hopefully someday I'll feel comfortable enough to take that giant leap. Next time you go it would be great to see some video of you expierence.

MarkM

Lavallee

Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:06 pm

Thanks for sharing Vanessa, you were already talented at a young age. It is great that you kept the pictures. Sound is everything in music as you said.

Marc

Lavallee

Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:07 pm

Buddy this guy wants to record a song with you. How much better can it be?

Marc

AndyT

Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:27 am

Do you have any video of it Buddy? I know you had a great time. Good stuff!

buddy

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:51 pm

Thanks all, I must admit I am pretty stoked about how things went. What a rush to put it out their and have a ball doing it.

Ness, what great pictures of your experience, thanks for putting those up.

No video as it was a last minute thing and this was a sort of private atmosphere. maybe I could sneak one in for next time.

Bud

eagle670

Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:02 am

Way to go Buddy. That is a giant step to overcome and you did it. Bravo man!

Have the webcam running next time and we'll be your virtual support team.

Kevin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic